Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car Insurance- Like TV subscriptions, not rewarding the long term customers?

Options
  • 12-09-2011 4:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

I have car insurance with 25plus.ie, not a insurance company many would have heard of, but they're underwritten by one of the largest insurance companies in the UK, Chartis. Last year their fully comped quote for me, including full bonus protection of 6 years, was €477, which was far and away the cheapest I could get.

This year the quote emailed to me was €610. Although I understand that car insurance has gone up in the last year, I thought it was too high so I shopped around. 123.ie were the best, for the same type of insurance with as many perks as I currently have, offered insurance for €550.

I rang my insurers back and lied about the current offer of insurance from 123.ie, I told them it was offered to me at €507.86, and just like that, they matched it.

So why do I have to go through the ringer just to get cheap car insurance from a company I've been loyal to for 3 years? Why don't they offer me their best possibe price? And why is it the same with other companies, notably UPC, that being a long term customer is something they take as a given, and don't try to perk up your loyalty with little extras every now and then? If I buy 6 coffees from McDonalds they'll give me one free for example.

Just curious as to know whats the reason for this, Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

ALBUR182 wrote: »
    So why do I have to go through the ringer just to get cheap car insurance from a company I've been loyal to for 3 years? Why don't they offer me their best possibe price?

same thing happened me, it's simple really. it is Greed simple as that. they are all a shower of Greedy fcukers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,229 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

Insurance companies do this in an attempt to make a few extra euro. You'd be surprised the amount of people who don't bother shopping around and just pay whatever the insurance company send them out.

I had a similar experience this year with axa, I'd consider myself a long term customer@ 10 years and for most of the 10 years had 2 motor policy's and house insurance. My premium jumped from €350 to €600 on my car insurance. I rang them to cancel the policy and told them I'd gotten insurance quote for €300 with all the extras ( where in fact I hadn't but was chancing my arm :) ) straight away it was matched. Speaking to a girl who works for axa she told me they always quote you high in the off chance you let policy lapse into the following year and pay the extra.

Whiter you could call it dishonesty,a rip-off or just good auld Irish chancery I don't know, but I do know it's always worth haggling with them come renewal time :)

Btw Quinn direct are the only ones Ive heard of that don't really care if you get a cheaper quote elsewhere!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

same for me axa added an extra 200 lids 123 reduced the current price by same so fcuk you axa,tried Quinn and they tripled the price after been previously with them for ten year so they can go fcuk off too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭CptMackey

I had been with axa for 3years. I have 6years no claims and the quoted 1000 quid this year for the car. Last year it was 550. So I shopped around and got it for 500. Rang axa and they basically shrugged their shoulders and said not matching that

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

In my 15 years of driving, not once have an insurance company ever given a me a competitive quote first time. One one or two occasions in the past when I had made a claim, I had no choice but to stick with the same company. However I always make a point of shopping around and pushing hard to get a better price.

I know when I made a claim, I was punished and rightly so.. so why the hell should I be punished for others mistakes and insurance companies greed and inability to manage their money properly.

If its not the banks, its the insurance companies who are ripping us off and then trying to make out like they are saints only providing us with a service..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭AeoNGriM

CptMackey wrote: »
    I had been with axa for 3years. I have 6years no claims and the quoted 1000 quid this year for the car. Last year it was 550. So I shopped around and got it for 500. Rang axa and they basically shrugged their shoulders and said not matching that

I cannot understand why they would refuse you. Chances are you won't make a claim, so it's free money for them for doing absolutely nothing. Cnuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

AeoNGriM wrote: »
    I cannot understand why they would refuse you. Chances are you won't make a claim, so it's free money for them for doing absolutely nothing. Cnuts.

I was the same, about 4 years ago, I had been with Axa for about 6 years. Called then up with a quote for €2oo less than my renewal, they wouldn't budge.

But every year, I still check everywhere and go back to my ins company with the quotes. I got a quote for €40 less than Tesco, called them, they wouldn't reduce the renewal but they gave me a lower excess for free.

Advertisement