Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

00 Ford Focus 1.6 Zetec 2 problems for price of one

• 12-09-2011 5:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭

Problem one: Difficult gearchange when hot, clutch problems most likely?
    Is it worn out friction disc pressure plate? As far as I know gearbox oil never changed and also the hydraulic fluid not changed either.
    And how much would something like that cost to fix? No DMF in this old thing I think......

I think this is a cable operated gearbox - is there any point to replacing / adjusting this assembly? Is this something that goes on them?

Problem 2 burning oil: I think the stem oil seals can go on these, but it probably wouldn't use much oil that way, and it does seem to use a good bit of oil. (my sisters description, it's her car)
    Are worn bores/rings an issue on these around the 120K miles mark?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 273 ✭✭hrcbob

Not sure about the 1.6 but the 2.0 is hydraulic clutch. could be a leaky slave cylinder maybe? The one for the 2.0 is about 80 quid!!!

Stem seals gone will leave the car a bit smokey when started from stone cold. It will be the engine tryin to burn off the oil that leaked after the engine had stopped..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Gear linkages would need adjusting to resolve the stiff gear changes. A small job to do with that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

I noticed some smoke when cold, not a huge amount. Though they seem to have a reputation in the 1.6 for bad oil control rings.

Hal would the bad linkage only show up when hot? A lubricant problem is likely, but bad linkage is very likely on 00 reg. SHould the cables be replaced at this stage or they will adjust up ok? A quick browse of the halfords "library" shows it's not toooo hard to adjust them.

I noticed when mine is cold it can be difficult to change to 1st, 2nd. When shes at running temp this can improve, but other times this is not the case. What I do is pump the clutch 2 or 3 times when stopped and this sorts it out. The linkages can be adjusted manually, but I haven't attempted it.

If pumping the clutch fixes the prob its a clutch prob wouldnt you think?? Most likely a leaky cylinder,, check for dropping fluid levels..

• Advertisement

The level always stays the same on mine, with no obivious leaks visable or pattern on drive. I've read up on this problem and it's a known problem on the mk1. An adjustment of the gear linkage cables sorts it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,502 ✭✭✭✭guil

afaik there is no adjustment on the linkages, they are just cables and are mounted on brackets at the gearbox and gear stick, the clutch is hydraulic in all focus'

If mine has been parked for a while the clutch pedal creeps to the floor so i have to put my toe under it and lift it up before it will clear properly.. I have an ap racing pressure plate and disc in it thou so it might be because of the heavy duty pressure plate springs..

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Moby

If there is a lot of smoke when you start the car ,its likely the valve stem seals.This is because when the car is idle oil seeps down the valve and burns when you start it. If its smokey when you are driving the rings is more likely the problem.

Advertisement