Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog just spayed and turned aggressive!

• 12-09-2011 6:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 47

I have two jack russell terriers, Bella who's three years old and Esme who's nearly two. I recently got Esme spayed, she's been fully healed up for three weeks. Since she's been done though she's become really aggressive towards Bella, which never would have happened before.

It generally starts with Esme trying to dominate Bella in some way, mostly by humping her, you know the way dogs do! Bella retaliates, tries to get away or starts growling, and straight away the two dogs just go for each other. Now I mean they really go for it, it takes me ages to separate them. They cling to each others necks and they will not let go. It's very savage fighting.

It happens if I give attention to Bella, Esme will start it. If I give attention to Esme and Bella wanders over, Esme goes for her. But today, I was putting back on Esme's collar and Bella came over. Esme starts growling so I know it's going to kick off. I pick up Esme with the intention of going inside the house and keeping them apart. She jumped out of my arms and went for Bella. But I got to pick Bella up just before they got to each other. Went to run in the house and Esme started jumping at me, growling really viciously and was trying to bite my arm. I had to call for my other half to come out of the house and get Esme away. Now I know she was only trying to get at Bella, but it terrified me. She was never like this before. She's always been a good natured dog and the same with Bella. But now the two of them are becoming frightening in the way the carry on.

From watching it, it seems they only go at it when I'm around to see it. They could be outside all day, but if I call them inside to where I am, they'll start straight away. It has to be something got to do with getting attention.

Has anybody has this issue before, or any advice on what to do or what's causing this all of a sudden?? The fights are so bad between them I'm going to have to get rid of one of them and I really don't want to.:(

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 170 ✭✭Groom!

Is Bella neutered?

I think you might need to get a little professional help with this one. A dog trainer coming to the house might be the answer.

My aunt has 3 JRT's all litter mates. They are about 3 years old and all neutered. She has to keep them separate when she is out as they regularly fight with each other.

Only 2 weeks ago she got badly bitten on her chest after lifting one of them up.

Just be careful, separate them if you can and need to and get some good advice but don't give up on them yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 niamhsiobhan

My dad said that too actually. . . Then Dad seen them fight today, I think he thought I was being dramatic when was describing it. He soon saw though. Maybe its some kind of behavioral issue that can be fixed with a dog trainer, but you still have to ask why this only kicked off after we got her done. People say dogs aren't changed when they are neutered and I would always have said the same. Now I'm not so sure.

The plan was to get Bella done shortly anyway, just trying to gather up the money. Didn't realize it would be so expensive either.

I'm afraid what happened to your aunt will happen to me one of these days. For such little dogs they have such personality complexes sometimes!

Thanks Groom

What has your aunt done with hers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 170 ✭✭Groom!

She still has them! She has had dogs for donkeys years and is very experienced, especially with JRT's. But she didn't see that one coming. The bite was not aimed at her at all, but the dog was still so wound up and was trying to wriggle out of her arms and that's when she got bitten.

She keeps them in 3 separate rooms if she goes out, and otherwise just keeps a very close eye on them. They are perfect 99% of the time. That is only the second fight in a year and they know how to fight that's for sure.

I think if you get Bella neutered as a matter of urgency that might help the behaviour, but get a second opinion on this from your vet. Also, maybe get your neutered dog vet checked again in case she has a UTI (urinary tract infection) as she might be in pain with something.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Two things occur to me.
    Firstly, it can be easy to assume that when a dog is up and about doing normal things after an op, that all is well. However, I have no doubt that many females are in a fair bit of discomfort for some weeks following a spay. Not enough to disable them, but certainly enough to make them irritable.
    So, I'd be looking into pain control for the next few weeks. Many vets scoff at this, but recently a vet admitted to me that as she has rarely had to live with a recently spayed female, who's she to say that many of her patients aren't in discomfort afterwards, even though the books say they shouldn't be! Think about it... Would a doctor send a woman home immediately after a hysterectomy with no pain control and expect them to be fine?
    The second thing I'm thinking is that anaesthetic can have quite a significant on behaviour for some dogs following any op, not just a spay.
    So, I think I'd be inclined to use crates or a playpen, as if you were introducing a new dog to the house, and keep the dogs in visual contact but physically separate. Slowly, slowly merge them back together, in the hope that both potential health complications have sorted themselves out soon. Bring them out for several short walks together each day. Take away toys and chews for now. And work on petting one for a second, then moving to the other to pet her, then back to the other etc, so they re-learn that even though you're giving one attention, the other doesn't have to wait too long for her turn!
    But certainly, crates/playpen will be an important part of this, as the more they fight now, the harder it'll be to repair their relationship.
    Good luck!

Ps, have just noticed Bella is not spayed yet. Could she be coming into heat anytime soon? Could Esme have been anywhere close to coming into heat when she was spayed? Finally, as a matter of interest, how come Esme was the one chosen to be done first?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

the dog you neutered, her horomones are up in the air right now, it will take weeks, months for all to simmer down, i suppose the little girl dog is sick of the other dog trying to hump her, i dont blame her for getting mad, as your dog was older when neutered, it will take a while for her horomones to settle down, and as for people getting bitten by jack russells, they need a stern hand now and then to remind them that you are the boss, i have three beautiful jrt,s from the one family, i have one boy and two girls, even though they all got spayed at six months of age, she still tries to hump the others now and then and they get cross, letting er know that he had better stop, they all get on great, they sleep on the couch every night together, i would not dare be seperating them, i would rather stop them on their tracks when they misbehave, and they are doing fine, they will be two yrs in two weeks time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

A water pistol is very effective at separating dogs. An empty, well washed plastic lemon is great. Stops most fights fast.

Our two still "argue" loudly after six years together. Sounds horriific but it is simply an unresolved dominance issue.

Are you feeding them together?

Sorry I was working for the last couple of days, only getting back on here now. It is a pretty major op I guess, you kind of forget you know. Her hormones are probably up and down like ye all say. Just because her scar has healed up doesn't mean she's completely over it. I'm just going to have to watch them I guess and integrate them back together. It's just funny that it only happens when I'm around. They sleep together, eat together, go around outside together and there's not an issue at all. They're like a little dynamic duo! It's only when I step into the picture that it happens.

I've been bringing out treats with me when I go to play with them. I give them a treat, or throw their ball and toys when I see things are heating up or one of them is becoming tense. It diffuses the situation quickly. Also tried the water pistol thing, they were not impressed with me but it did the trick! Will use it again!

I didn't mention in my original post, Esme had an "accidental" litter of pups maybe six months ago. Didn't even realise she was heat and it just happened. Our local collie dog did the job! She had seven, no issues. We kept two of the pups. So we have Bella, Esme and her two pups. There's no problems with the pups in regards to fighting. It just happens between Esme and Bella. Don't know if that changes anything but it might be of interest. Also there was no particular reason in getting Esme done up first. Both of them had to be done, and my partner just picked Esme.

Thanks so much for everyone's replies.

Advertisement