Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smooth / "pate" type catfood??

• 12-09-2011 7:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 170 ✭✭

One of my cats needs to go on a smooth food diet.

Even the "oh so fishy" & "oh so meaty" pouches are a bit chunky for her. She licks all the gravy & jelly off everything but won't really chew the meat. She is 10 and might have kidney problems (waiting for blood test results) so the vet has said to put her on wet food only for the moment. (with maybe a tiny bit of dry after if she has eaten the wet)

Should I liquidise it? Is there any very smooth catfood pate?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

Some of the sheba foil tubs are pate types. There's also an expensive one you can only buy at the vets - hills recovery I think. Might be worth it if she doesn't have a big appetite.

btw my cats have nothing wrong with them, and they also lick all the jelly and gravy off leaving the chunks. They only get dry food now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

Mine licks all the gravy off also so what I started doing was mashing the whole lot up with warm water to the point it looks like mushy soup! Hills a/d is very soft palatable mushy pate type but you'd have to check with the vet first before feeding if there's a chance of kidney problems.

Bozita wet food in gravy is what I feed and I find it really gravey and she seems to like it! Try the little gourmet tins I think one of them is a soft pate type food.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

We cannot give one of our cats any commerical food; she gets cystitis from all and any of it. The tinned food makes them pee within a few minutes.

We tried the urinary diet but the same happened and we think it is the grain content in it.

So back to the raw chicken etc. And being woken in the night by the sound of bones being crunched..

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭cotton

Jasper, my 17 year old does this too. She’s on wet only as she’s only a couple of front teeth left. She gets inflammation in her back gums & we always know when she’s due her injection as she licks all the goo off but refuses to chew the meat.

Almo Nature Cat Food is really good for her when her gums get sore. It’s slivers of meat/fish in a kind of broth. If your cat does have kidney problems, this is great as the broth gets extra fluids into them & is recommended for crf. They also do a Bio pate version.
    (The reason your vet has said wet food is most likely to get the extra fluids into her.)
    Ziwipeak is great too. It’s a mushy food that they don’t need to eat a lot of.

Sheba & all the other brands like that do pate versions but I’d be really worried about the nutritional value of them, especially their protein levels if you are dealing with kidney issues.

Good luck with the results!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Zooplus have a wet food called Katovit (sp?) that is for kidney problems, its a smooth pate type food. I have gotten it a few times, cats seem to like it.
    They have a few foods for kidney problems so worth a look.

http://www.zooplus.ie/shop/cats/canned_cat_food_pouches/kattovit
    Thats the one^scroll down a little, they do all kinds of food for health issues.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 250 ✭✭DuPLeX

My cat licks off the gravy or jelly first and then walks away but returns and eats the rest later when she realizes she's not getting anything else . she has no medical issues

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Home prepared can be good re kidney issues too as you can regulate ingredients. Rice cooked in meat or fish stock can be liquidised and other ingredients added then. Raw can also be given in this way,

I am getting loud objections to the no-more-tinned-dried-food, but tough,,, Litter tray is clear of blood again today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 170 ✭✭Groom!

Thanks a mil everyone for great suggestions.
    Cotton: where would I find those brothy brands of food?

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭cotton

Maxizoo do the Almo Nature & Mollys in Dun Laoghaire do the ziwipeak (this one isn't brothy.)
    Another good one is applaws, Carwash (Brenda's Pets) does it I think.
    All can be got on zooplus too.
    If your kitty does have kidney problems & you need any advice, let me know. I've been through CRF with one of mine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 170 ✭✭Groom!

Thanks everyone for your advice.

Cotton: the vet rang me this evening and confirmed my worst fears. She does have a kidney problem.

I have to pick up Fortekor for her tomorrow though how I am going to give it to her I have no idea. The vet could not even get a pill into her the other day for her sore mouth,

ANyway she reckons it would be at about a stage 2/3 out of 5 stages. She is 10 years old.

I have to give her lots of wet food and if she does not eat for 2 consecutive days I have to bring her in for fluids.

The vet was reasonably optimistic. I can't even think of down the road what will happen. This is my daughter's cat and she has just gone into 6th year and idolises the cat.

Any advice would be so welcome.
    (mods: should I set up a separate thread, or are there any other threads about kidney problems in cats?)

• Advertisement
Advertisement