Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Galway?

Options
  • 12-09-2011 7:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭

Hi there,

I have just accepted a job offer to work in Galway, but as I have never visited before could do with some advice.

Could you recommend the best places/websites to house hunt for a shared house (I feel that moving to a shared house provides me with a good way of meeting new people)? Are there any particular areas that I should be aiming for?
    I have read that Daft.ie is a good website, and that the Glaway advertiser is also a useful tool. I am planning to visit for a weekend next month in order to house hunt so want to line up some appointments for then...

But any, and all, advice would be great - it sounds like such a lovely City and am really looking forward to moving over from the UK!

Many thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Hi, welcome to the forum.
    How to find a place to live, as you said - www.daft.ie and Galway Advertiser classifieds online.

Most areas are good but try to move quite close to work, traffic is bad and travelling across town during peak hours is terrible.

You've probably read a lot of moving to Galway threads but tbh, once you're here you'll be grand. The first few weeks may be tricky with setting up accounts etc but then it'll be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭silvara

Hi,

Thanks for responding to my post :-)
    Good to know about the traffic - are the buses usually pretty reliable? I don't drive so need to rely on public transport or buy a push bike.

Can you recommend any threads or websites about what to do once you arrive? Such as if I should open an Irish bank account and that kind of thing?

Again many thanks for your advice!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Do you know what part of Galway the job is in ? This would probably be a major factor in deciding where to look for a house share. On the east side of the city, the no 9 bus is mostly at 15 min intervals. On the west side (fewer jobs over there) there are 2 bus companies doing a regular service; the state operator Bus Eireann and a private one CityBus.

There are some threads here (the Galway forum) about certain property letting agencies you might read ....

The online classifieds section of the Galway Advertiser site is updated on Wednesdays at about 2-3PM, the paper itself comes out on Thursday.

Its in Galway Technology Centre, Mervue

I found a place that sounded good in Shantalla - would that be a pain to get to from there?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

The 2 or 4 buses might do you (they'd stop outside the Eye cinema opposite the Huntsman pub at the Moneenageisha lights, a short walk from the GTC), but consider the areas Mervue, Renmore, Wellpark, Riverside. You might have a look at http://www.galwaytransport.info/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭ciotog

silvara wrote: »
    Its in Galway Technology Centre, Mervue

I found a place that sounded good in Shantalla - would that be a pain to get to from there?
    If it's Bioware that you're joining, they're moving from Mervue to Parkmore in the near future so the areas mentioned (on the east side of the city) would make a lot of sense. Getting on the No. 9 bus route would make some sense.

ciotog wrote: »
    If it's Bioware that you're joining, they're moving from Mervue to Parkmore in the near future so the areas mentioned (on the east side of the city) would make a lot of sense. Getting on the No. 9 bus route would make some sense.

Yes it is - I wasn't aware that they would be moving so thats very useful to know!

bonzodog2 wrote: »
    The 2 or 4 buses might do you (they'd stop outside the Eye cinema opposite the Huntsman pub at the Moneenageisha lights, a short walk from the GTC), but consider the areas Mervue, Renmore, Wellpark, Riverside. You might have a look at http://www.galwaytransport.info/

Thanks for the info and the link - its all a great help :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 195 ✭✭bigtuna

http://www.buseireann.ie/pdf/1290178711-Galway_City.pdf

This is a link for the bus routes in Galway. It might help when trying to find something near work. The number 9 is the most regular of all the buses.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Gingko

Cé bhfuil tú Silvara? Fáilte go gáillimh! (how are you and welcome).

Galway is a very small city! Don't worry about "commute". It's usually best to find somewhere nice to live first! General Salthill area is by far the nicest. You have beautiful views over the Bay and The Burren. The promenade goes all the way into the centre. There is even a cycle lane. There are places to lock your bike at Spannish Arch area and then you can hop on the bus to Mervue.

Unless of course you want to live in the centre itself? But it is quite tiring re party nature of Galway! Lower Salthill is perfect in many ways. 10 min walk to Spannish arch area. Shantalla is ok, It was an old council estate many years ago but now its predominantly private owned. It can be grim though!! Grey walls and houses facing each other.

Hold out for somewhere nicer and you will enjoy Galway all the more. Hope your move works out. Enjoy! Slán :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

bigtuna wrote: »
    http://www.buseireann.ie/pdf/1290178711-Galway_City.pdf

This is a link for some of the bus routes in Galway. It might help when trying to find something near work. The number 9 is the most regular of all the buses.

fixed that for ya ... :p

There's a mighty big bit of the city that BÉ don't cover, and their diagram hides it.

http://www.galwaytransport.info/2008/12/summary-map-galw-ay-city-services.html covers the whole city, and lays it on google maps so you can find other stuff relative to the bus routes too.

Gingko wrote: »

Galway is a very small city! Don't worry about "commute". It's usually best to find somewhere nice to live first! General Salthill area is by far the nicest. You have beautiful views over the Bay and The Burren. The promenade goes all the way into the centre. There is even a cycle lane. There are places to lock your bike at Spannish Arch area and then you can hop on the bus to Mervue.

Unless of course you want to live in the centre itself? But it is quite tiring re party nature of Galway! Lower Salthill is perfect in many ways. 10 min walk to Spannish arch area. Shantalla is ok, It was an old council estate many years ago but now its predominantly private owned. It can be grim though!! Grey walls and houses facing each other.

Hold out for somewhere nicer and you will enjoy Galway all the more. Hope your move works out. Enjoy! Slán :)

Thanks very much for the welcome! :) I am really looking forward to moving over, starting a new adventure and meeting lots of new people (I currently know no one in the area at all)!
    Looking on daft.ie, it seems that a lot of available lets are in the Salthill area, so I shall certainly check some of them out since they are mainly in my price range... I enjoy walking, so am looking forward to exploring as much of the city as possible on foot (although I might invest in a bike later on)

JustMary wrote: »
    fixed that for ya ... :p

There's a mighty big bit of the city that BÉ don't cover, and their diagram hides it.

http://www.galwaytransport.info/2008/12/summary-map-galw-ay-city-services.html covers the whole city, and lays it on google maps so you can find other stuff relative to the bus routes too.

Perfect thanks! I am really glad I found these forums - everyone is so friendly and welcoming! :cool:

Galway is ultra social! You will have no problems making lots of new friends :)
    In fact it's just one big hang out!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

I presume because of our very helpful responses boards.ie Galway City members can avail of your Staff discounts now from Bioware (Via you lol)

Number 3 Bus I think is the one you need from Eyre Square. And I'd say if you're looking for a place to work pick someware like The Docks area , Wellpark or Bohamore.

I presume because of our very helpful responses boards.ie Galway City members can avail of your Staff discounts now from Bioware (Via you lol)

Number 3 Bus I think is the one you need from Eyre Square. And I'd say if you're looking for a place to work pick someware like The Docks area , Wellpark or Bohamore.

haha, well you never know! Let me start working for them first though!!! ;)But yes, they certainly make some of the best games out there...

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭gandroid

That would be...

Cén chaoi a' bhfuil tú? Fáilte go Gaillimh! :)

gandroid wrote: »
    That would be...

Cén chaoi a' bhfuil tú? Fáilte go Gaillimh! :)

Very true! Maith thú!!

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭gandroid

Very true! Maith thú!!

Ná habair é.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 mary_joe

Hi,

I started a job in Galway earlier this month.

Found a flat in an estate in Sailin, Wellpark.
    Can anyone give me any advice on whether or not it is a nice area to live in?

Thanks a mil!

• Advertisement

It's ok! Close to Lough Atalia I think? Short walk to city centre. Beside Cinema and shops. West of the bridge is better. Salthill etc.

BTW how is the Rahoon area? I seem to be lining up several appointments in that area...

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Rahoon can be hit and miss.
    Depends on the street/estate really.

Drive around the areas you're thinking of in the evening and look for modded cars, litter, vans, horses and anything you can think of that may be trouble.

Rahoon is one big grim estate putting it mildly. I have a friend leaving there at the moment, "Never Again" were his words! Same can be said for the "Westside" estate and Ballybane on the other side of the city.

Salthill, Lwr Salthill, Grattan, Devon park areas all decent. Use Google Earth for locations and photos and you will get idea.

One place I am looking at is at:

Caiseal Ur,
    Bothar Stiofain
    Rahoon

So let me know if you have heard that it is good/bad. We are now hiring a car for the three days that we will be there, so at least we can have a drive round as you say and check out the areas a bit...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Pinturicchio

Caiseal Ur,
    Bothar Stiofain
    Rahoon

So let me know if you have heard that it is good/bad. We are now hiring a car for the three days that we will be there, so at least we can have a drive round as you say and check out the areas a bit...

That's more like Knocknacara than Rahoon. Should be grand.

That's more like Knocknacara than Rahoon. Should be grand.

Phew! Thanks for getting back to me - was worried there for a moment!

Caiseal Ur,
    Bothar Stiofain
    Rahoon

Yea it's not in Rahoon itself. It is better for sure. The car idea is good! But nearer the ocean is always nicer! Depends on your budget? Check out Dún Na Carraige at blackrock, Salthill. Mixed development estate. Great location. Or even the Claggagh? Rooms are sometimes advertised there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Rahoon is one big grim estate putting it mildly. I have a friend leaving there at the moment, "Never Again" were his words! Same can be said for the "Westside" estate and Ballybane on the other side of the city.

Salthill, Lwr Salthill, Grattan, Devon park areas all decent. Use Google Earth for locations and photos and you will get idea.

Not true at all about Rahoon IMO!
    I lived there on and off a number of times over the years and always found it grand. Rahoon is not an estate but a pretty large area that encompasses council estates to preserved housing to 'posh' and everything in between. Bothar Stiofán is just a bit up from Rahoon Cemetey, off the Rahoon Rd, the far end pops out in Knocknacarra. It's grand, but tbh there are older and nicer estates a bit before it

there's pretty much only one Rahoon estate that has a less than savoury reputation, but an awful lot of estates with great communities, well kept and close to bus(es) and shops. See for yourself OP!

• Advertisement

inisboffin wrote: »
    Not true at all about Rahoon IMO!
    I lived there on and off a number of times over the years and always found it grand. Rahoon is not an estate but a pretty large area that encompasses council estates to preserved housing to 'posh' and everything in between. Bothar Stiofán is just a bit up from Rahoon Cemetey, off the Rahoon Rd, the far end pops out in Knocknacarra. It's grand, but tbh there are older and nicer estates a bit before it

there's pretty much only one Rahoon estate that has a less than savoury reputation, but an awful lot of estates with great communities, well kept and close to bus(es) and shops. See for yourself OP!

I shall next week - my first visit to Galway and I am really looking forward to it! But as am moving over by myself, I wanted to get some advice first from people who know the area well ;)

Advertisement