Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Galway?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭inisboffin

silvara wrote: »
    inisboffin wrote: »
    Not true at all about Rahoon IMO!
    I lived there on and off a number of times over the years and always found it grand. Rahoon is not an estate but a pretty large area that encompasses council estates to preserved housing to 'posh' and everything in between. Bothar Stiofán is just a bit up from Rahoon Cemetey, off the Rahoon Rd, the far end pops out in Knocknacarra. It's grand, but tbh there are older and nicer estates a bit before it

there's pretty much only one Rahoon estate that has a less than savoury reputation, but an awful lot of estates with great communities, well kept and close to bus(es) and shops. See for yourself OP!

I shall next week - my first visit to Galway and I am really looking forward to it! But as am moving over by myself, I wanted to get some advice first from people who know the area well ;)

Be warned about the roadworks though - set for completion in Dec (ha ha ha!). They really turn the main road into an eyesore!

• Registered Users Posts: 11 schroad

HI, Silvara!

I hope your move went well and are enjoying Galway! It is an amazing city and full of great, friendly people!

My husband just recently got accepted to Galway University, and I am currently (and frantically) looking for career opportunities in the area of the University. I work at a Marriott in New York right now and would love to stay in the hospitality industry. How did you find your job? Did they reach out to you? or did you use a recruiter agency? I would love it if you could give me any information as I am completely in the dark!

Thank you in advance!

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Gingko

schroad wrote: »
    HI, Silvara!

I hope your move went well and are enjoying Galway! It is an amazing city and full of great, friendly people!

My husband just recently got accepted to Galway University, and I am currently (and frantically) looking for career opportunities in the area of the University. I work at a Marriott in New York right now and would love to stay in the hospitality industry. How did you find your job? Did they reach out to you? or did you use a recruiter agency? I would love it if you could give me any information as I am completely in the dark!

Thank you in advance!

http://www.advertiser.ie/galway - Latest jobs for Galway. Check out the digital edition. Hospitality jobs for all the major Galway hotels are advertised here. Best of luck!

This is a great start! Thank you so much!

This is a great start! Thank you so much!

There is or was a Marriott Hotel in Galway on the Headford Road I think? Galway is full of hotels and next year tourism is set to do very well with a number of major events happening in the city including the Volvo Ocean Race finish. Tourism is up this year on the last two and it's set to grow for next couple of years.

• Advertisement

Gingko wrote: »
    There is or was a Marriott Hotel in Galway on the Headford Road I think? Galway is full of hotels and next year tourism is set to do very well with a number of major events happening in the city including the Volvo Ocean Race finish. Tourism is up this year on the last two and it's set to grow for next couple of years.

I did see at one point there was a Courtyard Marriott in Galway - I actually work at Courtyard now and that was a refreshing image to see!

It is really comforting to know that tourism is due to increase, as well. My husband was accepted to the 2 year program and he is looking to start by Fall 2012..that might be perfect timing. Thanks!

I did see at one point there was a Courtyard Marriott in Galway - I actually work at Courtyard now and that was a refreshing image to see!

It is really comforting to know that tourism is due to increase, as well. My husband was accepted to the 2 year program and he is looking to start by Fall 2012..that might be perfect timing. Thanks!

Yea don't be scared off by the recession scaremongers! Many industries continue to do very well here. Tourism picked up in a big way last Summer and I.T. is also growing again with Google, Facebook and Twitter all moving there Euro HQs to Dublin. Believe it or not but farming is going through a bit of a boom too!

Galway will always do well with tourism for many reasons. Two national parks nearby namely Connemara and The Burren, Aran Islands, Major Arts Festival, Galway Races, G.A.A., rise of Connaught rugby in European competition (play Toulouse tonight), Internationally respected theatre scene (Druid), Oyster Festival, lively social scene with music every night!

Gingko wrote: »
    Yea don't be scared off by the recession scaremongers! Many industries continue to do very well here. Tourism picked up in a big way last Summer and I.T. is also growing again with Google, Facebook and Twitter all moving there Euro HQs to Dublin. Believe it or not but farming is going through a bit of a boom too!

Galway will always do well with tourism for many reasons. Two national parks nearby namely Connemara and The Burren, Aran Islands, Major Arts Festival, Galway Races, G.A.A., rise of Connaught rugby in European competition (play Toulouse tonight), Internationally respected theatre scene (Druid), Oyster Festival, lively social scene with music every night!

Whew! this is a great relief!

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭silvara

HI, Silvara!

Thank you in advance!

Hi there,

Yes, am loving it here so far :)
    I found my job through the companies own website, so I may not be able to give much help in that department. I would suggest sending your CV off to lots of recruitment agencies straight away to see if you can line up some phone/webcam interviews before you get here (I did mine entirely by webcam) - but maybe some of the other posters will be able to give you some good suggestions who know the area more thatn I do...
    Good luck in your search!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭andy85wsm

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
Advertisement