Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PHP - where to start?

Options
  • 12-09-2011 7:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I want to learn some of the basics of php with mysql. However, I am slightly confused about the installation process.

According to w3schools I need to install php, mysql and apache. But if I am working off my home pc to learn do I not need a separate computer to act as the server?

I know there is software out there that automatically installs all 3 onto your pc and acts as a virtual server (is that right). However, I did attempt that a year or so ago and it was most confusing.

I would like to be able to teach myself some of the basics with some simple interaction with a mysql database both hand coding and using Dreamweaver.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Neodymium

If your using windows you can download xampp here

When xampp is installed you will have a folder somewhere on your computer called xampp. Inside xampp there is a folder called 'htdocs' this is where you will keep your php files.

When you want to run a file in your browser open up xampp and turn on apache and what ever else you need.

In your browser go to 'localhost/file_name.php' file_name.php is whatever your php file is called, it must be located in the htdocs folder and apache must be running in xampp.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

Neodymium wrote: »
    If your using windows you can download xampp here

When xampp is installed you will have a folder somewhere on your computer called xampp. Inside xampp there is a folder called 'htdocs' this is where you will keep your php files.

When you want to run a file in your browser open up xampp and turn on apache and what ever else you need.

In your browser go to 'localhost/file_name.php' file_name.php is whatever your php file is called, it must be located in the htdocs folder and apache must be running in xampp.

Thanks for that. I think I tried this before with a similar program but I ended up getting lost. I might try it again and see how I go.

I presume it will work in conjunction with Dreamweaver as well? I have never used dreamweaver for dynamic sites before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭Reamer Fanny

Xampp is great because you get mercury mail server included, handy if you won't to play around with sending mails locally.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Neodymium

py2006 wrote: »
    Thanks for that. I think I tried this before with a similar program but I ended up getting lost. I might try it again and see how I go.

I presume it will work in conjunction with Dreamweaver as well? I have never used dreamweaver for dynamic sites before.

I've never used dreamweaver before but it should work once you save your php file in the htdocs folder

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

From what I remember I think you can connect dreamweaver to the web server so when you preview it will go via the web server and not just open the PHP file in a browser.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

I realise I may end up confusing things but I might as well chip in. Feel free to dismiss what I write because I haven't worked with PHP directly in a few years.
    According to w3schools I need to install php, mysql and apache.
    Strictly speaking you don't need Apache, you can run PHP and MySQL on IIS which might be easier if you're used to that. Having said that, most tutorials and documentation will assume you're running Apache and some stuff, like mod_rewrite, doesn't have a direct equivalent in IIS. Basically stick to one stop shops like the aforementioned XAMP or the one I used, WAMP unless you've got a good reason to use IIS :).
    py2006 wrote:
    But if I am working off my home pc to learn do I not need a separate computer to act as the server?
    Nope, your home PC can function as both at the same time.
    py2006 wrote:
    I know there is software out there that automatically installs all 3 onto your pc and acts as a virtual server (is that right). However, I did attempt that a year or so ago and it was most confusing.
    Installing XAMP or WAMP or even all three packages manually can be quite daunting but it's a useful learning exercise. Once you get stuff working make notes so that if/when you repeat the process you will know what to do.
    If there's no specific reason for you to use Dreamweaver, I'd start out with a simple text editor otherwise you're going to be learning Dreamweaver on top of the stuff you're actually trying to learn which could complicate things.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

Thanks for that. I am already fairly offay with Dreamweaver so it shouldn't be too much of a problem.

Advertisement