Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bike HELP mountain bike

• 12-09-2011 7:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 203 ✭✭

Hey Guys,

I have a trek 6 series mountain bike,

i got a puncture today because i had crap tubes in there. i went to try and fix it and i found it had a rip in the tube so im getting a new tube soon, anyway, after i had taken the wheel of the frame and put it back on, the wheel is now rubbing against the brakes, i did put the wheel in correctly and have tried 3 times of putting it in, i followed a video on youtube showing me how to stop the rubbing but that just resulted in me loosing a bit of brake fluid. Also when i took the wheel of the wheel fell over and the plastic bolt on the end of the quick release snapped, are these easy to replace ?

please help me,

Jordan.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭Hmmzis

If the pads are rubbing against the rotor then just loosen the bolts that hold the caliper in place and adjust the caliper until there is no rubbing (don't forget to tighten the bolts afterwards :) ). It's quite a simple procedure, I have to do it every time I swap my wheels.

Another thing could be if the pads are too close together then you might need to bleed off some fluid to let the rotor through (that might have been the case in the video).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Lemag

Jordan5372 wrote: »
    i followed a video on youtube showing me how to stop the rubbing but that just resulted in me loosing a bit of brake fluid.
    You've inadvertantly loosened the bleed nipple. You'll have to bring it to your LBS to have them bleed that brake now. Solving the rotar rub problem whilst they're at it won't be much of an additional hassle/cost (if any) just make sure to ask them.

Bring it to a shop that deals with mountain bikes. The last time I had a brake bled for me the job done was pretty crap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 247 ✭✭mockerydawg

When you are taking the wheels off take a note of the tension of the quick release or bolt. If you over tighten this when putting the wheel back on then you can cause the brakes to rub the disk/rim.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 772 ✭✭✭GTDolanator

for future reference when you put the wheel back in the dropouts tighten it up then loosen off the callipers bolts,pull and hold the brake lever and re-tighten the calliper bolts thats a tried and tested way of making sure the calliper is centered,as for the fluid unless you comfortable with replacing it i would recommend you bring it to a bike shop

Advertisement