Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deposit back?

Options
  • 12-09-2011 8:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭

Hi, I'm pretty sure iv no case here but on the off chance..............

My girlfriend(at the time) and I were living abroad last year up until May, and just before we left to come home for the Summer we found a new place to live for after the Summer(from the end of Sept onwards) and paid our deposit.

We have since broken up and so won't be movin in there obviously.

The thing is, the place was being done up over the summer and so he didn't lose anythin by holding it for us. It wasn't even being advertised at the time we found it. We mentioned that we were looking for somewhere and a friend of a friend of his said he might be and that they'd ask him for us.

We gave him 2 months written notice about the change of plan.

Im not sure what the story about the lease is, I didn't sign anythin but I don't know if my ex did or not.

He says he's keeping the deposit.

Any thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Your first sentence answers your question.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

TheHopeful wrote: »
    Im not sure what the story about the lease is, I didn't sign anythin but I don't know if my ex did or not.

He says he's keeping the deposit.

Any thoughts?
    Find out what the ex has signed, and find out what the deposit was for. Was it to keep the house? If so I'd say it's lost. Was it to ensure no damage was caused? I'd wonder if the LL had any grounds for keeping the deposit if that was the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭TheHopeful

the_syco wrote: »
    Find out what the ex has signed, and find out what the deposit was for. Was it to keep the house? If so I'd say it's lost. Was it to ensure no damage was caused? I'd wonder if the LL had any grounds for keeping the deposit if that was the case.

Well the landlord is Italian and only has about 1 or 2 words of English. My Italian is brutal and herself knew a little, so communication was difficult, so what the deposit was for wasn't discussed. But I suppose it was probably for both of the reasons you mentioned above.

As I said before, the place wasn't ready for renting during the Summer, and we gave him 2 months notice. That's why I had a tiny bit of hope.

Thanks for the replies anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

i think you have a case, you have a copy of that two month written notice, because as far as i know it would only have to be a one month notice, how did he tell ye he was not handing back your money, was it in his language or yours,
    dont you know, money speak all languages,
    i would still ask the proper source, but i think you should have a case of having your money back, see what ptrb has to say

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭TheHopeful

goat2 wrote: »
    i think you have a case, you have a copy of that two month written notice, because as far as i know it would only have to be a one month notice, how did he tell ye he was not handing back your money, was it in his language or yours,
    dont you know, money speak all languages,
    i would still ask the proper source, but i think you should have a case of having your money back, see what ptrb has to say

Ya it was an email we sent him so we have proof we sent it.

We got a friend who lives over there and who speaks both languages to ring him for us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Ah. This is for a house in Italy. Hrm. I'd look into the tenants rights - on the continent, tenants usually have better rights.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

sorry about that, i thought it was for a rental here in ireland, yes you will have to look into italian law on renting and giving notices in that country.

Advertisement