Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tattoo Skool

Options
  • 12-09-2011 8:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭

This may have been covered already as I've been absent from the forum for a time but has anyone taken any notice of Art Tattoo in Temple Bar offering a course in tattoo?
    €2500, 3 weeks, Tues / Wed / Thur and you get your tattoo kit.
    Personally I'm not sure what to make of it. On one hand, it is (should be) teaching proper hygiene and technique on the other hand I can only equate it to teaching someone to shoot then sending them off to war....

Are we creating an army of super-scratchers?

All the same, I wish them well in the endeavour, hope they do it well and hope it goes well. Studios need to make a living and this is one way of branching out I guess.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

You CANNOT be taught to tattoo in 3 weeks. Anyone who is stupid enough to pay that money to do the course deserves to be ripped off.

Just read it again, being taught in 9 days. Sweet fúcking christ.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

I'll do it for half the price in a third of the time

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Diceicle

From a financial / business perspective I admire it as they're exploiting a niche in the market. As a fan of the art of tattoo I'm appalled (appalled is a bit strong or a tad dramatic but I'll stick with it for now) at the thought of a course such as this.

As I said in my OP "on the other hand I can only equate it to teaching someone to shoot then sending them off to war....

Are we creating an army of super-scratchers?"

I would like to think, despite the very short timeframe, that maybe, just maybe, a course such as this, will give the foundation to someone who is serious about a career in tattoo, because lets face it, I can be set up as a "tattoo artist" in literally a week and a couple of hundred dollars.

A person who is serious, may be able to take this course, learn the basics and then take on a full proper apprenticeship.

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Pauleeeeeeee

scumbags.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,448 ✭✭✭✭Cupcake_Crisis

Sounds like a money making racket to me, Wouldn't go near it!

• Advertisement

scumbags.
    That's a bit harsh. As long as they're teaching proper procedure it's a damn lot better than the guy who can't get an apprenticeship buying a kit online, renting some space and setting up shop. Lesser of 2 evils in some ways

Sounds like a money making racket to me, Wouldn't go near it!
    Too right it is. Every studio in the world is there to make money. Some studios I've heard of charge to show you the ropes, which is definately the better option here. But let's face it, it's a depression, not many people can spend 120 squid an hour on tattoos and studios need to innovate to survive. I won't be surprised when this type of thing is more common like the uk.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Reku

Wonder if Fás could be convinced to subsidise it... :p

If you were doing it just to be able to do your own tattoos fair enough since at least you could always do your own touch-ups too, but for €2500 you'd want to have ALOT of work you want done, and lets be honest it's going to be much more difficult to do quality work on one's own body than another's. If I went somewhere and found that this was the bulk of their training I'd make an exit sharpish.

Reku wrote: »
    If I went somewhere and found that this was the bulk of their training I'd make an exit sharpish.
    Definitely right. Not sure how you'd find out though. The thing is, there are NO BARRIERS To entry into tattooing, apart from financial ones at the moment. I'd like to think that no one would set up a studio after 3 weeks training but they can. Just spitballing here but maybe a bigger version of this is what the industry needs. A type of tattoo college where proper training and some sort of accreditation is awarded to a certain standard. I've been looking through some of the less well known studios sites and the quality of work is shocking. We also have sitautions now where you can get inked and then get your haircut without leaving the premesis. You can't tell me that's right either.

Advertisement