Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dogs jaw rattles

• 12-09-2011 9:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭

I have a terrier/lab cross and when he smells my female retrievers crotch he gets an uncontrollable jaw rattle - like in a cartoon when the character falls into icy water and their jaw rattles because its cold. Has anyone experienced this? We are going to get him fixed, will that cure it?

He is a beautiful dog but that reaction is gross! He reminds me of herbert in family guy...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Haha sounds funny when you mention Herbert the pervert.

Don't know what it could be though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

:D Your description is gas. Its perfectly normal and no neutering wont fix it. Most animals do it, it basically heightens the smell scent and the "chattering" is a way of dragging it out longer across their mouth and into the back of their throat (something along those lines anyway). My neutered male cat does it all the time if he finds a scent he likes, especially if theres been cats on the balcony marking their territory.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭engrish?

anniehoo wrote: »
    :D Your description is gas. Its perfectly normal and no neutering wont fix it. Most animals do it, it basically heightens the smell scent and the "chattering" is a way of dragging it out longer across their mouth and into the back of their throat (something along those lines anyway). My neutered male cat does it all the time if he finds a scent he likes, especially if theres been cats on the balcony marking their territory.

Thanks. We will just have to live with it! I was just settling down to sleep last night when all I could hear through the house was his rattle - I was worried that if I went downstairs I'd find them with candles lit and a Marvin Gaye cd on.

The worst part is when he smells it then comes over to you with his jaw rattling and a look on his face like he just smelt glue!

Thanks for your help!

Advertisement