Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dunnes 'Organic' still water 20L=5eur

Options
  • 12-09-2011 9:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭

Just got 20Litres of this in dunnes today,, clarespring.ie for pictures..

I know someone had a post about Tescos water but dont think it was Organic!!!

Dont really care much for the 'organic' bit anyhow but it's a pain leaving out tap water overnight to get rid of the chlorine...if you're that way inclined.:D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 250 ✭✭I_am_LOST

Didn't even know you had to do that!! I only thought people went with the bottled water if their tap water was normally a bit off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Meh.. suppose there are so many variables that maybe it doen;t make a difference.. but people do do the spring water thing and I'll give it a go for the next batch...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

Armelodie wrote: »
    !

Dont really care much for the 'organic' bit anyhow but it's a pain leaving out tap water overnight to get rid of the chlorine...if you're that way inclined.:D

Just be aware they can have much higher concentration of bicarbonate that your tap water

oblivious wrote: »
    Just be aware they can have much higher concentration of bicarbonate that your tap water

Ok i;ll check that out, any idea whats the limit/range for acceptable levels?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I thought this was going to be about cheap 20L containers!

I would sooner get a cheap water filter than use bottled.

• Advertisement

rubadub wrote: »
    I thought this was going to be about cheap 20L containers!

I would sooner get a cheap water filter than use bottled.

Never thought of getting a water filter, any recommendations for a good one?

Why the reticence to use bottled water anyway?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

bottled water can leach some chemicals form the plastic I think?

Ya that's this whole phthalates thing with plastics.
    The research is still at the same level as harmful mobile phone radiation studies and coffee good or bad for you debate so the Jury's out. Generally I think the issue is more of a concern if you re-use the same bottle over and over as plastic degrades over time.

Ok i;ll check that out, any idea whats the limit/range for acceptable levels?

They can be as high as 350ppm, Dublin tap water depending from source can get to 90-175 ppm approximately .

High levels will effect the pH of the mash also it will dull hop flavor aroma if its in excessive amounts. Furthermore bottle water tend to have a higher bio-load (bacteria etc) than your tap water

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shiny

I always buy bottled water but I am considering trying tap water for my first extract brew and strongly considering this activity.

My assumption is that adding a tablet and leaving overnight would be the ultimate combo for having decent brewing water from the tap?

This would save me €5(Kit)-€7(extract) per brew if it works.

• Advertisement

Shiny wrote: »

My assumption is that adding a tablet and leaving overnight would be the ultimate combo for having decent brewing water from the tap?

Just leave the lid off and the chlorine will off gas anyway over night. In the 7 + years of brewing i have never had a problem with chlorine in tap water

Shiny wrote: »
    I always buy bottled water but I am considering trying tap water for my first extract brew and strongly considering this activity.

American public water supply is riddled With chlorine also there are area in the US it occurs natural in high concentration

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shiny

oblivious wrote: »
    Just leave the lid off and the chlorine will off gas anyway over night. In the 7 + years of brewing i have never had a problem with chlorine in tap water

I might give that a try so as the water doesn't taste too bad overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Why the reticence to use bottled water anyway?
    The plastic would be a factor as mentioned, but really the price and hassle would put me off, and I just don't see the benefit (unless your tap water was really bad). I have done blind tastes tests a few times in work and preferred filtered stuff. The bottled stuff could be sitting around on shelves for ages in the sun.

My water is fine so I don't bother filtering, I just leave overnight. The time to watch for chlorine is in the summer during a drought. They have to add more chlorine than usual since the reservoirs are at low levels so the contaminants landing per square metre are higher per litre of water, and the hot weather means more bacteria growth, so they can load up on chlorine. Or possibly if there was a water pipe breakage, we had it in work a few times and the water was stinking of chlorine, we had dirty water too.

5L bottles can make good demijohns though! but I am not sure if it leaches out plastic, you can get 5L PET demijohns so I doubt its going to harm you any more than the alcohol!

Advertisement