Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

thoughts on primary fermenter tap

Options
  • 12-09-2011 9:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭

noobie help required...

I have an auto syphon but its a pain to hold in place while the transfer takes place from primary to bottling bucket. Its also a nuisance to sanitise. Is there a clip or something that would fit it to hold it in place?

Instead of using the auto syphon I was thinking of fitting a tap onto my primary fermenter bucket to ease the transfer to the bottling bucket but was wondering if this a bad idea cause of risk of threads harbouring nasties in difficult to sterilise areas.? Any thoughts? The tap on the bottling bucket has a little red yoke that can be reorientated at different angles to take the beer say from above the tap as opposed to below it. This might reduce sludge transfer.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

bibibobo wrote: »
    its a pain to hold in place
    Eh? Just plonk it in the bucket. It doesn't need to be vertical.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭bibibobo

BeerNut wrote: »
    Eh? Just plonk it in the bucket. It doesn't need to be vertical.

What about sucking up the crud? The filter yoke does not look that effective.

What about sucking up the crud? The filter yoke does not look that effective.
    It's effective enough. Beside, as long as there's live yeast in there you're going to get more "crud" forming in whatever vessel you're transferring to.

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Cork Boy

Actually... I've been meaning to ask...

I've seen loads of youtube videos where people stick a bottling wand into the fermenter tap and away they go! I tried this and there is no seal what so ever... is there an attachement i'm missing?

OP, where did you get your tap? Mine is one of these: http://www.thehomebrewcompany.ie/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2_31&products_id=90

Can anyone recommend me a tap or attachment that will fit a bottling wand? The above won't seal with the bottling wand or siphon tubing either.

Thanks in advance.

Cork Boy wrote: »
    I've seen loads of youtube videos where people stick a bottling wand into the fermenter tap and away they go! I tried this and there is no seal what so ever... is there an attachement i'm missing?
    They're probably using a Little Bottler which is a tap with the wand fitted. I use the detached wand from one on its own with an auto-siphon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Cork Boy

Legend

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Is there a clip or something that would fit it to hold it in place?
    Not sure if this works with the autosyphon
    http://www.homebrewwest.ie/red-clip-for-syphon-tube-for-rigid-tube-289-p.asp

If you do use a tap you can place something under your barrel while it is settling, something to tilt it so the tap is up in the air, this lets the yeast settle more in the other side of the container.

Advertisement