Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

first brew - super results

Options
  • 12-09-2011 9:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭

I can't believe how well my first brew turned out. Its a coopers wheat beer with liquid malt extract and safbrew WB06 yeast. It tasted awful for a week but now after over two weeks in the bottles it is much nicer. Taste is similar to an Erdinger. Is it normal for a wheat beer to improve with age? I had heard they are supposed to be drunk when young.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,880 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

"Young" means within three or four months. Beer won't be properly carbonated after one week. Give them two weeks minimum and I find mine are best after three.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭bibibobo

Guy in the shop said about 3 weeks from fermenting to drinking! It seemed a bit quick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

I made the coopers ale. Had an awful vinegary tang for the first while, but it's almost a month in the bottle and tastes a lot better.

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭fobster

Good to hear! I got mine in the fermenter now since the 7th. Reckon I'm going to bottle it next Wednesday so a full two weeks in the fermenter. I was originally going to go by the "drink it young" mantra as well.

Did you use carbonation drops to prime it? Did you go with 1 drop per 500ml? I have a few 355ml bottles that I'm debating whether to use but also have plenty of 500ml ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 qazxsw1

"Drinking young" comments reminds me that about now is the stime to start brewing the Christmas stockpile..., allowing for decent aging period

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭scrapsmac

bibibobo wrote: »
    I can't believe how well my first brew turned out. Its a coopers wheat beer with liquid malt extract and safbrew WB06 yeast. It tasted awful for a week but now after over two weeks in the bottles it is much nicer. Taste is similar to an Erdinger. Is it normal for a wheat beer to improve with age? I had heard they are supposed to be drunk when young.

bibibobo, what quantity of malt extract did you use? Did you use any brewing sugar?

Is this the Coopers Wheat Kit you used? http://www.thehomebrewcompany.ie/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_12&products_id=15

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭bibibobo

scrapsmac wrote: »
    bibibobo wrote: »

bibibobo, what quantity of malt extract did you use? Did you use any brewing sugar?

Is this the Coopers Wheat Kit you used? http://www.thehomebrewcompany.ie/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_12&products_id=15
    Yes that's the kit I used plus a tin of coopers liquid malt extract.
    http://www.thehomebrewcompany.ie/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=3_38&products_id=817

Advertisement