Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is the difference between a lawyer and a solicitor?

Options
  • 12-09-2011 9:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭

I ask this because I'm writing a book and its something I kinda need to know. I am not trying some blatant publicity - I just want to know the difference. I'm trying to find out the following:

Years of training/college/degrees?

General responsibilities/ everyday tasks?

A typical working day?

Appearences in court?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23 No.2

In Ireland, 'lawyer' is generally used as a catch-all term which encompasses all professionally qualified lawyers, i.e. solicitors, barristers, and notaries public. Solicitors are the most numerous.

Internationally, it depends on the jurisdiction (e.g. in the US it's generally synonymous with 'attorney'), but generally refers to any legal practitioner.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot

So what does a solicitor do exactly?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭blueythebear

I ask this because I'm writing a book and its something I kinda need to know. I am not trying some blatant publicity - I just want to know the difference. I'm trying to find out the following:

Years of training/college/degrees?

General responsibilities/ everyday tasks?

A typical working day?

Appearences in court?

Thanks in advance!

Lawyer is a General term for a person who practises law. It's really an American term.

In Ireland there are essentially two types of practitioners of law, solicitors and barristers. In the USA, there is no barrister or solicitor, they're all lawyers.

The differences between solicitors and barristers in Ireland...They're very different jobs but a very general view is this:

Barristers present legal cases in Court before Judges and Juries as well as give their opinions on questions of law. Barristers in Ireland can only act when a solicitor briefs them on a case.

Solicitor will deal with the client and prepare the case for the barrister to present. It should be noted that SOlicitors can also present cases in court to judges and juries too. Some do but many don't.

Your questions are very broad. If you're serious about writing this book, it wouldn't be a bad idea to try and talk to a solicitor or barrister directly with your questions.

I ask this because I'm writing a book and its something I kinda need to know.

I don't mean to come across as being snide (Wolfe Tone would just go through me!) but you really need to go and do this research yourself. If it's for your book it will definitely be worth the effort in the end as you'll have a far better understanding of the profession that way.

Try the Law Society and Bar Council websites for a good starting point.

Best of luck.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Type solicitor and barrister into wikipedia. Problem solved.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

Well apparently they are very useful in scientific experiments because there are somethings even a rat wouldn't do. Lols.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭blueythebear

Finnbar01 wrote: »
    Well apparently they are very useful in scientific experiments because there are somethings even a rat wouldn't do. Lols.

???

I think people would be more confused by that than insulted...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

???

I think people would be more confused by that than insulted...

I wasn't intending to insult anyone. Maybe i should have used the word 'behavioural' instead.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭Milk & Honey

Finnbar01 wrote: »

That is just one of the reasons they are useful.

1. the laboratory attendants don't become attached to them.
    2. the animal rights lobby does not get excited about them.
    3. there are plenty of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭swordofislam

Type solicitor and barrister into wikipedia. Problem solved.
    The article on solicitors on Wikipedia would be no help whatever to the layman.
    Mostly a solicitor deals with law that isn't the subject of a dispute.
    This could include transfers of property, wills, drafting of contracts, advice on purchasing businesses, setting up companies and ensuring that they are legal compliant, insolvency proceedings and the establishment of investment funds.

So a very wide range from the only lawyer in a small town making a nice living doing wills for farmers to the million a year mutual funds lawyer.

Small 'criminal' cases are also dealt with by solicitors; fights, cases where someone forgot to pay a fine, some driving cases etc. (though a Barrister can be used as well).

Solicitors can also advise on disputes and do alot of the work preparatory to going to court even if the case is of massive importance and value. However important civil cases always use at least 1 Barrister who is a lawyer whose work is based around the courts.

I am not sure if the location 'Belgium' is a joke but if not a Solicitor is like a Notaire (and most solicitors do the work of a Notaire) but they can do some other things too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot

Thanks guys, all help appreciated, will check those websites, cheers!

Advertisement