Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chemical anchor, what size holes to drill?

• 12-09-2011 10:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭

Dear all,

When using chemical anchor to fix bolts into concrete / wall. Should I uise an oversize bit? i.e. If I'm fixing 16mm threaded bar, do I use a 16mm drill bit or a bigger bit to allow room for more anchor around the bolt?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭dnme

OK, gonna have a go at answering my own question here. Just found a Hilti pdf that recommends 18mm hole for M16 bar. So I guess oversize by two mm.

http://hiltivietnam.com/index.php?dispatch=attachments.getfile&attachment_id=8

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 153 ✭✭babsybaby01

Yeah your right...You go 2mm bigger with the hole than the size of the bar...Make sure you blow all the dust out of the holes the chemical can re-act to too much dust in the hole...Then 3 quarter fill the hole with chemical...Before squeezing the chemical into the hole let the first inch or so pour onto the ground so that the chemical and the re-actor mix properly...Once the chemical is in the hole and you have your threaded bar pushed in make sure there is no chemical on the end where you put on the nut..Once the chemical goes off it will be hard to get a nut on
    Tzje best thing to do is put a nut onto the end your not pushing intomthe hole to protect the first 5/6 threads;)

Advertisement