Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

In line extractor fan

Options
  • 12-09-2011 10:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭

I'm planning to install an in line extractor fan in the bathroom like this

Ideally I'd like to connect it to it's own switch rather than the light switch, as the light doesn't always need to be turned on. I'd also prefer not to connect it to the electric shower pull cord switch as sometimes it's not always steam that needs to be extracted :D

Could I use a junction box in the attic to tap off one of the light switch cables for power for the extractor? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭freddyuk

Why not just wire into the light switch? What are you saving by not doing this? These fans are silent and if it is daylight and you need to expel a "smell" then just flick the switch when you leave and the timer will take care of it. Much cheaper than a new switch etc. Also how will people know the difference between the switches ? They will end up switching the fan on anyway looking for the light or vice versa!!

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭indie armada

if you were to put a standard fan on its own switch then at the very least use a double pole switch, if you were to use a double pole switch get one with a neon to identify it as the fan switch and to indicate when its on.
    im not sure if you need an inline fan on its own rcbo as its not technically in the bathroom, so taking the feed from the lighting circut might be acceptable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭kkelly77

Thanks for the advice lads.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

if you were to put a standard fan on its own switch then at the very least use a double pole switch, if you were to use a double pole switch get one with a neon to identify it as the fan switch and to indicate when its on.
    im not sure if you need an inline fan on its own rcbo as its not technically in the bathroom, so taking the feed from the lighting circut might be acceptable.

Exactly how my house was done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭kkelly77

Picked up an Xpelair kit in Heat Merchants today (€40). Decided to go with the junction box and bathroom light switch setup. I'll need to hire a ladder to fix the external vent grill into position though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

i would have a means of switching off fan - outside bathroom
    (if fan comes on with light)

-as well as local isolation in attic

Advertisement