Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fish and Chips in Howth

Options
  • 12-09-2011 10:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭

Where is the best place to get the freshest fish and chips in Howth?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

vicwatson wrote: »
    Where is the best place to get the freshest fish and chips in Howth?

Cheers

Probably beshoffs. One of the first places you come to on the right hand side. Usually a queue but never takes long

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Thanks Davy, should have said, I'm looking for a take away, is this a restaurant or a takeaway? cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Ye its just a take away

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Popsy

Cafe Caira down near the long pier do great fish & chips. I love getting my fresh cod and a cuppa and sitting on the pier watching the world go by.

They also have a cafe so you can sit down and enjoy too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭nicol

Davy wrote: »
    Probably beshoffs. One of the first places you come to on the right hand side. Usually a queue but never takes long

+1 on Beshoffs, their fish and chips covered in buckets of salt and vinegar, even sounds appealing to me at 9:30 in the morning!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,117 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Popsy wrote: »
    Cafe Caira down near the long pier do great fish & chips. I love getting my fresh cod and a cuppa and sitting on the pier watching the world go by.

They also have a cafe so you can sit down and enjoy too :)

Prefer this one to Beshoffs to be honest.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

Dovies wrote: »

Yep , Beshoff's has gone downhill over the last few years .

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭The Master.

sharkman wrote: »
    Dovies wrote: »

Yep , Beshoff's has gone downhill over the last few years .
    Scabbiest bit of fish and chips ive ever seen. The portions are so small i wondered if it was a kids portion.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Is Cafe Caira's fish that pre bought in frozen stuff ?

I'm looking for a fresh one and one ! Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Pretty sure Beshoff's use the frozen stuff. Not sure about Café Ciara. I can ask the owner tonight or you can PM him [ Blade ] yourself.

Some of the pubs also do 'fresh' fish and chips [Waterside, Krugers, Abbey Tavern?].

These days Howth fishery isn't very busy, so often the fish like Cod is brought in from elsewhere and so not quite that fresh. Most of it gets frozen for a few days while at sea anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 446 ✭✭Lillylilly

vicwatson wrote: »
    Is Cafe Caira's fish that pre bought in frozen stuff ?

I'm looking for a fresh one and one ! Thanks

Caffe Caira do up the fresh and smoked cod in house. Yummy yummy yummy!
    I worked there for years :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

They do process their fish in-house. However the fish doesn't come straight off the pier. Almost all fish landed is auctioned on the pier, sent to town and then sold there and brought back to Howth a day or two later.

Nevertheless, it's the freshest you'll get, bar catching the stuff yourself.

Advertisement