Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Student card stolen

Options
  • 12-09-2011 10:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 23

I just graduated last week but my Student card got stolen ages ago which is really annoying because UCD one's have no expiry date. Is there anyway to get a replacement student card even though I've graduated? I miss sweet discounts.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

You could get an alumni card but not a student card as you are no longer a student.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 karpo

Would an alumni card have the same benefits as a student card? As in getting discounts in places that offer student discounts?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

karpo wrote: »
    Would an alumni card have the same benefits as a student card? As in getting discounts in places that offer student discounts?

No because you are not a student.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭dublin daz

Technically you're entitled to a replacement till 30th September.

That's when your current one expires.

You're entitled to library access etc, so they should replace it, for €30.

I believe its a uCard now. You might even get one free, as their rolling this new card out.

Thanks a million. I'll give it a try anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭jimi_t2

If you go to your local garda station and get a slip declaring it stolen and bring it to Tierney the student card is free

dublin daz wrote: »
    Technically you're entitled to a replacement till 30th September.

That's when your current one expires.

You're entitled to library access etc, so they should replace it, for €30.

I believe its a uCard now. You might even get one free, as their rolling this new card out.

They won't bother giving one to somebody who has graduated.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭dublin daz

They won't bother giving one to somebody who has graduated.

Well seeing as the fees run to 30/09 they will have to make some provision to allow access to university facilities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭GoldenTickets

Well seeing as the fees run to 30/09 they will have to make some provision to allow access to university facilities.

For the sake of two weeks they're not going to facilitate someone who has no need for a student card other than to avail of discounts to which they are not entitled.

OP, stop being so scabby, you're not a student anymore so your days of sponging are over, accept it.

No they won't. If such a student ever needed access to the library, they'd just be given a day pass. Otherwise, they have no need for one and with first years being the priority for student cards, I would be amazed if they gave one to somebody who was just trying to scam the system.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 202 ✭✭Go-Go-Gadget

No they won't. If such a student ever needed access to the library, they'd just be given a day pass. Otherwise, they have no need for one and with first years being the priority for student cards, I would be amazed if they gave one to somebody who was just trying to scam the system.

They try to limit day passes to one per person per semester. They are obliged to give you a new one before the 30th. Go for it.

They try to limit day passes to one per person per semester. They are obliged to give you a new one before the 30th. Go for it.

They have further passes than the day pass. Anyway, there would be extremely limited reasons why a very recent graduate would need urgent access to the library. I was just using it as an example of what they would do instead given it would be a waste of time and money to print a student card for a non-student.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Have people managed to get discounts using the current student card? I know a lot of shops, etc probably don't care, but there's nothing on it to indicate that you are currently a student.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

I usually argue with how long ago the issue date was when people complain. A lot of places have stopped being concerned about expiry dates when UCD stopped having them, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

I've never had a problem with it, but then again I haven't used it all that often. When I have used it I find that most places don't even look at the card very closely.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

As far as I know, the student cards for those who graduated don't get you into the library anymore, even though the student/recent graduate can have books out until 30 Sept! I really doubt that the student desk will issue a new card to a graduate.

For the sake of two weeks they're not going to facilitate someone who has no need for a student card other than to avail of discounts to which they are not entitled.

OP, stop being so scabby, you're not a student anymore so your days of sponging are over, accept it.

Well not really, I'm doing a masters next year. Also, I am entitled until the 30th of September.

I tried this anyway and they agreed that I was entitled to a replacement card. However they realized I was deleted from their system and so couldn't psychically print me out a replacement. They said If I came in before the new term started I would have been able to get one.

• Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭OneOfThem Stumbled

convert wrote: »
    As far as I know, the student cards for those who graduated don't get you into the library anymore, even though the student/recent graduate can have books out until 30 Sept! I really doubt that the student desk will issue a new card to a graduate.

Student cards for all students should work until c. 30th September afaik, regardless of whether they have graduated, or not paid fees, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭GoldenTickets

karpo wrote: »
    Well not really, I'm doing a masters next year. Also, I am entitled until the 30th of September.

So from the end of September this year until the beginning of September next year you will not be entitled to any discounts offered to those with student cards. You won't be a student this academic year so you shouldn't get any student discounts, that's pretty straightforward.
    I tried this anyway and they agreed that I was entitled to a replacement card. However they realized I was deleted from their system and so couldn't psychically print me out a replacement. They said If I came in before the new term started I would have been able to get one.
    Sounds like you got fobbed off nicely, and rightly so. If you really believed you were entitled to a student card for the year, that was the time to insist on it. It doesn't sound like you put up much of a fight.

Student cards for all students should work until c. 30th September afaik, regardless of whether they have graduated, or not paid fees, etc.

As I said earlier, if for whatever reason there was a genuine reason that the student needed to access something before the 30th of September, they would be allowed. However printing a new card would be pointless. He will come up on the system as graduated and everybody else will have been rolled on to the next academic year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

I tried to get into the library the other day, but it says my card has expired. Then, went onto the library website and when I logged in it says my reader's ticket has expired, so that I now can't use the library, even though I have books out until 30 Sept!

Advertisement