Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hunting rifle for beginner

Options
  • 12-09-2011 10:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 43

Hi Folks, I want to start hunting rabbits but like everyone else i'm short of money! I'm told I need a .22 rifle with a scope and surpressor and I'll also need a gunsafe. I could maybe go to 500. is it possible to get all this stuff for this amount and if so where? I would appreciate any info !

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭tomcat220t

tadhg11 wrote: »
    Hi Folks, I want to start hunting rabbits but like everyone else i'm short of money! I'm told I need a .22 rifle with a scope and surpressor and I'll also need a gunsafe. I could maybe go to 500. is it possible to get all this stuff for this amount and if so where? I would appreciate any info !
    A good second hand cz .22lr and scope should be in your budget .Best you will buy for that money,imo;)

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭The Big Fella

Ive seen a nice .22lr cz 452 with scope for sale for €300, Gun safe will cost you €100 and licence for 3 years €80 and youl have €20 left over for ammo. You might have to do a firearm safety coarse which cost me €30.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 tadhg11

would you know of any good gunshops around the midlands

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭The Big Fella

would you know of any good gunshops around the midlands

David mulival in ballymahon co longford has a good selection of .22lr and hes a nice man to deal with. Lakeland in mullingar are good but they can be expensive.

Thanks alot for the help big fella,when I get the rifle i'll be looking for alot more help!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭deerhunter1

Thanks alot for the help big fella,when I get the rifle i'll be looking for alot more help!!!

Well you have come to the right place good luck and welcome:)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,528 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Jim Griffin in Rahan, Tullamore.
    Jim McBride - Athlone.

Where abouts are you? County will do. You will get a better idea of your nearest gun shop.

.22lr in Offaly
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

i live in laois, also could you tell me where i could do a firearms safty course nearby

The MNSCI in Tullamore hold one once a month, most clubs run them, as does the NARGC so check their website.

If you are near Abbeyleix and looking for one closer to home go to Abbeyleix Garda Station and speak to the FO there. He is has alot of info on NARGC and other safety courses run in Laois.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Thanks again for the help lads

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭Hibrion

A CZ is definitely the way to go. Try and get the best quality scope that you can to go on top as it's a very important part of the package.

A parker hale mod would be a good addition if you are using subsonic ammo. But if it puts you over budget you can do without it.
    When you're applying for your license, tick the box for (cringe) silencer. This way, if you are granted permission, you can add one later when the funds allow.

If you buy second hand you won't loose much when it comes to trading up.

Happy hunting

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭pugw

Second hand is the way to go! i wouldnt be too worried about the scope if its going on a .22 as you wont be firing a whole lot past 100 yards, a hawke 3-9X40 with a mildot reticule would be good enough! http://www.hawkeoptics.com/rifle-scopes.html I know funds are tight but you may want to have a think about going to a .17hmr as its bullet flight is a lot flatter and it will let you take longer shots, would also give you the option to shoot the odd fox out to 150 yards!the difference would be 16euro for a box of hmr bullets as opposed to €7-10 for 50 .22lr bullets! youd pick up a second hand 17 hmr for a bit over your budget!
    ATB pugw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

pugw wrote: »
    Second hand is the way to go! i wouldnt be too worried about the scope if its going on a .22 as you wont be firing a whole lot past 100 yards, a hawke 3-9X40 with a mildot reticule would be good enough! http://www.hawkeoptics.com/rifle-scopes.html I know funds are tight but you may want to have a think about going to a .17hmr as its bullet flight is a lot flatter and it will let you take longer shots, would also give you the option to shoot the odd fox out to 150 yards!the difference would be 16euro for a box of hmr bullets as opposed to €7-10 for 50 .22lr bullets! youd pick up a second hand 17 hmr for a bit over your budget!
    ATB pugw
    myself and spunk both sold our hmr's recently for less than his budget, mine had scope, sling and bipod included.. Shop around lad you can get alot for €500 these days!

New advert for CZ452 and alot of gear for within your budget. Might be worth a look.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056388025

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

myself and spunk both sold our hmr's recently for less than his budget, mine had scope, sling and bipod included.. Shop around lad you can get alot for €500 these days!

i just happened to pick up a marlin 917vs with scope and a pump action for 600 ;)

Thought you bought them both alrite, fair play lad hope the licences dont take too long! Just goes to show there are great deals to be had

tis meeting with the local FO is the problem with been in college. i called down last week when he was meant to be there and no sign. went into the shop across the road fromt he station and asked when are the 2 lads ever in the station and she laughed at me and said good luck with that. hoping to source his own phone number before the weekend. but im told i should get it soon enough. not getting my hopes up yet. 3/gun safe arrived monday from sportsden with next day free delivery for €150.

Contact the main station in the area and ask who will be looking after it there and they will be able to tell you what they normally do. The guy who took mine had the same problem and he rang the main station and they got it sorted for him so its being processed now

ah i had Dungarvan down as my station but the RFD beside me told me to go to the station in the village next to us to get it sorted faster. could be sitting in the other station for weeks.

Advertisement