Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hide website from search engines?

• 12-09-2011 10:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭

I have a website that I want to put up but it is not ready for the general public yet so I dont want it showing up in search engines. Is there a way of accomplishing this?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

Off hand I can think of three methods.

1) place the site in a ridiculously complicated file path - yoursite.com/thisisthesillynameofmyfolder/

2) Change your robots.txt file

3) Host it locally by using wamp, xampp or whatever suits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Robots.txt if not hosting is on a local server.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Blast you Fanny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

thumbsupobama.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Pixelcraft

From google:

To prevent all robots from indexing a page on your site, place the following meta tag into the <head> section of your page:

<meta name="robots" content="noindex">
    To allow other robots to index the page on your site, preventing only Google's robots from indexing the page:

<meta name="googlebot" content="noindex">

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

+1 for robots.txt; quick & simple.

Adding to your <head> is a good solution too, but I personally don't like putting in markup or code that's test-environment only, just in case you forget to take it out before going live (hey, we've all done it) :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Out of interest - is it just a matter of adding your site back into Google through the webmaster tools once you want it indexed again? i.e. it's not going to harm future SEO stuff?
    dlofnep wrote: »
    Blast you Fanny.

snigger

• Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Cathaoirleach

For sites I'm developing but don't want to be live, I usually restrict by password or IP using .htaccess
    http://home.golden.net/htaccess.html

Or I just include this at the header of each page and put in my IP (and the client's if needed)

[PHP]$userIP = getenv('REMOTE_ADDR');
    if ($userIP != '192.168.1.1') {
    die("access denied");
    }[/PHP]

That way you don't get any bots indexing your unfinished site!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

If it's WordPress, you can install a Maintenance Mode plugin that allows logged in users view the site but noone else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,456 ✭✭✭jmcc

For sites I'm developing but don't want to be live, I usually restrict by password or IP using .htaccess
    http://home.golden.net/htaccess.html

Or I just include this at the header of each page and put in my IP (and the client's if needed)

[PHP]$userIP = getenv('REMOTE_ADDR');
    if ($userIP != '192.168.1.1') {
    die("access denied");
    }[/PHP]

That way you don't get any bots indexing your unfinished site!
    You might find it hard to get into a search engine index if you just serve that as content. It should get flagged by the SE's quality control as a dead/denied website and dropped from the crawl. Getting back into the SE's index might take a few months or a few hours depending on the SE but it is a risky thing to do.

The simplest way is just work on the site on your own PC and only put it on the web when you are ready for it to be spidered/crawled.

Regards...jmcc

• Advertisement
Advertisement