Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless setup

Options
  • 12-09-2011 11:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I just had a new TP-Link WR1043ND router installed at home. The UPC modem is connected to WAN port and one of the LAN port is connected to a switch that wired the rest of the house. I have the DHCP and WLAN (N mode Channel 6) enabled with SSID say WiFiNo1. Say the IP of this router is 192.168.1.1

Now, the old router Linksys WRT54GP2 is connected to the TP-Link router through a LAN port. Nothing is connected to WAN port. The DHCP is disabled and WLAN (B/G mode channel 4) is on with SSID say WiFiNo2. The static IP is 192.168.1.2.

With the WiFi, all N compatible device are connected to the TP-Link router and B/G device to the Linksys router.

My question is this setup ok or more can be done to simplify it? Will bridging or WDS setup has more advantage than this?

I tried setting up the SSID of both to be same, hoping that devices and PCs will connect to the best router, however it seemed that they only connect in G mode.

Otherwise I might just leave as it is.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Cheers,
    M

Advertisement