Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ash - Free All Angels Tour

Options
  • 12-09-2011 11:44pm
    Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Ash are back to play The Academy with their ‘Free All Angels’ tour on Tuesday October 18th. Ash have announced they will play a very special show at The Academy, wherethey will be joined by Charlotte Hatherley. Tickets priced €20 including booking fee, will go on sale at 9am this Friday.

The band will celebrate their career to date, with the release of a special CD/DVD ‘ The Best of Ash’, which encompasses highlights from their two #1 albums, eighteen Top 40 hits and a previously unseen tour documentary ‘Teenage Wildlife’ which depicts the band’s rise to fame. Ash have been behind such defining songs as the Ivor Novello winning single ‘Shining Light’, ‘Goldfinger’ and the enduring popular ‘Burn Baby Burn’. The ‘Free All Angels’ tour will mark the release of the album and importantly welcome back Charlotte for a limited number of appearances with the band.

Ash first formed in Downpatrick, Co. Down by Tim Wheeler (vocalist/guitar), Mask Hamilton (bass) and Rick McMurray (drums) in 1992, with the ambition to follow in the footsteps of their heroes Nirvana,Mudhoney and The Pixies. Ash recorded their debut studio album entitled ‘1977’, with Oasis producer Owen Morris in 1996. They were later joined by Charlotte Hatherley (guitar), and went on to record a further three successful studio albums, which all were hugely popular and spawned a number of hits.

The Academy show promises to be a very brilliant night for all, especially as Charlotte will be performing on the night with the band. Tickets priced €20 including booking fee are on sale from Friday, at all Ticketmaster outlets and online at Ticketmaster.ie. This is an over 18’s show - ID required.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,384 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Delighted this has been announced.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Dermo

The Whelan's gig was fantastic, this one with Rick back and Charlotte should be amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

Dermo wrote: »
    The Whelan's gig was fantastic, this one with Rick back and Charlotte should be amazing.

I didn't know they were playing last June, feck.

I caught them in London when I was stuck there because of the Icelandic ash cloud and they were *amazing*. Definitely going to this, could tickets go quick or could you leave it a few days, do ye think?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 andyrew5000

Got my tickets today from the Ash website presale. Have loved them for years, but have never seen them, will be great to see them as a four piece, and playing my favourite album of theirs too.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Ive seen them 3 times and they were great , They are an underated band these days imo. Hopefully might pick up a ticket closer to the date

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 178 ✭✭DirtyLeeds

DEADLY!

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Fudge74

Got my tickets............. whoop whoop!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭NIBBS

Ticket sorted, missed out on the Whelans gig so happy with this :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Great news

Say them once in Castlegar, Galway ten years ago

Actually Muse was the backup and look what they went on to become

Can't wait for this

Anybody hear who the support act is for tonight? Am assuming Ash won't be on stage til around nine???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭The Scientician

I'd LOVE to go to this but don't think I'll have time. Are there tickets still available just in case?

I'd LOVE to go to this but don't think I'll have time. Are there tickets still available just in case?

They were still advertising tickets yesterday. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭chopser

Yeah tickets are still available from their website.

Is there any support band?
    It says doors 7.30pm, but what time do ye reckon Support/ Ash they will start playing at?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭The Scientician

Tieranniesaur are support. They're an ace live band!

Oh might try and catch a bit of them so. According to the Academy website -

IMPORTANT INFORMATION
    Show Times

Doors - 7pm
    First Act - 8pm
    Main Act - 9pm.
    *Please note these are approximate times and are not guaranteed.
    The majority of our shows are at these times, but not all of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭chopser

Tieranniesaur are support. They're an ace live band!

Thats great. Been hearing lots of good things about them.

Any good spots to have a beer before the Academy?

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭bohsfan

Twisted Pepper just down the street is an alright place. Either that or stray across the river to The Stags Head or The Foggy Dew

What a great gig!!! Thoroughly enjoyed it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭bohsfan

Yeah, an excellent crowd alright. I am continually surprised at the crowd Ash are able to pull into these gigs even with minimal promotion.

Playing FAA in its entirety was always a risk, as it starts at a hundred miles an hour before waning a bit in the middle. But it was great to hear some of those tracks again.

And getting the air guitar world champion guy up for 'Lose Control' was hilarious!

As ever from Ash- a tour de force in how to play live.

• Advertisement

really enjoyed them last night, thought they were excellent,

agreed bohsfan, started like a freight train and then stalled a little in FAA when the pace had to be dropped, but like you said great to hear some of those tracks live......

would love to hit Belfast on Nov3rd for 1977 in full, but it's a Thursday and a mental week up there with the MTV Awards and loads of gigs on......pity, hope they do 1977 again.....
    it is amazing how they get crowds pretty much word of mouth, because they don't do lots of advertising.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭EyesClosed

Brilliant gig last night, Ash seemed to be loving playing all the old tracks, seems like they had a mad nostalgia buzz going, which really made for a great atmosphere, loved the show. Highlights where kungfu and of course girl from mars :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭Hyperbullet

What a great gig, thoroughly enjoyed it. Would gladly go again tonight if they were playing.

Here are some clips I took last night :-

Sometimes :-

Orpheous :-

a shortish clip of Loose Control :-

and an even shorter clip of Submission :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,384 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Knew I should have gone. Pacific Pallisades is a favourite song.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Raging that I wont be around for the Belfast Gig, would love to hear all of 1977!! But anyways, Epic gig lastnight, its only when you hear FAA from start to finish like that you realize how strong an album it is! Some of yas said it stalled abit, I totally disagree ha, I love Someday, and Sometimes, and it was brilliant to hear them live! Great buzz of nostalgia and this gig was all about the old stuff, so I'll forgive them for not playing Arcadia ha!

Great gig!

Thought the sound could have been better but then I do have an ear infection so that's probably what it was!

Highlight for me undoubtedly was 'Warmer than Fire', was shocked they played it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

Was dithering about going to see them and in the end didn't buy a ticket and didn't go. Sounds like a good concert.

DirtyLeeds wrote: »
    Great gig!

Thought the sound could have been better but then I do have an ear infection so that's probably what it was!

Highlight for me undoubtedly was 'Warmer than Fire', was shocked they played it!

It was a bit all over the place all night Leeds, don't know what was going on.....certainly after the 2nd song they seemed to turn up all instruments way too loud and it was a bit grating, band were excellent though so I just ignored it......thought it might just have been the speakers we were standing beside (left corner of the stage)

• Advertisement

NIBBS wrote: »
    It was a bit all over the place all night Leeds, don't know what was going on.....certainly after the 2nd song they seemed to turn up all instruments way too loud and it was a bit grating, band were excellent though so I just ignored it......thought it might just have been the speakers we were standing beside (left corner of the stage)

That's where I was stood too. Definitely a bit iffy alright!

Advertisement