Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New entrant to dairying scheme

• 12-09-2011 11:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Just wondering does anyone else know of cases where dairy farmers sons have qualified for this scheme when their fathers herd are way over quota, know of a case myself where a lad in waterford got the quota, while at the same time his father is milking 200 odd cows with only 100,000 gallons of quota, nice way to off-set this years superlevy for them, considering this scheme was ment for new entrants with it being stated in the rules that such applicants as dairy farmers sons wouldnt be considered, this scheme just another its all who you know.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭leg wax

jay gttdi wrote: »
    Just wondering does anyone else know of cases where dairy farmers sons have qualified for this scheme when their fathers herd are way over quota, know of a case myself where a lad in waterford got the quota, while at the same time his father is milking 200 odd cows with only 100,000 gallons of quota, nice way to off-set this years superlevy for them, considering this scheme was ment for new entrants with it being stated in the rules that such applicants as dairy farmers sons wouldnt be considered, this scheme just another its all who you know.
    if the son has his own parlour and cows are transfered into his herd number and are been milked in new parlour whats wrong,nothing, but if not its typical of this country bring out rules and dont enforce them,and i dont know the rules so will most likely be wrong.what are the rules that he is breaking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 jay gttdi

One of the main asscessment guidelines in the rules is stated as independence- extent to which applicants intend to run their own enterprise, without the likelihood of quota being absorbed into other existing enterprises, in all honesty what level minded and fair person who was on this interview panel couldnt see that after the 3 years period where your not allowed to merge with another enterprise, everything will be moved back into the main herd, unless the lad goin to be milking 4 times a day with two seperate groups of cows:rolleyes:.
    Considering the amount of applicants for this over 200 seems a bit irish this lad gettin the quota, then this family have a lot of connections;).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

One of the main asscessment guidelines in the rules is stated as independence- extent to which applicants intend to run their own enterprise, without the likelihood of quota being absorbed into other existing enterprises, in all honesty what level minded and fair person who was on this interview panel couldnt see that after the 3 years period where your not allowed to merge with another enterprise, everything will be moved back into the main herd, unless the lad goin to be milking 4 times a day with two seperate groups of cows:rolleyes:.
    Considering the amount of applicants for this over 200 seems a bit irish this lad gettin the quota, then this family have a lot of connections;).
    i milked 4 times a day for 6 years:o

then this family have a lot of connections;).
    oh lord god, dont get me started if i got a penny for every asshole who said that to me ,.... i paid for every litre of quota i got up on £2.50a gallon for the first bit , built a new parlour and set up and milked it, then to have people say that to me used to drive me mental.. hard work never killed anyone and begrudging those that do work hard to make something of themselves is rather annoying.. the 6 years milking 4 times a day did pay off , i now have 200,000 gallon quota fully owned and in my own name.. Its no ones fault who their father or relation is, in my case everyone was treated the same by the co-op

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

The quota allocation given out this year is for next years quota year. And afaik there is no stipulation that the recipient of the allocation cannot buy/lease the cattle needed off a relative. So if they applied last year after making up their mind the year before and keeping the required animals needed then fair play to then for forward planning and useing the rules to their advantage.

EDIT I do think, though, that any recipient recieving extra quota like that should have a large proportion of the new entrant quota removed from them (and paid for at purchase price)

• Advertisement

whelan1 you seem to not see my point, my whole problem with this scheme is that well over 100 applicants missed on this scheme in favour of chaps like this who are already involved in the dairy industryand just using this scheme to get their hands on more quota, how can dairy farmer sons be classed as new entrants to dairying especially when this indepenance issue as stated in the rules is took into account, along with the fact that lads who might be say 25/26 suckler farming at home looking to get into thius scheme missing out, when these kinds of applicants would be the definition of new entrants to dairying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭Tipp Man

whelan1 you seem to not see my point, my whole problem with this scheme is that well over 100 applicants missed on this scheme in favour of chaps like this who are already involved in the dairy industryand just using this scheme to get their hands on more quota, how can dairy farmer sons be classed as new entrants to dairying especially when this indepenance issue as stated in the rules is took into account, along with the fact that lads who might be say 25/26 suckler farming at home looking to get into thius scheme missing out, when these kinds of applicants would be the definition of new entrants to dairying.

To counter that why should a dairy farmers son be discriminated against just because his dad already has cows??

If a person meets all the requirements (own herd, parlour etc) then it shouldn't matter a damn if their father is in dairy, beef tillage or the civil service

when i was a new entrant- obviously things have changed- i had a department guy out a good few times he would call with out warning and told me of at least 1 guy who didnt have the facilities but had applied for the quota ... i was a new entrant as i had my own facilities , but i would not like to be applying as one and not have them, if you're that annoyed about it ring the department...

Just to try and explain my point further here is an article in fwi where bill o keeffe specifically states how he is using this scheme to expand his herd on what planet would you class this guy as a new entrant to dairying. http://www.fwi.co.uk/Articles/07/12/2010/124645/Wintered-in-calf-heifers-show-weight-gain-up-to-80kg.htm
    just copy and paste to view article

Advertisement