Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what to grow in polytunnell overwinter?

Options
  • 13-09-2011 12:12am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 43

Hi lads, could anyone tell me what (if any) veggies can I grow in my tunnell over the winter?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

http://nickykylegardening.com/

Read her Diary entries for the Polytunnel, especially this months'. Great site and full of great info. Think it is getting a bit late to be sowing for a lot of the winter stuff that can make it in a tunnel. But she lists what you can still do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 tadhg11

will do,thanks for the info

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭fitzcoff

http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/Polytunnel-Joyce-Russell/9780711231702

I'm finding this book great, has loads of info and well written, but from what I read a lot of it is hit and miss with the weather being so unpredictable.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Clare man

some items that you can put in now some will Garlic, Broad Beans, Fennel,beetroot, Winter lettuces, mizuna etc Pak Choi, turnips, potatoes if you have a few chitted earlies left over.. also do some herbs buy a parsley plans, sow some coriander etc these will all stand over winter

I am doing all these potatoes are in 1 week now and are over ground, garlic and broad beans will do soon..

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭sponge_bob

Clare man wrote: »
    some items that you can put in now some will Garlic, Broad Beans, Fennel,beetroot, Winter lettuces, mizuna etc Pak Choi, turnips, potatoes if you have a few chitted earlies left over.. also do some herbs buy a parsley plans, sow some coriander etc these will all stand over winter

I am doing all these potatoes are in 1 week now and are over ground, garlic and broad beans will do soon..

thought garlic needed cold weather to grow?
    so its best suited to outside conditions

i just planted whatever seeds i had left over carrots, lettuce, spinach, baby leeks and some peas:eek: also planted some onion seed should be ready next summer. what ever comes up in the next week will grow and if nothing comes up i may try and stick in something else in their spot, survival of the quickest in my greenhouse:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46 Clare man

Garlic will grow well in tunnel and crop early, with larger bulbs in my experience, I typically keep the best of these for sowing inside and out the following year

the tunnel is a very cold place with frost in the dark winter months, some times it is colder than outside

Advertisement