Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway CC vote to remove other roundabouts!

Options
  • 13-09-2011 12:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭

Galway City Councillors have voted for the proposed works at the Morris (N6/R863) and Font (N6/N17) Roundabouts to proceed.

Words fail!!:mad::mad::mad::mad:

all i can say is repeat what Councillor Nuala Nolan who voted no tweeted
    More roundabouts to be taken out in Galway, a winter of discontent lies ahead.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭GalwayGaillimh

Off with there heads! I love the Morris roundabout!
    That roundabout seemed to actually work pretty well. Who voted in these people?

Si Deus Nobiscum Qui Contra Nos

• Closed Accounts Posts: 865 ✭✭✭FlashD

What a waste of money!....and the traffic chaos that will ensue.

What are we replacing these roundabouts with that is so much better?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Fozzie Bear

FlashD wrote: »
    What are we replacing these roundabouts with that is so much better?

Traffic light controlled junctions. I mean just look at the massive success they made of the junction at the Huntsman when they done the same thing:mad:. (After a couple of tries at it of course) :rolleyes:

A winter of discontent? More like a decade of it.....

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭lucianot

All I ask is that they do it properly, i.e. in time, under budget, well planned so all road users are satisfied, pedestrian, cyclist and motorist. Is it so difficult?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

lucianot wrote: »
    All I ask is that they do it properly, i.e. in time, under budget, well planned so all road users are satisfied, pedestrian, cyclist and motorist. Is it so difficult?

Do you live in Ireland?:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Hurler85

I cant believe Galway CC are actually going through with these plans. The works at Moni were a disaster and caused traffic chaos while it was under construction. My biggest worry is that these works will still be some way off completion once the ocean race comes next year, which will result in major traffic disruption during the highlight of next summer.

Surely people should protest this! What an absolute disgrace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 673 ✭✭✭GekkePrutser

I know it's not a popular opinion but I'm glad the Morris roundabout is going. When I leave work it is impossible to get out because there is a constant stream of cars going past it, and the high speed and poor visibility on oncoming traffic it makes it very unsafe.

I know it's pretty safe if you're just continuing on from the N6 but from the nearby industrial estate it's a nightmare. I also had a few very close calls crossing on foot.

By the way, lights can be done properly. Where I'm from every junction (and every major roundabout) has traffic lights and the flow is just fine.

Edit: I do have to say though, In my view the outer bypass is absolutely needed and the roundabouts would be fine if all that through traffic would be gone. I was reading in the paper that funds have been secured so I'd wish they put their efforts to using them. I don't think the N6 will ever work well for the amount of traffic it needs to handle.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭apoeiguq3094y

What is with the anti-change camp around here. Traffic is chronic in galway, and for once the council are doing something to change it. I remember spending an hour getting from eyre square to the bons hospital on friday evenings. It was painful, at least now it moves somewhat.

All the people who are outraged are the ones who were on the one route through the roundabouts that were flowing. Meanwhile the rest of us didn't have a prayer of getting through those roundabouts.

You have all these councillors and business people opposed to it because they have some magical skill of traffic prediction. Roundabouts don't work if unless all the entrances have an even amount of traffic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 865 ✭✭✭FlashD

I have just been listening to the Ray D'Arcy show and the cuts that have been made to special needs children in the last few years and here in Galway they're firing money at changing roundabouts.

What an absolute outrage! What a disgrace!

Do these councillors have any principles or morales?

This money could be going to better uses. People should know this.

When's the next election? They deserve to go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭lucianot

I think the roundabouts have to go, but not in the way it happened to Moneenageisha.
    Also that money probably comes from Galway own taxes, nothign to do with special needs children funds.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

I have just been listening to the Ray D'Arcy show and the cuts that have been made to special needs children in the last few years and here in Galway they're firing money at changing roundabouts.

What an absolute outrage! What a disgrace!

Do these councillors have any principles or morales?

This money could be going to better uses. People should know this.

When's the next election? They deserve to go.

I don't think the councillors are responsible for funding special needs children.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭McTigs

I have just been listening to the Ray D'Arcy show What a disgrace!
    What a disgrace is right!

As far as i can see, galway motorists are consumate moaners.... moan about the traffic, moan when any effort to rectify it is put forward, moan that they will be put out while those efforts are being made, moan that nobody wants to listen to their moaning.

The moaning that went on in the ironman thread is typical of this.

The roundabouts in this city do not work for everyone, not all motorists, not all cyclists, not all pedestrians. Doing nothing isn't an option. Moneenagisha took a while to work but teething problems are normal and it seems to flow pretty well and fairly for all approachs now. No doubt the new junctions won't be perfect in their first week either. But we can't always be so terrified of change or terrified of the inconvenience while those changes are being implimented.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭leonidas83

McTigs wrote: »

As far as i can see, galway motorists are consumate moaners.... moan about the traffic, moan when any effort to rectify it is put forward, moan that they will be put out while those efforts are being made, moan that nobody wants to listen to their moaning.

The roundabouts in this city do not work for everyone, not all motorists, not all cyclists, not all pedestrians. Doing nothing isn't an option. Moneenagisha took a while to work but teething problems are normal and it seems to flow pretty well and fairly for all approachs now. No doubt the new junctions won't be perfect in their first week either. But we can't always be so terrified of change or terrified of the inconvenience while those changes are being implimented.

With all due respect but you dont know what your talking about, Moneengisha does not flow pretty well, it barely flows at all and is a disgrace most mornings between 8-10 am. The only good thing about those lights was that it made it safer for pedestrians but I would like to know the footfall because I hardly ever see anyone down there.

Galway people are no worse than anywhere else for moaning, its just we have to put up with so much incompetence from the councils here. The traffic you refer over the last few weeks was a disgrace because there was 3 different roadworks being carried out at the same time in the same area. Before this we had the jokes that were the eyre square redevelopment fiasco and then the water crisis. I know there has been many more that I cant even remember now.

All these redevelopments of roundabouts are not needed and have already proven not to work, this is at a time when money needs to be spent wisely and on people instead of bloody traffic lights.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

I posted some Council statistics on the amount of pedestrians, cyclists and motorists using Moinín junction..you could do a search.

But anyway, well done to the Council members for voting to remove the roundabouts and go ahead with the N6 corridor upgrade in town.

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭ciotog

leonidas83 wrote: »
    With all due respect but you dont know what your talking about, Moneengisha does not flow pretty well, it barely flows at all and is a disgrace most mornings between 8-10 am. The only good thing about those lights was that it made it safer for pedestrians but I would like to know the footfall because I hardly ever see anyone down there.
    Which direction do you come from to that junction? I'm usually there around 8:30 to 9, coming from the Dublin Road and turning left onto College Road and never spend that long waiting. Am I luckier than others because of the left filter?

ciotog wrote: »
    Which direction do you come from to that junction? I'm usually there around 8:30 to 9, coming from the Dublin Road and turning left onto College Road and never spend that long waiting. Am I luckier than others because of the left filter?

I come from the opposite direction, college road straight on up the Monivea road

snubbleste wrote: »
    I posted some Council statistics on the amount of pedestrians, cyclists and motorists using Moinín junction..you could do a search.

But anyway, well done to the Council members for voting to remove the roundabouts and go ahead with the N6 corridor upgrade in town.

Council statistics, I wouldnt trust them or believe them to be accurate in the first place

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

I'm cautiously behind the replacements of the roundabouts with "smart" junctions namely because for better or worse, the Moneen junction is meant to be part of a larger system. When that system is there, it will get better. If it doesn't, hey, we have a Keynesians dream in perpertually digging up the roundabouts, putting in lights, digging out the lights, putting in a roundabout.

And also massively benefit "The Most Vulnerable in Society" ™ who for the purposes of this post shall be the sick, the elderly, people in wheelchairs and those massive wheeled Paris-Dakar style prams beloved of the white middle classes.

As a complete aside, the junction at Moneen would be better if 3 very Irish driving habits were eliminated:
    1. Being shocked to bejaysus that the lights actually change to green, then struggling to find first gear (because it isn't where you left it), battling with the handbrake you ratcheted within an inch of it's life and then take the whole thing out on your clutch.
    2. "Backing up" traffic behind you when you do get moving by touching the brakes 3 times whilst cornering, creating a concertina effect.
    3. Assuming you have a 40 foot trailer on the back of your Corolla by the line you take through the junction. Bonus style points are awarded for a Scandanavian Flick style feint on the way in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

What does this mean for Johnny and Jimmys reputation as the big influences in the city? :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Pure Sound

I've lived in Galway all my life and I'm ashamed to say that I am really starting to despise the cynicism of Galway people, everything on the Galway City Forum these days seems to be "Poor Me" **** everyone else as long as I'm happy

It's pretty obvious that traffic lights work if synchronised properly, the system is used everywhere else in the world bar ourselves and the UK, it's a system that does not endanger the lives of pedestrians and cyclists as much, roundabouts are a nightmare when cycling, hopefully now the council will push on and provide better public transport too

5249067723_4d32014203.jpg

Council statistics, I wouldnt trust them or believe them to be accurate in the first place

Whyever not? You started a thread this morning based on Council statistics.

snubbleste wrote: »
    Whyever not? You started a thread this morning based on Council statistics.

A social housing list and statistics on traffic and footfall are two completely different things. A social housing list requires feck all accumulation and interpretation of data whereas the other requires a large degree on monitoring and analysis but you would know that already since you seem to be such an expert on all council related matters.

A social housing list and statistics on traffic and footfall are two completely different things. A social housing list requires feck all accumulation and interpretation of data whereas the other requires a large degree on monitoring and analysis but you would know that already since you seem to be such an expert on all council related matters.

This is my post from May and the Council's presentation showing various modes of transport the Council are obliged to provide for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭PennyLane88

McTigs wrote: »

We moan about the traffic because it is chronic in Galway city, sitting in a line of traffic for ages when there's no need if the council actually did their job and managed roadworks better, and stop thinking traffic lights are the answer. More roads need to be put in not more f**king traffic lights.

And the moneen traffic lights are a bit of a disaster too, depending on the direction you're coming from.

And look at the location for the entrance for the briarhill shopping centre, im surprised there hasnt been a serious accident there yet. Again, poor, poor planning.

Headford road roundabout is a disaster, mainly due to those poxy traffic lights. And the fact alot of people who use it cannot get the concept of a roundabout.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 696 ✭✭✭coconut5

I love how they are starting these roadworks in winter, when weather is at its worst, and there are loads of people on the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

I was told a couple of things about the plans for the lights over the weekend, I'd like to know if anyone else has heard the same things and if it's true (sources if possible).

1) It's just the Tuam Rd, Ballybane & Briahill roundabouts that will be done before the ocean race next year. Cemetery Cross & Headford road will be left until after the VOR.

2) The synchronisation of the lights won't happen until all the roundabouts have been converted to traffic light controlled junctions.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭yeehaw

coconut5 wrote: »
    I love how they are starting these roadworks in winter, when weather is at its worst, and there are loads of people on the road.

Have a think about that one. I can imagine you posting this at any time of year. 'Why are they starting this in summer when all the tourists are here?'

Take your moaning elsewhere moaner.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭emptybladder

antoobrien wrote: »
    I was told a couple of things about the plans for the lights over the weekend, I'd like to know if anyone else has heard the same things and if it's true (sources if possible).

1) It's just the Tuam Rd, Ballybane & Briahill roundabouts that will be done before the ocean race next year. Cemetery Cross & Headford road will be left until after the VOR.

2) The synchronisation of the lights won't happen until all the roundabouts have been converted to traffic light controlled junctions.

1) There are 6 roundabouts in the scheme: Briarhill (starting next week); Tuam Road and Ballybane (starting by end of year) and then Headford Road, Terryland and Corrib Park (starting after January sales).

2) Correct. The Urban Traffic Management Centre will be up and running by Easter, when the six roundabouts will be completed.

It's also planned to remove further roundabouts, but not as part of the N6 scheme.

(No link, read it in the paper)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭ciotog

antoobrien wrote: »
    I don't know about this one, the traffic management centre is due to go live in the December (acceptance testing) to February ('go live' proper) period which gives them the capability of discrete control on traffic lights. This was mentioned in one of the papers I believe. So, I would expect they wouldn't have to wait for all roundabouts to achieve what you're asking for (I'm making assumptions about what you mean on synchronisation and being a bit vague in case I'm wrong :) ).

Advertisement