Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Want a bike but am completely clueless!

• 13-09-2011 1:26am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

Sorry for posting what must be a repetitive thread for all the regulars. The Biki seems to be down at the moment so I couldn't check the FAQs.

Basically, I was hoping to get some advice on purchasing a bike. I'm female, 5'4 and haven't ridden a bike in years! I will hopefully be getting the bike under the cycle to work scheme and would be willing to spend up to about €400.

It will be mostly used for commuting to work (about 20 minutes with decent roads and cycle paths) and some recreational cycling at the weekends. No off-road stuff.

I am completely clueless as to what would be the best to go for so any help at all will be greatly appreciated.

Steph

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Chinafoot wrote: »
    less as to what would be the best to go for so any help at all will be greatly appreciated.

I'd recommend a trip to a friendly bicycle shop. There's a thread here with lots of chat about local bicycle shops so you are sure to find one nearby.

Talk to the people in the shop about what you like and dislike about what they show you all the options.

You really sound like you need to sit on a bike rather than have the interwebnet tell you you need campagnolo super record electronic on a canyon.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭sibeen99

Hi Steph,
    definitely what Idleater says, go to a bike shop and try out the different types of bikes. I recently bought a hybrid Trek on the BTW scheme and it is perfect for my journey in and out to work. I also started taking it out in the evenings and started enjoying the cycling more and more. Before long I was doing 50K spins and so I did the SKT 50KM and then the Rebel 80KM. And this is where i feel a little sorry that I did not fully research my purchase as I feel now a road bike would have been preferable!

So, my advice after all that is to take your time, maybe see if you can borrow a bike from someone to see how much you enjoy it. Is it really just for commuting or will you want to use it more???

HTH :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭NeedMoreGears

+1 on both of the above.

You might consider "saving up" your bike to work tax back for a more expensive bike (i.e. where you might spend the full €1000 and thereby get the maximum tax back) just in case you get bitten by the bug and fancy something a bit better later on. "Before long I was doing 50km spins....." is a common afflication around here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

This dilemma is like trying to find a unifying theory of everything.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055581648

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,653 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Having an idea where you're based, Richie's Bike Store in Swords is probably the best place for you to have a look - they have plenty of positive feedback on here

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

Hi again,

Just wanted to say a huge thanks for the advice. I finally got around to popping in to Richie's bike shop in Swords and the gent who helped me was excellent. He listened and recommended and I'm all set-up now. Hopefully my work won't drag their heels on it now. I'm dying to get on my bike :)

Thanks again all.

Advertisement