Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New build malfunctioning.

Options
  • 13-09-2011 4:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone;

Hoping someone with more experience can help me out here. I bought components for a new rig recently and assembled it two days ago. (11th). But I've been having some very strange issues with it and have not been able to use the new rig.
    1. It sometimes takes the system a long time - up to 30 seconds - to activate the monitor and start into BIOS after being booted. Especially after a hard reboot.
    2. No keyboard or mouse will work with it for any length of time. I have two keyboards, one an old Tesco thingy, PS/2 and a new Microsoft Ergonomic USB keyboard. Both keyboards work perfectly on my existing machine.
      But the Tesco keyboard doesn't work at all on the new build and the new USB keyboard sometimes works until BIOS hands over to a booting operating system, like Windows Setup. After which it fails, and no mouse works either. But perversely, it seems there is no other apparent malfunction and everything would work perfectly but for the fact that I cannot control the machine.
    My specs are:
    Cooler Master Case
    AMD Phenom II X4
    MSI 870A-G54
    Corsair Vengance 2*2GB (4GB) RAM 1600Mhz CL9
    EVGA GeForce GTX 550Ti 1gb
    Seagate 2TB HD
    BenQ DW1620 DVD+-RW
    (Windows 7 Professional)

I'm guesstimating that the problem is a questionable mainboard, but would like to know more if I can before RMAing it. Could I have made some kind of error, anything, could I have set something in BIOS, missed anything anywhere, or could another piece of hardware be faulty and thus be directly or indirectly causing the malfunctions? I suspect it may be necessary to sign up to MSIs user forums and ask there as well, as I am rather desperate for answers.

Thanks in advance to any and all who might take pity on this poor fellow builder :o

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Trevor451

Seems like the USB controllers are fecked alright. Maybe try and disabling legacy USB setting and see does that help it?

Advertisement