Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

% Of DIT Drop-Outs???

Options
  • 13-09-2011 4:09am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

Just out of curiosity... Does anyone know the average percentage of dropouts from DIT after say a few semesters...

Because it has been reported on my course DT557 ( 20 Places) That one year Only about 8 made it to the Erasmus year, while the reset of the other students vanished, nowhere to be seen.

It would be interesting to know the reason, maybe a lack of interest in the course? bad lecturers? poor facilities? or DIT's well known fatal flaw of poor help from the admin staff?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,414 ✭✭✭StaticNoise

I'm on that course. Who's this?
    Second year, now in third on Erasmus I imagine?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,027 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

ROGFOR10 wrote: »
    It would be interesting to know the reason, maybe a lack of interest in the course? bad lecturers? poor facilities? or DIT's well known fatal flaw of poor help from the admin staff?

I don't think such stats are collected. A mate of mine dropped out last year and I can't remember them asking why or giving him any forms to fill out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,414 ✭✭✭StaticNoise

I think the Sunday Times educational supplement each year references the dropout rates, no?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,027 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

I think the Sunday Times educational supplement each year references the dropout rates, no?

Yeah I'm sure the numbers of drop-outs are available, just not too sure if the reasons why are.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 46 penpusher

yes, if you withdraw from a course you are asked to fill out why - if you don't fill it out, not much DIT can do.
    But they do record the attrition if not the reasons.
    I remember DIT did well (relatively-speaking) in the league tables for attrition for Irish universities. Big faceless unis like UCD did worse

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭campuslife

Hi OP,

The average retention rate is around 80-85%, (i.e. the drop-out rate is 15-20%) but it varies from year to year, and from programme to programme. Generally retention is higher among mature students, students registered with the disability service and access students. It's also generally higher in Level 8 courses than level 6 or level 7.

There's a Retention Office that do exit interviews with students who are leaving, and work with academic staff to improve retention rates.

Hope that helps,
    Brian

Advertisement