Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost of phpp?

Options
  • 13-09-2011 6:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭

I did a forum search but couldn't find an answer to this.

My house drawings should be ready this week for my 2,500sq ft. passive dormer and whilst I am not concerned with having the house certified passive I would like to verify the design.

Can anyone tell me what I should be paying to have a phpp done on the design as a standalone service?

Thanks

D-M.

invest4deepvalue.com

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭archtech

Do-more wrote: »
    I did a forum search but couldn't find an answer to this.

My house drawings should be ready this week for my 2,500sq ft. passive dormer and whilst I am not concerned with having the house certified passive I would like to verify the design.

Can anyone tell me what I should be paying to have a phpp done on the design as a standalone service?

Thanks

D-M.

The best way is to obtain 3 quotations. Calculations are specific to the individual house, so its hard for anyone to give definitive answers with seeing the plans. It is most probable that the design will need to be tweaked, to achieve passive standard, so its not just a case of running the design through the software.

There are over 100 certified passive house designers in Ireland and many others whom can use the software, including one or two on here whom may give you a quotation.

I know I didn't give you the answer you wanted, but expect to pay a considerable amount more than a BER assessment for the same house.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

Not even a ballpark figure for a simple standard rectangular 2,500sq. ft dormer with two dormer windows and no Velux's? €200-€500-€1000?

I should have the final drawings in the next day or two, if anyone would like to quote, please PM me.

invest4deepvalue.com

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

I'm a certified PH designer, its just the initial stage you want? the main problem with quoting here is that we haven't seen your drawings or had any input into them, ideally your arch is doing your provisional ber and phpp calc, that way he/she is juggling all aspects of design, aesthetics and energy saving at the same time..

what you will find is its a much more onerous process than say the BER, it involves a lot more calcs and inputs into what basically a glorified excell sheet.

this takes about 3-4 full days to do it right (depending on your building type and how specific you are regarding your materials, windows , (actually calculating the Thermal Bridge's is another story)) the next stage is too tweak your design to maximise the passive house concept. this is where the 'grey area' is as many guys like your self by the sounds of it have already 'fixed' their design, the changes could be as small as adjusting a few windows to maximise the solar gains, enlarge the store room thats housing the MVHR or it could mean changing around the whole house design to face as many of the 'used' rooms to the south..

hope this helps, I've sent you a PM to answer your OP's question

Thanks folks for the replies and the PM's

I have had a quote from the Certified Passive house designer who prepared the drawings for my house.

I was just concerned that as he is of course the logical person to do the phpp thus he might have thought he had me over a barrel and would overcharge.

But it seems his quote is very competitive.

Thanks again for all input.

invest4deepvalue.com

• Registered Users Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭MicktheMan

Just to add a word on design verification using phpp. I have found that it is of vital importance that whoever is verifying your design they use the correct climate data as I believe that the two data sets available for Ireland can give severly misleading results. You can get a specific dataset for your site which, imo, is well worth the extra euros.

• Advertisement

Thanks Mick, can you tell me where you go about getting the climate data for a specific site?

My architect said he had had a quick look for climate data and all he found was for either Stockholm which is 600kms away from me or Copenhagen which is 60kms away.

invest4deepvalue.com

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

pm sent with details on this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭sinnerboy

archtech wrote: »
    The best way is to obtain 3 quotations.

There are over 100 certified passive house designers in Ireland and many others whom can use the software, including one or two on here whom may give you a quotation.

Agreed - look here

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭fclauson

PM sent

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭thebackbar

hi folks,
    sorry for dragging up this thread, has anyone got a phpp completed recently ? how much did it cost ? was it worth it ?

thanks

• Advertisement
Advertisement