Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Advice on my first long cycle - weather looks crap for it!

• 13-09-2011 8:03am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,283 ✭✭✭

Hi, i have a 90km charity cycle on Saturday from Nenagh to Galway via portumna, leaving Nenaghat 9. This was taken from the daily forecast in the weather forum: "SATURDAY ... Becoming rather windy with blustery showers especially across the north and west, winds WNW 30-50 mph, lows near 7 C and highs near 14"

So basically I have to cycle for 90km straight into a 30-50 mph wind. Furthest I've cycled so far was 75km and I was pretty wrecked after it due to the wind! Can anyone give tips or suggestions on how to make the cycle a little more comfortable? How much should I eat? When should I eat it, pre cycle? What should I bring with me to eat/drink on the road? Any tips to make cycling into a 30-50 mph wind a little easier? A lot of beginner cyclists are doing this cycle!

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,657 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

....make sure you don't get dropped!!

Seriously though, if you can get in a large group and stick with them the wind will not feel anything like as bad. Ideally riders should take turns at the front, but there will inevitably be stronger riders who will probably pull the group along. It's better in the middle of the bunch than at the back (where you are more exposed and may be playing catch-up at every junction)

If you're left on your own, however, battling the wind you could soon get demoralised - if a group does come along try and tag on

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,657 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

On the nutrition point, eat well the night before and carry some energy bars (you could also take enegy gels, although be careful as some people react a little negatively to them, so it's worth trying them out beforehand). Presumably there will be stops where you will be able to get some sandwiches and the like? In terms of fluids, water will be fine - just keep taking it at regular intervals, and remember to top up your bottle at the stops

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,283 ✭✭✭Deedsie

Beasty wrote: »
    ....make sure you don't get dropped!!

Seriously though, if you can get in a large group and stick with them the wind will not feel anything like as bad. Ideally riders should take turns at the front, but there will inevitably be stronger riders who will probably pull the group along. It's better in the middle of the bunch than at the back (where you are more exposed and may be playing catch-up at every junction)

If you're left on your own, however, battling the wind you could soon get demoralised - if a group does come along try and tag on

I will definitely keep that in mind, I am hoping the stronger cyclists won't just tear off so. There will be all level of cyclist doing the cycle.
    Beasty wrote: »
    On the nutrition point, eat well the night before and carry some energy bars (you could also take enegy gels, although be careful as some people react a little negatively to them, so it's worth trying them out beforehand). Presumably there will be stops where you will be able to get some sandwiches and the like? In terms of fluids, water will be fine - just keep taking it at regular intervals, and remember to top up your bottle at the stops

Ya we are stopping in portumna and loughrea. 30 km-ish markers. Are there any particular brand of energy bar you'd recommend? For the 75 km cycle I had a bowl of porridge before I left. A mars duo and two bottles of lucozade energy! And a water bottle of water!

Deedsie wrote: »
    Are there any particular brand of energy bar you'd recommend?
    I like the High5 stuff. However it's largely down to taste, and you're probably best checking what your LBS stock and giving it a try

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Food wise, I go with a bowl of porridge and mug of sweet tea before heading off, and a couple of bidons with High-5 and some flapjacks or energy bars for the trip. I'd say bring a waterproof jacket but if you're a sweaty bastard like me, don't put it on until you cool down. A beanie under the helmet is good too, but only if you feel the cold.

As for the rest of it, I'd say the most important thing is to smile and enjoy your spin. If the weather is horrendous and going tough, it just makes for better stories over a few pints afterwards. The really challenging days where the distance is long and weather is scary are the ones you'll remember most fondly, so look forward to a great day out! The camaraderie at these group events tends to be great, and those with more experience typically provide loads of encouragement en route to help the beginners get through.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

There is a gang of ye doing this as you say.
    (1) Sit in the bunch, do no work at all at the front. Its your first cycle of any distance - why should you pull the more experienced cyclists around in your slipstream. Your time at the front will come (preferrably on a windless sunny day:D).
    (2) Eat well the night before, but dont stuff yourself. Something healthy with carbs. Lots of folk say pasta. I find you cant beat some nice mashed potatoes - whatever floats your boat really.
    (3) Good breakfats with slow release energy. Porridge, oats, flapjackes.
    (4) Hydrate - before hand.
    (5) Hydrate on the bike. Little and often. Always be sipping.
    (6) If you dont already have them, buy overshoes. Wet cold feet are a killer.
    (7) IMHO it is to late to trial something like High5. It is not unknown for people to have a reaction to energy drinks. Best to avoid if you have not already trialled them. Next time maybe.
    (8) You can make your own energy drink. Disolve some sugar and salt in some boling water - allow to cool. Flavour with something like Mi-Wadi/Robinsons/Ribena.
    (9) On the bike eat small amounts regularly. If you are not used to energy bars or gels, then but some flapjacks or oatcakes/granola bars.
    (10) In the wet do not hog the brakes.
    Enjoy the cycle and best of luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭ashleey

Go easy on the coffee and water in the hour before otherwise you'll be bursting, have to stop and then be out of the group!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

Deedsie wrote: »
    This was taken from the daily forecast in the weather forum: "SATURDAY ... Becoming rather windy with blustery showers especially across the north and west, winds WNW 30-50 mph, lows near 7 C and highs near 14"

That sounds like last Saturday. Next weekend is expected to be less stormy.

RT66 wrote: »
    That sounds like last Saturday. Next weekend is expected to be less stormy.

From Tuesday 13th of September unfortunately. I was out last Saturday, the winds were south easterly from 12:00 to 14:00 anyway.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055579971&page=148

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

That's by far the worst forecast I've seen for Saturday. Most are putting a max of 20mph on it.
    It shouldn't be too bad. Get to about 5th or 6th back in the group and try to stay there. It's a charity event so they shouldn't be pushing on too hard. Don't be afraid to shout for a slower pace if someone's acting the mickey.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭carrielou

http://www.accuweather.com/ukie/forecast.asp?partner=accuweather&traveler=0&postalcode=portumna&metric=1

I always use accuweather and type in the area. I put in portumna and its saying for Saturday:

a couple of showers. Winds from the WNW at 25 km/h.

May not be too bad.............. i regularly have to check weather for himself cos he is a steel erector and find this to be the most accurate of the lot.

Enjoy the cycle :-)

Thanks for all the tips. Hopefully it will go well now and the wind won't spoil it on us.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭michaelm

I live along the route and suggest the wind will not be a problem until you get to Loughrea due to the high sided ditches up to here, giving plenty of shelter. From here on (and you are literally on the home straight at this stage) just do as previous posters said and stay tight in the bunch.
    What is this event by the way?

michaelm wrote: »
    I live along the route and suggest the wind will not be a problem until you get to Loughrea due to the high sided ditches up to here, giving plenty of shelter. From here on (and you are literally on the home straight at this stage) just do as previous posters said and stay tight in the bunch.
    What is this event by the way?

It is just a privately organised event, a relative of mine was diagnosed with motor neuron disease. The cycle is to raise awareness, funds etc. I'm not sure if there are any seasoned cyclist taking part to be honest.

This is today's forecast for Saturday from the weather forum:

SATURDAY ... Becoming rather windy with blustery showers especially across the north and west, winds WNW 30-50 mph, lows near 7 C and highs near 14.

Advertisement