Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Breaking the Lease Agreement

Options
  • 13-09-2011 9:54am

Hi All,

I’m sure this has been answered before but I can’t find it. I’m about to hand in my notice to the letting agency that let out my flat. I am only half way through my lease. I am giving 1 and ½ months notice.
    Can anyone tell me, am I entitled to my deposit back or can the letting agency decide not to give it back to me? The flat is in good order.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,399 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Does your lease have a break clause - are you allowed leave part way through?

You can however assign the lease to another (reasonable) party.

you risk being held to paying the rent for hte rest of the lease or until the landlord can find a replacement.

• Victor wrote: »
    Does your lease have a break clause - are you allowed leave part way through?

I don't think there is a break clause.
    God I hope I don't get caught to pay the rest of the lease. I'm emigrating to a different country so I have no choice but to break the lease.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,399 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Explain you've lost your job, have no money and will have to leave the country. Some landlords will be reasonable.

• Victor wrote: »
    Explain you've lost your job, have no money and will have to leave the country. Some landlords will be reasonable.

This letting agency will not care about my situation, I know that for sure. They do everything by the book.

Maybe Ill give PRTB a ring.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭seanp_25

Have you considered advertising the flat to find a replacement?

You wouldn't be stuck to pay the rest of the rent then.

• Advertisement

• seanp_25 wrote: »
    Have you considered advertising the flat to find a replacement?

You wouldn't be stuck to pay the rest of the rent then.

Yea I could give that a shot. Im sure they will probably hit me with charges for different things if I did that that route.

On the other hand I could just not pay the next months rent and just leave after handing in my notice, although I probably wouldn't feel comfortable doing that.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭seanp_25

Yea I could give that a shot. Im sure they will probably hit me with charges for different things if I did that that route.

I don't think there should be any charges? Talk with the landlord, ask him what your options are. I've done this before and never had any problems. I definitely never had to pay the remainder of the rent contract. Worst case that happened to me was losing the deposit.

• seanp_25 wrote: »
    I don't think there should be any charges? Talk with the landlord, ask him what your options are. I've done this before and never had any problems. I definitely never had to pay the remainder of the rent contract. Worst case that happened to me was losing the deposit.

Ok ill email them about it tomorrow and get the ball rolling. Fingers crossed that are nice about it.

Advertisement