Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

'04 Corolla fuel economy

• 13-09-2011 10:23am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17

I recently bought a 2004 Corolla 1.6 vvti T-spirit with 29k miles on the clock. According to the trip computer, the fuel consumption is 10litres/100km, which is roughly 25 mpg (I think). My previous car was a 1.0l, so I was expecting it to be paying a bit more for fuel with the new car, but I still thought the fuel consumption would be a bit better than this...somewhere around the 30-35 mpg mark maybe?
    Does anyone know if 10l/100km is high for this make and model, or is it par for the course??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭homer90

It does seem a little extreme if on long runs. City driving its a different story..

I currently get those figures in a 530i auto.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭garhjw

something definitely sounds wrong there.

what type of driving do you do? city, motorway etc? obviously this will have major impact on your mpg...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 colinsourke

garhjw wrote: »

what type of driving do you do? city, motorway etc? obviously this will have major impact on your mpg...

It's pretty much all country road driving. Having said that, I only bought the car a couple of weeks ago from a guy who lived in the big smoke, in which time it has dropped from 10.3l/100km to 9.9l/100km. So maybe I just need to wait for it to even out, to reflect the kind of driving I'm doing? Even so, it's hardly going to drop significantly to what I was expecting, so it still seems high to me.
    It was serviced only 2 months ago by the way....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭PADRAIC.M

garhjw wrote: »

It's pretty much all country road driving. Having said that, I only bought the car a couple of weeks ago from a guy who lived in the big smoke, in which time it has dropped from 10.3l/100km to 9.9l/100km. So maybe I just need to wait for it to even out, to reflect the kind of driving I'm doing? Even so, it's hardly going to drop significantly to what I was expecting, so it still seems high to me.
    It was serviced only 2 months ago by the way....
    You should reset the trip by holding down the trip button

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,412 ✭✭✭andyseadog

definitely reset the trip computer and see what its like then after a week or two of your own style driving.

i currently drive a 2000 corolla but with that same 1.6 VVT-i engine and my average according to the trip computer is 34mpg and i'm not saying i rally it everywhere but i certainly dont drive it to save on fuel.

there is also i'm fairly sure a way to switch the trip computer from l/100km, to mpg.

• Advertisement

andyseadog wrote: »
    definitely reset the trip computer and see what its like then after a week or two of your own style driving.

i currently drive a 2000 corolla but with that same 1.6 VVT-i engine and my average according to the trip computer is 34mpg and i'm not saying i rally it everywhere but i certainly dont drive it to save on fuel.

there is also i'm fairly sure a way to switch the trip computer from l/100km, to mpg.

Didn't know how to reset it. I'll try that and hopefully it won't be as bad as I thought!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

PADRAIC.M wrote: »
    You should reset the trip by holding down the trip button
    You should actually ignore the trip and calculate it manually;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Gophur

10l/100km = 28.2 mpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭Kenny_D

T-spirit?

Are you sure thats not a T-Sport corolla with the vvtL-i engine? If thats the case I'd say the MPG figure is about right given the massive drop in MPG once lift is engaged. If you haven't reset the trip since you bought the car its taking in the previous owners reading and he may have had it in lift every now and again

Gophur wrote: »
    10l/100km = 28.2 mpg

Ok, I'm a dumbass.... I converted 10l/mpg to US mpg (23.5 approx) instead of Imperial mpg which is 28.2mpg. You learn something new every day! Not as bad as I thought and hopefully it will improve a bit more with my driving style. Thanks for all the help..

• Advertisement

Kenny_D wrote: »
    T-spirit?

Are you sure thats not a T-Sport corolla with the vvtL-i engine? If thats the case I'd say the MPG figure is about right given the massive drop in MPG once lift is engaged. If you haven't reset the trip since you bought the car its taking in the previous owners reading and he may have had it in lift every now and again

No it's not a t-sport (unfortunately!). It's a UK import, and t-spirit just meant the top trim level over there as far as I know. Don't think any Irish models had that badge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

to switch the comp to mpg:

press the right hand knob to cycle through audio adjustment, then fuel units come up, turn know, press knob. simples :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭E39MSport

fyi: -
    My '98 4e-fe 1.3l gave me c. 50 mpg on open roads

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

the 98 model is a lot lighter a car though.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    to switch the comp to mpg:

press the right hand knob to cycle through audio adjustment, then fuel units come up, turn know, press knob. simples :)

Nice one

Advertisement