Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Martial arts

• 13-09-2011 10:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭

Any one know of any martial art clubs that train adults and children in the same class around Limerick city area or Annacotty area of city. thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,279 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Give Pat in Munster Martial Arts a ring.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Truefitt

Does anyone know of a jiu jitsu club in longford or leitrim? Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,287 ✭✭✭source

Truefitt wrote: »

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=949
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=938

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,279 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Truefitt wrote: »

This is the Limerick City forum. I'd doubt anyone here could answer that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Addykip

My name is Addykip and I m from UK, swindon.I loved MMA it’s just so inspired me and my Life.
    the place where i learned they train everyone kids or adults both.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

OP,

A lot depends on what you are looking to get for you and your child. But I can say from personal experience that a martial art becomes a lifelong learning experience of mind and body.

I wandered along to something called Ishin Ryu Ju-Jitsu in the summer of 1990. It had been set up in Liverpool by a man called Kevin Pell and I was a curious kid who already had 6 years of boxing experience to his name but who had no real idea as to what Ishin Ryu Ju-Jitsu actually was.

Now heading towards 22 years later I am a little older, a little greyer, but still learning, and still involved with boxing as well as Ishin Ryu Ju-Jitsu and Taekwondo. It has been an experience and journey that opened my mind as much as it honed my body. At this stage my ranking would be that of 2nd Dan but my approach is always that of one who has plenty to learn.

I would have no hesitation in saying that ju-jitsu would present a wonderful learning experience for both you and your child, and would recommend Mike Carroll in Saint Gerard's Street as an excellent starting point. His dojo teaches Waza Kai Ju-jitsu, and he is one of the best teachers you could wish for. There are a few lads on here that go there, so they should be able to give you their first hand account of how good he is as a sensei.

Ooops just noticed the date on the first post. Sorry mods.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,635 ✭✭✭xsiborg

Mods would it be ok if this one were kept open?

as always Kess you are a wealth of information, i had heard of Munster Martial Arts when i was out in that kids place beside it, but i wanted to ask you-

would you recommend martial arts for a seven year old?

i ask because i only started doing kenpo karate at 16 after years of doing swimming and gymnastics, (i've since had to give it up when i got steel pins in my hip at 22), but im just wondering if it's a good idea to start him so young?

i just think he would benefit from learning mental discipline and focus, as well as the obvious fitness benefits, which i have to say for myself since giving it up, let's just say- i've let myself go a bit! :D

for anyone else that wants information, i googled and found their facebook page-

http://www.facebook.com/WazaKaiJuJitsu#!/WazaKaiJuJitsu

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I've helped out with coaching a bit in the kids' classes at Waza Kai recently. It's a fantastic club from top to bottom. Great atmosphere, lots of fun, and the kids are really well looked after.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

I had a bit of trouble with some neighbourhood bullies when I was a kid.

It was around then that I met a very wise and crafty Asian man who convinced me to paint his fence.

- Turned out the Bollócks just wanted his fence painted :(

Seriously though, I know through someone at work that there's a Taekwondo class in Mungret GAA Clubhouse that caters for Parent and child scenario OP.

- Bit of googling turns up this - If you are interested, please phone Instructor Siobhan Farrell at 087-2200725

• Advertisement

xsiborg wrote: »
    Mods would it be ok if this one were kept open?

as always Kess you are a wealth of information, i had heard of Munster Martial Arts when i was out in that kids place beside it, but i wanted to ask you-

would you recommend martial arts for a seven year old?

i ask because i only started doing kenpo karate at 16 after years of doing swimming and gymnastics, (i've since had to give it up when i got steel pins in my hip at 22), but im just wondering if it's a good idea to start him so young?

i just think he would benefit from learning mental discipline and focus, as well as the obvious fitness benefits, which i have to say for myself since giving it up, let's just say- i've let myself go a bit! :D

for anyone else that wants information, i googled and found their facebook page-

http://www.facebook.com/WazaKaiJuJitsu#!/WazaKaiJuJitsu

Would defo recommend a martial art for a 7 yo, or even a good boxing club. It does wonders for confidence and fitness, but more importantly it teaches control, restraint, and encourages self discipline along with respect for others.

Advertisement