Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

3 owners in less than six years - should I be worried?

• 13-09-2011 10:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭

I'm thinking of buying 06 MINI Cooper S (I know, I know, as practical as a chocolate teapot ... it's my mid-life crisis car and practical as chocolate teapot is an essential spec for such a car)

Anyway, the one I'm looking at is being sold by a dealer and has had three previous owners. Is three owners for a relatively young car something to be worried about? Is this likely to be a lemon from which the previous owners are running, screaming? (It has 45,000 miles on the clock, no history or manuals when I viewed the car though dealer got the history on enquiry (and will order new manuals) - it's been serviced every year except 2009 with standard work done except for work on the brakes in 2010 - replaced discs I think?) The dealer was offering a 6 month warranty but willl stretch it to 9 months. I'm looking for 12 months as I've been warned that if and when MINI Cooper S's go bang they tend to do so in a very expensive way!

Is there anything else I should be thinking about before I hand over my cash? (I've already had a good read of the excellent 'A Guide to Buying Used Cars' sticky)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭pcardin

First owner probably bought on 2006 and traded in on 2007 as it was so fashionable to get new car every year. Next owner on 2007 probably was the same type of "i think I'm rich guy with banks money" and traded in for something else in 2008. :D

I think it's ok for car to have 3 owners within 5-6 year period.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

I'm the third owner on my car and it's a 2009. I know the full story with the previous owners though. Amazing what a quiet word with a salesman in another garage can do;)

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭coolaboola

Pcardin, thanks for reply.

I hear ya! I was thinking that this car is a real child of the Celtic Tiger (RIP) - top spec'ed everything and, being a MINI, overpriced used but hyper-priced new (€33,000 new if the dealer is to be belived) So the picture you're painting sounds feasible...

Another reason that I thought might cause people to quickly trade in a car like the one I'm looking at is sex. Well, the consequences of sex that require baby seats, nappy bags and big trendy buggies. This car wouldn't fit a gnat's carry cot.

I hope I'm not talking myself into a bad decision here! :D

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Lovely cars with strong performance. I drove one in a track day once.

The supercharger whines a bit, and they are heavy enough on fuel.

Three owners for a 2009 car! Impressive, I think.

Yep, I did like the vroom vroom of the supercharger! And you're right, its a horror for fuel consumption. It *aspires* to 33mpg but that's open road driving and very careful open road driving at that. Thankfully, I don't do very high mileage - it took me 8 years to put 34,000 miles on my current car. And when I do drive it's 400km in a day - big, open road driving. I'm a cyclist day-to-day and I get plenty of mpbop (miles per bowl of porridge). It's definitely not a *sensible* choice (the car, not the porridge) but its the first time I'm choosing a car based on its fun factor and it fulfills that requirement in spades :)

Just one thought, this will be our only car. If it goes bang during its warranty period is it standard for the dealer to provide a courtesy car while its being repaired? I could be royally screwed otherwise. While I don;t rely on the car day-to-day when I do need it (usually for work) I do need it and can't be left high and dry because its in the workshop for repair.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

I drove a 07 standard 1.6 recently, seriously good fun albeit a bit plasticy, I'd love to drive a Cooper S!

It could of easily been registered as a demo, (owner one) then sold 3 months later to someone (owner 2) which could have very easily sold it on for another new one!

Number of owners wouldn't bother me, not on something like a Mid life crisis car anyway, so many people have to squish it in :P

coolaboola wrote: »
    Three owners for a 2009 car! Impressive, I think.

Yep, I did like the vroom vroom of the supercharger! And you're right, its a horror for fuel consumption. It *aspires* to 33mpg but that's open road driving and very careful open road driving at that. Thankfully, I don't do very high mileage - it took me 8 years to put 34,000 miles on my current car. And when I do drive it's 400km in a day - big, open road driving. I'm a cyclist day-to-day and I get plenty of mpbop (miles per bowl of porridge). It's definitely not a *sensible* choice (the car, not the porridge) but its the first time I'm choosing a car based on its fun factor and it fulfills that requirement in spades :)

Just one thought, this will be our only car. If it goes bang during its warranty period is it standard for the dealer to provide a courtesy car while its being repaired? I could be royally screwed otherwise. While I don;t rely on the car day-to-day when I do need it (usually for work) I do need it and can't be left high and dry because its in the workshop for repair.

Make sure and ask, but normally yes.

... In answer to my own post, apparently the dealer's warranty does include a courtesy car...

... and I'm on the cusp of making a very unsensible decision (with a 12 month warranty) :)

... In answer to my own post, apparently the dealer's warranty does include a courtesy car...

... and I'm on the cusp of making a very unsensible decision (with a 12 month warranty) :)

Read my sig :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭johndaman66

Another reason that I thought might cause people to quickly trade in a car like the one I'm looking at is sex. Well, the consequences of sex that require baby seats, nappy bags and big trendy buggies. This car wouldn't fit a gnat's carry cot.

Haha love it!:D Time to get an X3 when that happens.
    The dealer was offering a 6 month warranty but willl stretch it to 9 months. I'm looking for 12 months as I've been warned that if and when MINI Cooper S's go bang they tend to do so in a very expensive way!

The warranty won't be there to save you if after 12 months something goes bang in a big way. Hopefully your thinking ahead and taking this into consideration which I'm sure you are. Also, it is my experience that warranty's on cars of that age tend to extend only to the engine, gearbox and back axle. If for example the supercharger were to give I'm not so sure if you would be covered. Worth checking before you sign your name on the dotted line perhaps

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭whippet

I hear ya! I was thinking that this car is a real child of the Celtic Tiger (RIP) - top spec'ed everything and, being a MINI, overpriced used but hyper-priced new (€33,000 new if the dealer is to be belived) So the picture you're painting sounds feasible...

back in 2007 my missus was considering a CooperS and by the time it was specced out it was coming to a price in the region of €45k .... for €33k it wouldn't be anywhere near fully loaded.

have you a link to the advert?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭Wolverine_1999

I drove a 07 standard 1.6 recently, seriously good fun albeit a bit plasticy, I'd love to drive a Cooper S!

It could of easily been registered as a demo, (owner one) then sold 3 months later to someone (owner 2) which could have very easily sold it on for another new one!

Number of owners wouldn't bother me, not on something like a Mid life crisis car anyway, so many people have to squish it in :P

The Mini One is a big heap of plastic moulded into a box to put it one way... the only thing good about the one I drove was that the roof came down :D It was a good laugh then.

But the Cooper S should be a different world completely, great car especially if you could get the convertible.

Coin tossed ... deposit paid ... mid-life crisis here I come!

(I will check about the extent of warranty cover re supercharger before handing over the big money, thanks for that tip!)

All going well I'm picking up the new car on Saturday ... here she is: http://www.adverts.ie/car/cooper-s/cooper-s/mini-cooper-s-2006/513261

Thanks for all the tips and advice, esp Limerick Man for your excellent buyers guide.

Now all I have to do is rehome safe and sensible Big Blue Betsy (I know she's just a car but I can't help feeling a bit bad for ditching her) Where's that seller's guide?

What are you selling? I'm in the process of doing one up! I hope you got it cheaper than that considering a new model here for less,

http://www.carzone.ie/search/MINI/Cooper-S/R56-1.6-/201134204136203/advert?channel=CARS

Hi Limerick Man,

I've got it for less than either ads (after a bit of negotiations for cash discount and a longer warranty) I think 'my' one has a few more bells and whistles, namely a sunroof which I likely irrationally very much! Also, the dealer is within car-pushing distance of my house which helps if the worst comes to the worst :) Tipp is a lovely place but a bit far to go to for a car (I'm lazy like that)

What car are you doing up?

Did anyone actually put together a seller's guide like your excellent Guide to Buying a Car?

Sorry I was I meant was I was in the middle of doing up a Sellers guide :)

Best of luck with the new motor and do post pics when she arrives home!

What are you hoping to sell?

I forgot to tell you what I'm selling:

Meet Big Blue Betsy, 2001 Nissan Almera hatchback, 1.5l engine, 74,012 miles, 5 doors, blue (very important!), new stereo (with radio, CD/MP3 player, auxillary input, USB slot, SD slot), just passed her NCT first time (as always) on Sunday (good to July 2012 - I hadn't noticed I had let it go a bit out of date and when I did it took a while to get a test appointment!), clean (we're non-smokers - my parents recently bought a smokers car ... ack!).

I've owned her for eight years and gladly rely on her to take me on long journeys for work (I'm an all-or-nothing driver - cycle in to town to work every day then drive 400km to Tipp and back in a day!) Big Blue Bertha is sensible, reliable and safe. She's cheap as chips to insure (I pay c. €350 per year for all-singing, all dancing fully comprehensive insurance which includes himself indoors) Road tax is €397 per year. She just isn't a mid-life crisis car, bless her cotton socks.

Loving home sought...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭ofcork

I think it depends on the car how many whether how many owners matter,i bought a 01 laguna in 05 and only found out later it had 3 previous owners and soon discovered why they didnt hold it too long

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,468 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

If the mini states 3 previous owners on the reg cert that the dealer currently has, this would mean that there were 3 owner before the last owner and you would be 5th owner. Important to clarify this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

My car is 08, had one UK owner and one Irish owner before me. I have it nearly a year and have had no issues with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,448 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Is this a mk 1 or mk2 new mini? (2006 was the changeover year and the engine in the Cooper S changed from a supercharged to a turbocharged version.). I have a 2007 Cooper S and I love it (my mid life crisis car - about to turn 40 - is a 2005 Range Rover Supercharged). I love the Mini, it's great fun and spacious enough - I'm 6'5" and 27 stone so I should know.

33k won't have had every toy but as long as it has enough for you I wouldn't worry about it. On the servicing side, did ut come with a TLC (prepaid servicing) pack? If it did you should be able to access the service history.

My only other piece of advice would be to see if it has run flat tyres; if it does, change them. It really improves the ride and makes it into a car which eats up the miles in a fun way. I regularly drive mine from Lkndon to Dublin and vice versa. Changing the tyres has made that a pleasure rather than a pleasure with a sore back attached!

Great tips there, esp re run flat tyres, Marcusm. It does have them. And I'd read about the rough ride they cause. However, what do you do if you get a puncture?? There's no room for a spare (the battery is where the spare usually goes in a car (under the boot))

Marcusm, at your build you must have looked like Mr. Incredible in the MINI!! :D I'm 5'6" and under 10 stone (just!) and himself indoors is only a couple of inches taller than me so we should be grand :)

Not sure which mark MINI it is. Though it was registered in January 2006 which suggests its mark 1.

The dealer has listed the car as having three owners so I guess that means I'd be number 4.

Now I'm in a tizzy trying to find a new home for Big Blue Betsy (who I misnamed Bertha in my earlier post - how could I???) Must get ad up ASAP. Can't afford for insurances to be overlapping so need to rehome Betsy before adopting ... Little Blue Betsy? (Didn't realise that insuring Big Blue Betsy *and* the MINI would be so expensive - €46 extra to cover the MINI on my current insurance to my renewal date in January 2012, grand. €120 to insure Big Blue Betsy for two weeks similtaneously! ARGH!) May have to delay mid-life crisis a few days...

Throw it up on donedeal, be realistic about you're price and it will fly :)

I'd be putting it up for around €1450 and see how you go for the first few days.

Thanks for the advice Limerick Man! (And very much looking foward to seeing your Sellers Guide!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭dharn

best of luck with your new car we could spend our lives worrying about what could go wrong in the future , just enjoy....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,448 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Great tips there, esp re run flat tyres, Marcusm. It does have them. And I'd read about the rough ride they cause. However, what do you do if you get a puncture?? There's no room for a spare (the battery is where the spare usually goes in a car (under the boot))

Marcusm, at your build you must have looked like Mr. Incredible in the MINI!! :D I'm 5'6" and under 10 stone (just!) and himself indoors is only a couple of inches taller than me so we should be grand :)

Not sure which mark MINI it is. Though it was registered in January 2006 which suggests its mark 1.

The dealer has listed the car as having three owners so I guess that means I'd be number 4.

Now I'm in a tizzy trying to find a new home for Big Blue Betsy (who I misnamed Bertha in my earlier post - how could I???) Must get ad up ASAP. Can't afford for insurances to be overlapping so need to rehome Betsy before adopting ... Little Blue Betsy? (Didn't realise that insuring Big Blue Betsy *and* the MINI would be so expensive - €46 extra to cover the MINI on my current insurance to my renewal date in January 2012, grand. €120 to insure Big Blue Betsy for two weeks similtaneously! ARGH!) May have to delay mid-life crisis a few days...

Bizarrely mine does have a tyre well but still no spare tyre due to the run flats. I have been driving along merrily now for a year on ContiSport tyres (not cheap but than the RFTs were expensive too). I have tyre weld cans in case of a puncture - not much use in the event of a blowout but then I doubt I'd be in the humour for changing a tyre after one of those.

I mostly drive in London so maybe I'm a bit more sanguine. However, on a previous car, I got two punctures simultaneously in a small village outside Tuam. Tyres for that car were fairly rare but got a number of a local garage which sent out two lovely Latvian guys with a van fully equipped to change the tyres on the side of the road. IN the end they took them back to their garage as they didn't want to scuff the alloys - it was my first car and in fairness they hadn't seen a kerb that they hadn't been rubbed along so I didn't really care about scratching them more but hey ho.

From puncture to driving away was 65 minutes 10 miles from a decent sized town with unusual tyres. From then on I've decided to risk it in the mini. The tyre weld is recommended though!

Marcusm, sounds like switching the tyres would be worth doing so. I've a dodgy back at the best of times! And investing in good road-side assistance (our insurers' one has been good the odd time we've needed it - flat battery) And some of that tyre weld. Thanks for the tips!

Limerick Man, you're on the ball. Put Big Blue Betsy's ad up on Donedeal just after your post and have already had three calls, two test drives lined up for this evening and one offer (pending test drive) ... Fingers crossed one of these work out and everyone ends up happy.

Dharn, you're so right. And it's more fun than investing in the Bank of Matress (or the Bank of anywhere else right now!)

Woohoo! Latest update: I've just rehomed Big Blue Betsy! Got deposit, gave receipt and new owners picking her up on Sunday evening.

Huge shout out to y'all for sound advice on selling. Limerick Man, you were spot on!

Little Blue Betsy and associated mid-life crisis, here I come! Vroom, vroom!

(Wonder if I should get some leather trousers to complete the mid-life crisis ensemble)

Advertisement