Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Audi Q7 2008 Yay or Nay?

• 13-09-2011 11:03am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,459 ✭✭✭✭

Been offered one of these Q7's at a pretty awesome price, It's diesel, beyond that I know diddly squat about them. Any advice much appreciated.

Does anyone know if the 2008 one has cheap tax or are you still up round €1000 for it.

I'm expecting about 28-30mpg, is that the stuff of dreams or should I get that kind or return on the motorway?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cabrwab

Having driven the 4.2 petrol its a nice car to drive for an SUV.

The one i drove had the full S-Line pack(i think).
    And was sitting on very low profile tyres and ride was still comfortable enough.

Obviously the diesel would drink a little less but the tank is still pretty deep to fill either way.

If the price is right i would go for it.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

No cheap tax irregardless of year. Running costs will be high. Not just fuel consumption either.

A lot of road presence for your money though. They suffer truly warp speed depreciation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭coolbeans

Awful things. Needlessly aggressive and large. A real cock's car IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

coolbeans wrote: »
    Needlessly aggressive and large - perfect!

I agree! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

+2

I really dislike them. But if you're getting it for a good price that pita a slightly different spin on things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,459 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

No cheap tax irregardless of year. Running costs will be high. Not just fuel consumption either.

A lot of road presence for your money though. They suffer truly warp speed depreciation.

I'd be intending to put about 30/40k on it before moving it on, That high tax is a killer, just after taxing my car for 12mts for €860 so forking out another €1000 on tax in 1mt isn't appealing to me... at the price i'm getting it though I think I could get 2 years out of it and possibly still get my money back all depending on how much they depreciate over the next 2 years.

Cheapest one on driving.ie is €29,995 wonder what it'll be worth in 2 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

What benefits will the Q7 have over a saloon or even your current car besides road-presence?

I'm not a fan of SUVs but I don't mind someone who buys one if they really need it.

Each to their own!

BTW, what is your current car?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Gophur

Couldn't disagree more.

The Q7 are a magnificent car.

(How is a car "aggressive"?)

What benefits will the Q7 have over a saloon or even your current car besides road-presence?

I'm not a fan of SUVs but I don't mind someone who buys one if they really need it.

Each to their own!

BTW, what is your current car?

Storage space, seem to be renting vans quite a bit, can fit nothing in the back of my current car, the back seats don't fold down it's a is220d.
    I'd love a range rover sport there just a little to rich still if I got one for 15k i'd snap it up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭no1beemerfan

I can't stand them but don't let that put you off! If you like it, it fits your needs and you can afford to buy and run it then go for it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭carsfan

May I ask, what is a good price for an 08 Q7 so much so that you are considering it?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I'd be intending to put about 30/40k on it before moving it on, That high tax is a killer, just after taxing my car for 12mts for €860 so forking out another €1000 on tax in 1mt isn't appealing to me... at the price i'm getting it though I think I could get 2 years out of it and possibly still get my money back all depending on how much they depreciate over the next 2 years.

Cheapest one on driving.ie is €29,995 wonder what it'll be worth in 2 years.

Tax is the least of your worries. A set of rubber will cost c.€900. The depreciation will continue though. Servicing is expensive.

Nobody wants them so if you tried hard I reckon c.€20k will get you an 08. Dealers just cannot move them so the price keeps plummeting.

Shop thoroughly and bargain hard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭wiseguy

I think they look deadly especially in white, they look like stormtroopers then!
    go for it if you can afford it :)

The only thing that would turn me off is the engine on the base models, I am a fan of 4 liter petrol V8s and up and up :P once you get used to the power its hard to drive anything else...

Tho I see there is a petrol 4.2l v8 and diesel 6l v12 versions, I would love to test drive one of these babies

Tax is the elast of your worries. A set of rubber will cost c.€900. The depreciation will continue though. Servicing is expensive.

Nobody wants them so if you tried hard I reckon c.€20k will get you an 08. Dealers just cannot move them so the price keeps plummeting.

Shop thoroughly and bargain hard.

Try to get one for €20k, from a dealer? Not a hope.

wiseguy wrote: »
    I think they look deadly especially in white, they look like stormtroopers then!

:D:D:D

Gophur wrote: »
    Try to get one for €20k, from a dealer? Not a hope.

Try harder, or alternatively try again in 6 months. There's no market, so no real price/value.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 80 ✭✭murphyep

Is the tax on a 2008 jeep €2000?

My friend has a 2009 discovery passenger.The tax on this is 2000 euro.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,510 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Couldn't disagree more.

Beauty is in the eye of the holder and all but... They're an absolutely vile, crass, ugly car that's been designed to appeal to the more upmarket American soccer mom who wants a chromed barge but won't buy an escalade.

I generally don't go in for generalizations of cars/brands and their owners, but I've yet to run into a Q7 owner who isn't the worst kind of ignorant celtic tiger cnut.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

That's such a ridiculous statement!

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭savagecabbages

f1ck the begrudgers i say!

though I've no useful information on the Q7 sorry :D

• Advertisement

That's such a ridiculous statement!

Maybe so, but a lot of people agree with me.
    @savagecabbages, how is not liking an excessively large, brash, wasteful, not particularly good to drive, poorly packaged, soccer mom wagon begrudgery? I don't like them and I've given my reasons. I've also found that when driving in the city you really have to be careful around them (and similar) as drivers are often blissfully unaware of the dimensions of their car especially when little Breifne and Sorcha are screaming in the back. Q7s just seem like the epitome of the selfish status symbol that is the urban 4x4 to me. If something is gonna be that big and ugly there should be a good reason for it otherwise it's a just a massive fail from a motor enthusiast's point of view.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭wiseguy

Beauty is in the eye of the holder and all but... They're an absolutely vile, crass, ugly car that's been designed to appeal to the more upmarket American soccer mom who wants a chromed barge but won't buy an escalade.

I generally don't go in for generalizations of cars/brands and their owners, but I've yet to run into a Q7 owner who isn't the worst kind of ignorant celtic tiger cnut.

Generalize and stereotype much? :rolleyes:
    Since we are at it, you sound like the persons you seem to despise as per your comment, im sure there is a name for that in psychology, seems to go hand in hand with begrudgery.

Have you ever driven an SUV? especially one with large engine??
    BTW I haven't seen any Q7s in US despite spending alot of time there, European cars are fairly expensive compared to local cars and rare.

Jealousy is an awful thing, coupled with begrudgers...

Couldn't disagree more.

How is the Q7 magnificent? That massive front end is very blunt and it's hard to see a pedestrian or cyclist coming off well in the event of a collision. Also, when you see one in your rear view mirror there is no question that it's bulk and design is quite intimidating. It's clearly been designed to be so and I have a big problem with such a design ethos. Why anyone would need to project this onto others is beyond me. The image and what it says as a piece of design and engineering is just something that I would not want to be a part of.

Hmmm...thoughtful argument there.:rolleyes:

That's because I honestly couldn't be arsed wasting half an hour of my life arguing with someone over such a stupid statement.

Don't bother so. Stay out of it if you're not going to back up your stupid statements. .:p

Don't bother so. Stay out of it if you're not going to back up your stupid statements. .:p

My stupid statement when you just called a car, which is bought out of personal taste and the OP is lucky enough to able to run it, a cocks car? Grow up FFS.

It's called debate. You know, someone says something, you either agree or disagree outlining your rationale. Look it up. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Side Show Bob

How is the Q7 magnificent? That massive front end is very blunt and it's hard to see a pedestrian or cyclist coming off well in the event of a collision. Also, when you see one in your rear view mirror there is no question that it's bulk and design is quite intimidating. It's clearly been designed to be so and I have a big problem with such a design ethos. Why anyone would need to project this onto others is beyond me. The image and what it says as a piece of design and engineering is just something that I would not want to be a part of.

coolbeans, it's really not to often that I disagree with you, but they are a most magnificent and fantastic car, and after your returning from Australia where the Q7 would only be a little thing in comparison with some of their utility type SUV, I can only imagine that little Brefine's mam must really of pi$$ed you off this morning on the way in to work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

I don't begrudge Q7 drivers because they can afford one and I can't, I'm disgusted with them because they can clearly afford a nice car but choose to drive the most hideous and tasteless Chelsea tractor on the market instead.

wiseguy wrote: »
    Generalize and stereotype much? :rolleyes:
    Since we are at it, you sound like the persons you seem to despise as per your comment, im sure there is a name for that in psychology, seems to go hand in hand with begrudgery.

If I said all Q7 owners were complete cnuts, that would have been a generalization. I didn't. I did say that every Q7 owner I've ever met is a complete cnut. The sort of individual that will park across a disabled space and start banging on about begrudgery when confronted - this has actually happened to me btw.

The Q7s cause isn't helped for me by one of my friend's wife; who is the worst kind of orla kiely totting parasite, who feels she needs one for the safety of her one year old.

edit: lol at the begrudgers comment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cabrwab

Funny in the states you only see a handful of Q7's, the Q5 is alot more popular.
    Id say these cars after the horrible winters we've had are alot more popular at the moment.

Coolbeans chill man its all good, although as per your previous post, its not really a debate the OP wanted to know what it was like to run and live with one, not how many cyclists you can run over.

If the OP is actually going to run one for lugging stuff around but doesn't need a van but a big car then you a SUV is perfect sometimes.

Then again so is an estate but the OP never said he was getting an great deal on an estate.

I just don't like them for the reasons outlined. I think they're poorly designed, wasteful for the return on investment (although this may not be the case for the OP), and just not a car enthusiast's car. They do nothing to move the game forward in an era when innovation is so crucial, and subjectively speaking they seem to be driven badly and aggressively wherever I encounter them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Side Show Bob

If I said all Q7 owners were complete cnuts, that would have been a generalization. I didn't. I did say that every Q7 owner I've ever met is a complete cnut.

edit: lol at the begrudgers comment.

What a balanced argument and opinion you have set out there, good to know that you carry you're chips evenly on each shoulder,

• Advertisement

Try harder, or alternatively try again in 6 months. There's no market, so no real price/value.

Is that all you can recommend? Doesn't back up your original statement.

Beauty is in the eye of the holder and all but... They're an absolutely vile, crass, ugly car ...........

Blah, blah, blah..........

You state that beauty is in the eye of the beholder, then go on to state that only your opinion is valid! How about stopping and seeing that maybe your opinion isn't true for everyone?

(I didn't bother reading the rest of your post. I doubt I missed much!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

The Q7 is a divisive beast for sure, OP, if you get one only expect half of drivers to let you out at junctions, you have been warned.

Blah, blah, blah..........

You state that beauty is in the eye of the beholder, then go on to state that only your opinion is valid! How about stopping and seeing that maybe your opinion isn't true for everyone?

(I didn't bother reading the rest of your post. I doubt I missed much!)

A lot of strawman arguments and ad hominems here on this thread. Where did I state that "only my opinion is valid"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭staker

You do realise you'll be driving the Lexus when she sees the Q7 OP?:p

• Advertisement

Is that all you can recommend? Doesn't back up your original statement.

Yes it is, and I'm not inclined to argue it further either.

Yes it is, and I'm not inclined to argue it further either.

Good for you. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭savagecabbages

Maybe so, but a lot of people agree with me.
    @savagecabbages, how is not liking an excessively large, brash, wasteful, not particularly good to drive, poorly packaged, soccer mom wagon begrudgery?

Its personal taste when someone decides if they like Q7's or not.
    Its begrudgery when someone says only 'cocks' drive Q7's.

You'd get on well in a debate calling someone a cock.
    I'm not saying I like them myself, but I wouldn't look down on someone for their choice of car, their choice of shoes, etc.

What a total fcuking car crash of a thread! :eek::eek::eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

MCMLXXV wrote: »
    What a total fcuking car crash of a thread! :eek::eek::eek:

Indeed, would be nice if we could get back on topic, whatever that was.I'm struggling to remember

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,352 ✭✭✭Mar4ix

i like too q7, but just can afford only download nice picture..... there is q7 brochure with road taxes ... for diesel one ... http://www.audi.ie/etc/medialib/ngw/ie/product_guides.Par.0056.File.pdf/product_guide_q7_my11.pdf

"soccer mom", "Chelsea tractor"......... pathetic put-downs.

Some people are watching too much Desperate Housewives!

OP - if you like it and the price is right and you can afford to run it, then don't hesitate. They're a nice bus IMO but will be damn expensive for repairs when things start going wrong but seeing as it's '08 and you don't plan on keeping it too long that shouldn't be too much of an issue.

Best of luck with it, enjoy it, and pics or GTFO! ;)

staker wrote: »
    You do realise you'll be driving the Lexus when she sees the Q7 OP?:p

I'd be selling the lexus the Q7 is for myself, she can keep her little car suits her fine:p

I think the idea is going out the window the more I read on this thread. It's all down to the price, It looks like a savage deal but some posters have said if you bargain hard you may take one out of dealer for 20k. I wasn't expecting that, so the plan of selling in 2 years and making a profit seems slim.
    Once I throw in the tax it'll be standing me just under 16k, which looks like it's all it's actually worth privately. I was basing my assumptions of a dealer price of 30K

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭cjmcork

Op, I live in an area where there's a few of these, and I've noticed scorch marks under the exhaust pipes (where it meets the body work) on a few of them - honestly couldn't tell you what year they are, but it's definitely something I'd be looking for (in my innocence, it might have something to do with turbos or something mechanical - but it doesn't look too nice)........I like them, they're a nice bus (though I'd have the Q5)! :D

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement