Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Audi Q7 2008 Yay or Nay?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Gophur

........... some posters have said if you bargain hard you may take one out of dealer for 20k. ..........

Only one poster said that and has nothing to back it up.

You will not get a Q7, from a dealer, for €20k. (If you did, it would have to be a heap)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

A (non cock) friend of mine has one and says it absolutely eats tyres. Also says the X5 is far superior to drive (steering, brakes etc.).
    At that price, its a good deal.
    I wouldn't be put off by what you read here either. If you like it, want it and can afford it, buy it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭coolbeans

I'd be selling the lexus the Q7 is for myself, she can keep her little car suits her fine:p

I think the idea is going out the window the more I read on this thread. It's all down to the price, It looks like a savage deal but some posters have said if you bargain hard you may take one out of dealer for 20k. I wasn't expecting that, so the plan of selling in 2 years and making a profit seems slim.
    Once I throw in the tax it'll be standing me just under 16k, which looks like it's all it's actually worth privately. I was basing my assumptions of a dealer price of 30K

I think if you're going to get one it'd wanna be seriously cheap if part of the plan is to move it on for a small profit or minimal loss in two years. I think the biggest problem with them is the image which is excessively brash and out of keeping with the times we're living in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

coolbeans wrote: »
    Needlessly aggressive and large.

thats actually the one thing I like about them , nice and intimidating to somebody looking out their rear view mirror

How is the Q7 magnificent? That massive front end is very blunt and it's hard to see a pedestrian or cyclist coming off well in the event of a collision. Also, when you see one in your rear view mirror there is no question that it's bulk and design is quite intimidating. It's clearly been designed to be so and I have a big problem with such a design ethos. Why anyone would need to project this onto others is beyond me. The image and what it says as a piece of design and engineering is just something that I would not want to be a part of.

thats actually the best part of it , I love intimidating cars, large cars with road presence , the Q7 gives you that, its the same reason id love a ford f350 or an escalade, now I actually use the 4x4 features and the load space of my pickup for tools and my business , but I think if you can afford it then fair play , lovely car, big body , intimidating, big engined , exactly what a luxury car should be

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 806 ✭✭✭jsd1004

If you could get it for 16keuro it is worth selling it to the UK market for 18k sterling and do a runner. There is very little market here for large engined passenger vehicles once they go over 3 years old.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

thats actually the best part of it , I love intimidating cars, large cars with road presence , the Q7 gives you that, its the same reason id love a ford f350 or an escalade, now I actually use the 4x4 features and the load space of my pickup for tools and my business , but I think if you can afford it then fair play , lovely car, big body , intimidating, big engined , exactly what a luxury car should be

this

also, cocks drive poverty spec A4's with Lidl LED strips on the front, not Q7's :p

jsd1004 wrote: »
    If you could get it for 16keuro it is worth selling it to the UK market for 18k sterling and do a runner.............

Where can you get one for €16k?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭Paarse Krokodil

People with Q7's tend to lose their ability to drive

• Advertisement

I see many of your points and I know that you like your 4x4s but I don't get this intimidation thing. Why do you want to be going around the place intimidaing people?

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭df_h

I see many of your points and I know that you like your 4x4s but I don't get this intimidation thing. Why do you want to be going around the place intimidaing people?

You get respect on the road, otherwise your drive over them :P

you know when somebodys in the right hand lane of the m50 in some little shítbox corsa or something doing 95 odd km/h and they wont move out of the way ?

well I dont , because they always move out of the way , nothing scares the shít out of slow/learner/less confident drivers more than a 4x4 barreling down after them , people just have some psychological thing going on in this country , theyll only move over for 2 types of cars , huge propper 4x4s and garda cars, I dont like mondeos in white with reflective tape on them , so a 4x4 is the next option.

Also intimidating cars just look better , a nice intimidating front end looks great

2008-bmw-x5-m-sport-package-5-498x357.jpg that looks good, also intimidating

250px-Renault_Scenic_front_20080102.jpg this looks like its going to kill itself out of sheer boredom

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭JCDUB

thats actually the one thing I like about them , nice and intimidating to somebody looking out their rear view mirror
    thats actually the best part of it , I love intimidating cars
    nothing scares the shít out of slow/learner/less confident drivers more than a 4x4 barreling down after them

Jebus wept :rolleyes::rolleyes:

You're the exact type of arrogant driver of these cars that people are referring to earlier in the thread.

That is the sort of threatening and rude driving that causes accidents. Yours will come, sooner that you think.

On topic, I don't really mind them, whatever floats your boat I suppose. If the OP gets it for a good price, why not? He was takling about putting tools and things in the back. If a tradesman pulled up to my house to do a job in one of those I'd think I was being robbed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

Fair play Drunkmonkey I would love one of them. Dont mind all the begrudgers here they are only jealous. Go way and get it.

JCDUB wrote: »
    Jebus wept :rolleyes::rolleyes:

You're the exact type of arrogant driver of these cars that people are referring to earlier in the thread.

That is the sort of threatening and rude driving that causes accidents. Yours will come, sooner that you think.

On topic, I don't really mind them, whatever floats your boat I suppose. If the OP gets it for a good price, why not? He was takling about putting tools and things in the back. If a tradesman pulled up to my house to do a job in one of those I'd think I was being robbed.

Im by no means an arrogant driver, If you want arrogant drivers look to the people in tiny hatchbacks who just jam on outside schools and hold you up picking up their kids , the lad in a mid range diesel saloon who thinks he owns the road and indicators dont matter or the hordes of people too distracted by their kids in mpvs to bother having any concern for other road users changing lanes

If using the overtaking lane on a DC/motorway properly and expecting it not to be clogged by some slow driver is arrogant well then im sorry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

If you want arrogant drivers look to the people in tiny hatchbacks who just jam on outside schools and hold you up picking up their kids

That seems to be the main use for Q7s in Ireland. They are brilliant for this, since you can mount high kerbs and mash grassy strips into mud while doing it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭JCDUB

Im by no means an arrogant driver, If you want arrogant drivers look to the people in tiny hatchbacks who just jam on outside schools and hold you up picking up their kids , the lad in a mid range diesel saloon who thinks he owns the road and indicators dont matter or the hordes of people too distracted by their kids in mpvs to bother having any concern for other road users changing lanes

If using the overtaking lane on a DC/motorway properly and expecting it not to be clogged by some slow driver is arrogant well then im sorry.

Read the three posts I quoted. The tone is extrememly arrogant. If you can't see this you are more arrogant than I thought.

Now, back on topic, horses for courses, if somebody likes a car/SUV/van/whatever, they should go for it, especially if it comes up at the right price.

Personally I think they are a very nice machine, then again I like all the big SUV's. Big cars, big engines, comfort, road presence and they look good imo.

Its also a nice way of sticking two fingers up to "green" minded people :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭veetwin

OP if you like it go for it and fcuk the begrudgers. Just be aware though that tax will be expensive (€1000 I think, but it could be 2). It devours tyres unlike any other SUV. Budget €1000 for replacements.

Servicing will be expensive, consumables will be more expensive than most people are used to. Try booking one in for a service to include stuff like brake pads etc and see how much they quote. Don't expect much more than 25mpg (less for city driving) average so you will be spending plenty of time on the forecourt watching that dial go into three figures every time you fill up. I know someone that had one and while they liked it they couldn't live with the running costs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

OP is it passenger or commercial?

What's the mileage and colour?

Either way if I had 16k I'd snap the hand off them as long as it's not something that was used commercially with massive mileage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭kirving

From an engineering perspective, I love the Q7. They're massive, arrogant, aggressive, luxurious. Pretty much everything you could want! I prefer the S8, however, because they're so much rarer.

As a cyclist, no, I wouldn't want to be hit by one, so I stay well away from them and other large SUV's. Worst drivers in my opinion(cycling), are mothers who just dump their Trajets, Scenics and Santa Fe's and the like.

You can't turn down the Q7 OP!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭E39MSport

cadaliac wrote: »
    A (non cock) friend of mine has one and says it absolutely eats tyres. Also says the X5 is far superior to drive (steering, brakes etc.).
    At that price, its a good deal.
    I wouldn't be put off by what you read here either. If you like it, want it and can afford it, buy it.

Sounds painful

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

E39MSport wrote: »
    Sounds painful

Woman maybe? :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭Zimmerframe

I say go for it OP if you got the dosh, and are prepared for the running costs.
    I assume you are talking about a V6 3.0.
    I'm basing my comments on my view that the Q7 is pretty much a posher sister of the Vw Touareg of which I've had a couple, albeit I never had anything other than a "drive" in a Q7.
    I'm not sure of the emissions level, but methinks it's not good, so wouldn't surprise me if the tax was €2100 for a passenger version.
    You won't get much change out of a grand for a set of good tyres.
    Your tyres will last anywhere between 9000 miles and 25,000 (depending on the tyre you choose).
    I would say overall fuel economy of 25 mpg would be the order of the day.
    Expect €130 -€140 per fill up if the tank is low.
    Brake pads/discs not cheap either.

After all the bad news, I would also say it's not much worse to run than most other comparable 4x4s and imho a lot better to drive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

My Opinion.

Sold one into the trade recently, got well over 30k for it. 08 with around 50k km on the clock.

Anything less than 30k from a dealer with a warranty, serviced, taxed and decent tyres is a bargain.

In saying that.............they're hideous to drive. Rolls like a boat in the Irish sea around corners, put your foot to the floor, the gearbox will kickdown, make loads of noise and then.......nothing. For a diesel, they're actually quite thirsty, I think 28mpg is optimistic. You'll go through a set of tyres every 15k, and a full set is at least a grand.

And lastly, in every way shape or form, the X5 beats it.

OP, if your buying this to try and sell it on in a few years time with the hope of not losing any money, think again. There is no barrier that stops these things losing money.

As for some of the comments on this thread, I doubt half of the contributors have even sat inside a Q7, never mind drive one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭ofcork

I see the price of the 6 lire has dropped,they were 200k a few years ago,only beaten by the porsche cayenne turbo at 211k!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭Mr.Boots

Horible Horible things.

The type of thing i would expect Jordan to have....in white.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,459 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

My Opinion.

Sold one into the trade recently, got well over 30k for it. 08 with around 50k km on the clock.

Anything less than 30k from a dealer with a warranty, serviced, taxed and decent tyres is a bargain.

In saying that.............they're hideous to drive. Rolls like a boat in the Irish sea around corners, put your foot to the floor, the gearbox will kickdown, make loads of noise and then.......nothing. For a diesel, they're actually quite thirsty, I think 28mpg is optimistic. You'll go through a set of tyres every 15k, and a full set is at least a grand.

OP, if your buying this to try and sell it on in a few years time with the hope of not losing any money, think again. There is no barrier that stops these things losing money.

As for some of the comments on this thread, I doubt half of the contributors have even sat inside a Q7, never mind drive one.

Thanks for that, I'm not gone on the x5, considering everything that's been posted I think i'll pass it up and bide my time until the Range Rover sport comes into the right money bracket.
    Now off to rent a van again tomorrow :o

Just a side note to all the begrudgers ye had no influence on my decision, I couldn't case less if the chap in the micra is cussing at me for my excess. I've worked for it and i'll drive whatever I want. I missed out on the celtic tiger, it doesn't mean I won't enjoy myself while waiting for the next one.

As Enda says, spend, spend, spend. It's good for the Economy.

My Opinion.

Thanks for that, I'm not gone on the x5, considering everything that's been posted I think i'll pass it up and bide my time until the Range Rover sport comes into the right money bracket.
    Now off to rent a van again tomorrow :o

Just a side note to all the begrudgers ye had no influence on my decision, I couldn't case less if the chap in the micra is cussing at me for my excess. I've worked for it and i'll drive whatever I want. I missed out on the celtic tiger, it doesn't mean I won't enjoy myself while waiting for the next one.

As Enda says, spend, spend, spend. It's good for the Economy.

Do you really think that the posts against the Q7were driven by begrudgery? Really?

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭savagecabbages

The posts against people who drive them certainly were, posts against the actual vehicle were fair and square.

• Advertisement

The posts against people who drive them certainly were, posts against the actual vehicle were fair and square.

Does not compute. I don't like Q7s cos Im jealous. That's your position?

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Christ0pher

I know someone who bought an s-line version right before the recession. He paid close to 100k for it I think. It's now worth about 40k.

That's depreciation of about 55k in 3 years ! That's €50 per day or €1,500 per month. That's not including insurance, fuel, tax, servicing ! THINK what you could do with 1,500 per month ! The fools who buy these ridiculous cars in the belief that it's worth it are really lacking in the brain cell dept.

Even if I won €1 million quid, I wouldn't think of driving something that looses 1500 a month just by sitting in your driveway! Craziness :rolleyes:

Begrudgery is an actual word with a meaning, it doesn't just mean hating things or people for any reason.

Yes, I hate off-roaders that never go off-road, and I think people who pay over the odds for a machine they don't need to do a job a car does better are a bit dim. No, that is not begrudgery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭lomb

I know someone who bought an s-line version right before the recession. He paid close to 100k for it I think. It's now worth about 40k.

That's depreciation of about 55k in 3 years ! That's €50 per day or €1,500 per month. That's not including insurance, fuel, tax, servicing ! THINK what you could do with 1,500 per month ! The fools who buy these ridiculous cars in the belief that it's worth it are really lacking in the brain cell dept.

Even if I won €1 million quid, I wouldn't think of driving something that looses 1500 a month just by sitting in your driveway! Craziness :rolleyes:

The Q7 is a fine looking machine imho but then again I like Audis. I think the 4.2tdi is the pick of them, 200 horsepower doesnt sound like alot to move something that big.
    Anyway thats just standard depreciation, most cars retain around 40%-45% at 3 years. Sure its 55k gone in 3 years but thats what he should have expected the day he took delivery of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,309 ✭✭✭VolvoMan

That's such a ridiculous statement!
    Jealousy is an awful thing, coupled with begrudgers...

Ah... well done LM!

You've scored a good few brownie points with the usual suspects who mount their high horses in threads like these.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

I like the look of them, and have had a small spin in the 3.0 diesel. If, like the OP, I got the chance of one at a good price I'd give it some consideration, but having read some of the posts here about running costs, I'd look at an XC90 or an E70 X5 (SWMBO insists on getting a 7-seater). Depreciation wouldn't be as bad as buying one new, but a full service history would be mandatory!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭ofcork

Plus the fact they were overpriced at the time,now that new prices have come down second hand will drop even more.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

At least in a Q7 you can do this in style:

jerk-parking.jpg

(I jest):cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

Yes, I hate off-roaders that never go off-road, and I think people who pay over the odds for a machine they don't need to do a job a car does better are a bit dim. No, that is not begrudgery.

That's just silly. They have more than one purpose. Do you "hate" sports cars that never see a racetrack? Or people carriers that don't have seven people in them?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

I think everyone is jumping past the first few posts and missing the point.

THE OP IS BUYING IT BECAUSE HE IS GETTING IT VERY VERY CHEAP..;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭✭heate

Absurdum wrote: »
    That's just silly. They have more than one purpose. Do you "hate" sports cars that never see a racetrack? Or people carriers that don't have seven people in them?

Have to agree here - most peoples cars never see the use they were intended for. Big diesels being used around town as opposed to high speeds on the open road.
    Ferrari's Porsches and M cars used for pottering around town etc.
    No different to a 4x4 being used for the school run - and a sports car will belch out just as much fumes using just as much fuel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

Well of course it's craziness now looking back on it, but for the chap who bought before the recession, from his point of view he clearly didn't expect such savage depreciation when he bought it back in 07 or whatever...

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Help2

Been offered one of these Q7's at a pretty awesome price, It's diesel, beyond that I know diddly squat about them. Any advice much appreciated.

Does anyone know if the 2008 one has cheap tax or are you still up round €1000 for it.

I'm expecting about 28-30mpg, is that the stuff of dreams or should I get that kind or return on the motorway?

This site is pretty good for car reviews...

http://www.parkers.co.uk/cars/reviews/audi/q7-2006.aspx

Depends which model and engine for mpg figures.....

http://www.parkers.co.uk/cars/specs/summary.aspx?model=1453&page=3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭Zimmerframe

166man wrote: »
    Well of course it's craziness now looking back on it, but for the chap who bought before the recession, from his point of view he clearly didn't expect such savage depreciation when he bought it back in 07 or whatever...

+1
    He should have had a bit o sense and put his money down as a deposit on a fine big house, instead of wasting money on one of them big cars with big wheels and he not even having a big field to drive it in. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,459 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Do you really think that the posts against the Q7were driven by begrudgery? Really?

No, lol, this thread has brought them all out. Don't own a Q7 so didn't take anything personally.

I can't believe begrudgery even came up in the thread, it's funny. I'd like to thank everyone for their 2cent, still laughing:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Tea 1000

One thing that annoys me about Q7 discussions is the constant drivel about the X5 being much better to drive. Sure it is, in the same way that scary spice is a much better singer than posh spice.
    The X5 does NOT drive like a 5 series, despite what the auto journalists are paid by BMW to convince you! You don't buy one of these things to attack corners.
    Go for the Q7 if you like, it's comfortable, spacious and decently put together. Don't mind the grumpy people who only think about depreciation and emissions!

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭THall04

I'd be selling the lexus the Q7 is for myself, she can keep her little car suits her fine:p

I think the idea is going out the window the more I read on this thread. It's all down to the price, It looks like a savage deal but some posters have said if you bargain hard you may take one out of dealer for 20k. I wasn't expecting that, so the plan of selling in 2 years and making a profit seems slim.
    Once I throw in the tax it'll be standing me just under 16k, which looks like it's all it's actually worth privately. I was basing my assumptions of a dealer price of 30K

16K.......for a 3 year old Audi Q7????
    If I was sure it was a genuine car..not crashed...not stolen....not a commercial (i.e a van )...then I might take a chance , but it seems too good to be true.

If you want a nice car(that dosen't need to drive up a muddy field) , but need some extra storage space... , then buy a BMW5 series tourer or Merc E-class estate........otherwise keep the Lexus and buy an old Citreon Berlingo van

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

You'll get no more than 23mpg, tires get eaten alive every 8,000 miles (if your lucky), and it's €146 to fill the tank.

If you can manage to live with all that it's a superb machine to own, having extensively tested the Cayenne, RR sport, XDrive X5, and Lexus the Audi interior and design is superior to everything else out there. IMO it's a far better drive as well, I found the X5 to be horribly sloppy.

All this comment about Cocks driving them is very childish, it's a car, it just a loan from a bank to buy something you like the look of or have always wanted to own. No different to a nice house, a fancy watch or a season ticket for your favourite football club. The reason we work is to be able to do these things that we are into, its your money, you can spend it however you like, if people hate someone for that reason and call you a cock etc, they are living very sad lives.

Anyway, if you want one, like it and can afford it OP then go for it, lifes too short.

What is the purpose of the Q7? I don't actually agree with coolbeans that it's driven entirely by aggressive cocks, the non-commercialised ones seem to be driven mostly by women with kids on the school run.

I think someone has convinced these people that a 3 tonne SUV which is taller than they are is safer than a regular car.

Every car bought "before the recession" has depreciated.

2008 BMW 520d are now worth 50% of what they cost, new, or less.

As for your derision for the buyer of the Q7? The same derision must be directed at every buyer of S-class Mercs, high end Lexus and BMW 7 series, all of which will have taken the same, or bigger hit as the Q7.

Here's hoping you never win that €1 million quid [sic], you sound like it would only do you harm.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement