Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Love "White Tiger by Aravind Adiga", recommend like?

Options
  • 13-09-2011 11:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭

Haven't been able to get stuck into a novel in years. Just the read the "White Tiger" and loved it. Previously read , a few years back "The God of small things- A. Roy"

So would like to read more in this line, non- West-European, with plenty of social, political colour. I think India, China maybe Africa .

We're not suffering, only complaining 😞

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Kinski

You could read Rushdie, VS Naipaul, JM Coetzee...

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭randomguy

A Fine Balance - Rohington Mistry - stunningly good book set in India
    The Siege of Krishnapur - JG Farrell (good on Colonialism)
    The Feast of the Goat - Vargas Llhosa (Dominican Republic)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭dohouch

randomguy wrote: »
    A Fine Balance - Rohington Mistry - stunningly good book set in India
    The Siege of Krishnapur - JG Farrell (good on Colonialism)
    The Feast of the Goat - Vargas Llhosa (Dominican Republic)

Have read quite a few of Vargas Llhosa, is "The feast of the Goat" the one about the assassination of the dictator? The 3 guys in the car waiting for him to show up.

There is one maybe "Death" or maybe "Blood in the Andes" which is blood-curdling about I thing "Sendero Luminosa"

Will check up on "The Siege of Krishnapur - JG Farrell (good on Colonialism)"

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭randomguy

dohouch wrote: »
    Have read quite a few of Vargas Llhosa, is "The feast of the Goat" the one about the assassination of the dictator? The 3 guys in the car waiting for him to show up.

Yep, that's the one. I suggested it because it mixes the social and political really well. Am I on the right track of what you are looking for.

The other novels that come to mind, when thinking of decent middle-of-the-road English-language world literature:
    Midnight's Children (Rushdie) -
    A Suitable Boy (Seth) - long but light
    (But A Fine Balance is better than either, and way better than White Tiger, once you get into it). And The Siege of Krishnapur is subtely brilliant.

Louis de Berniere's Latin American Trilogy and Birds Without Wings (Turkey) both combine the political and social really well, and are very funny to boot, especially the Latin American trilogy.
    Have you tried A Hundred Years of Solitude or Love in the Time of Cholera - they also fit the bill of what you are looking for.

The Famished Road (Ben Okri) might be a bit too heavy-going for most, but is worth trying.
    Much more accessible is Barbara Kingsolver's The Poisonwood Bible.

There are some ideas anyway...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭dohouch

@randomguy

Thanks for your time,
    The Poisonwood Bible.- enjoyed that one, 5 years ago or so.

Love in the Time of Cholera- Read that one.

Louis de Berniere's (Captain Corellis mandolin? )Latin American trilogy. that's news to me will check it out and this Birds Without Wings (Turkey) also.

The Siege of Krishnapur - have it on order should be picking it up tomorrow, this title is familiar , must be a bit of a classic.

These two, Midnight's Children (Rushdie) - A Suitable Boy (Seth) think I may have tried both, a good while back, and didn't manage to get stuck in.

it's all good and thanks again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭closifer

I also really enjoyed The White Tiger. I would recommend you check out Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie. She is a Nigerian author and her tow novels Purple Hibiscus and Half of a Yellow Sun are really great reads.

Advertisement