Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC Usage

• 13-09-2011 11:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭

Hi. I got the letter a few weeks back announcing the the upcoming availability of two new tv channels and and increase in the usage cap to 500GB.
    I was just on their page and for the 50Mb they still advertise usage as: 250GB, same usage as eircom’s 24Mb Ultimate.
    I'm confused and would welcome some de-confusing. Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

They haven't updated their web page yet, obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Vunderground

That's a bit shoddy isn't it?
    Thanks for the reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭pelluci

...And just when you thought things were getting clearer:

Taken from the Acceptable Usage Policy

For customers who signed up to UPC Broadband service from July 2011, the data transfer allowance is:
    • 500GB for Fibre Power Broadband 12Mb, 25Mb, 50Mb and 100Mb users
    For all other customers who have signed up to UPC Broadband service prior to July 2011, the data transfer allowances for the various packages are:
    • 15GB for Fibre Power Broadband 12Mb users (Formerly Fibre Power Broadband 1Mb),
    • 120GB for Fibre Power Broadband 12Mb, 20Mb, (Formerly Fibre Power Broadband 10Mb) and 25Mb (Formerly Fibre Power Broadband 15Mb) users,
    • 250GB for Fibre Power Broadband 20Mb, 25Mb, 30Mb and 50Mb users and
    • 500GB for Fibre Power Broadband 100Mb users. For queries regarding our Acceptable Usage Policy contact us by email aup@upc.ie

My headache just came back :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

That's a bit shoddy isn't it?
    Thanks for the reply.

I think if you were a mobile BB or fixed DSL user you wouldn't care....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭wingnut32

Im new to UPC, I got the 100mb in late last month, is there any way to tell what you have used in the month?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 297 ✭✭iMADEtheBBC

wingnut32 wrote: »
    Im new to UPC, I got the 100mb in late last month, is there any way to tell what you have used in the month?

No. UPC refuse to provide this information on their site or on the telephone.

What you can do is send an email to aup@upc.ie

I did it every day for a while. Just to make sure... if they didn't want to make it easy for the customer I sure as hell wasn't going to make it easy for them.

I find this very good for monitoring usage:

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/tbbmeter.html

Not great if you aren't really sure what the limit is though :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

pelluci wrote: »

For customers who signed up to UPC Broadband service from July 2011, the data transfer allowance is:
    Oh for goodness sake UPC, for once would you treat existing customers half as well as new customers. This happens over and over again.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭johntommy

pelluci wrote: »

• 500GB for Fibre Power Broadband 12Mb, 25Mb, 50Mb and 100Mb users
    For all other customers who have signed up to UPC Broadband service prior to July 2011, the data transfer allowances for the various packages are:
    • 15GB for Fibre Power Broadband 12Mb users (Formerly Fibre Power Broadband 1Mb),
    • 120GB for Fibre Power Broadband 12Mb, 20Mb, (Formerly Fibre Power Broadband 10Mb) and 25Mb (Formerly Fibre Power Broadband 15Mb) users,
    • 250GB for Fibre Power Broadband 20Mb, 25Mb, 30Mb and 50Mb users and
    • 500GB for Fibre Power Broadband 100Mb users. For queries regarding our Acceptable Usage Policy contact us by email aup@upc.ie
    I received a letter from them on 22nd July 2011, stating that from 5th Sept 2011 my monthly download limit will increase from 250GB to 500GB.
    I was on 20GB package at that time and this was increased to 25GB on 22nd August.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

the other question, is what about the old customers who complained about not getting the new bundle deals that new customers were getting and were moved to the new bundles by the customer loyalty scheme? does new bundle package equal new customer in the eyes of UPC billing?

i.e. me. :)

and many others thanks to the threads in this forum about it.

Just rang them and spoke to accounts and customer loyalty who transferred me to customer services where two managers confirmed that the allowance is 500GB for everyone.

They then thanked me for pointing out the contradictory information on their website and said they would look into it 'right away'.

Initially they were even more confused than me, but ended ended up using the word 'definitely' several times regarding the upgrade to 500GB for ALL customers regardless of when they signed up.

I posted my concerns here first cos ringing them is such a head wrecking experience, but all's well that ends well.

it actually just occurred to me that being on 100mbps means i already get 500gb allowance per month. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

vibe666 wrote: »
    it actually just occurred to me that being on 100mbps means i already get 500gb allowance per month. :)

Yup, t'was always 500GB. Hope it increases at some stage though. :pac:

roast wrote: »
    Yup, t'was always 500GB. Hope it increases at some stage though. :pac:
    the funny thing is, when i had 30mbps and 250gb per month, i always made sure i made the most of it and usually ended up having to hold back the last few days of the month to stay within the 250gb, but since i moved to 100mbps and it's 500gb, i hardly even check my usage at all now and it's actually gone down if anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Sudsy86

If i give you a gun and ask you to shoot at a tin can, you will concentrate to hit it...

If i give you a gun and ask you to shoot at the side of a barn, you tend to make less of an effort...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,127 ✭✭✭✭Leeg17

I did it every day for a while. Just to make sure... if they didn't want to make it easy for the customer I sure as hell wasn't going to make it easy for them.

Love it! Haha.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

Just rang them and spoke to accounts and customer loyalty who transferred me to customer services where two managers confirmed that the allowance is 500GB for everyone.

They then thanked me for pointing out the contradictory information on their website and said they would look into it 'right away'.

Initially they were even more confused than me, but ended ended up using the word 'definitely' several times regarding the upgrade to 500GB for ALL customers regardless of when they signed up.

I posted my concerns here first cos ringing them is such a head wrecking experience, but all's well that ends well.

Nice! Full 1080P movies FTW.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭tonyheaney

<post removed>

Mod note: Don't post the same message in multiple threads. Leave it in one place only.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 7golfer

yes, i gota letter saying i exceeded the limit, can i monitor it myself, or can they tell me my daily usage??

• Advertisement

7golfer wrote: »
    yes, i gota letter saying i exceeded the limit, can i monitor it myself, or can they tell me my daily usage??

the first lady i spoke to says there in the process of getting a tracker for both phone and internet but the person i talked to in January sent me an email showing what i had downloaded so they both contradicted each other.

I basically have a word document with what shows i download and how big they are i tally them up at the end of the month and i know what i have actually downloaded.

tonyheaney wrote: »
    the first lady i spoke to says there in the process of getting a tracker for both phone and internet but the person i talked to in January sent me an email showing what i had downloaded so they both contradicted each other.

I basically have a word document with what shows i download and how big they are i tally them up at the end of the month and i know what i have actually downloaded.
    unless you only a single computer with a bandwidth monitor on it, or (if you have multiple devices connecting) you have a router that logs usage on an ongoing basis, a list of what shows you download will only show half the picture as far as your usage goes and not even half if you do anything on the internet other than download shows that you're keeping a list of.

UPC usage is judged on data uploaded as well as downloaded and will measure any and all web usage, not just shows you download.

you mentioned getting a letter saying you downloaded over 600gb last month, but that you didn't (and couldn't have). that doesn't mean that nobody else didn't, so you may want to consider beefing up (or at least changing) your wireless security, it's possible someone else was using your connection without your knowledge, assuming that the letter wasn't a clerical mistake.

as for an official UPC usage meter, don't hold your breath, they've been saying that since (at least, if not earlier) 2008 and there's no sign of it yet.

unless you only a single computer with a bandwidth monitor on it, or (if you have multiple devices connecting) you have a router that logs usage on an ongoing basis, a list of what shows you download will only show half the picture as far as your usage goes and not even half if you do anything on the internet other than download shows that you're keeping a list of.

UPC usage is judged on data uploaded as well as downloaded and will measure any and all web usage, not just shows you download.

you mentioned getting a letter saying you downloaded over 600gb last month, but that you didn't (and couldn't have). that doesn't mean that nobody else didn't, so you may want to consider beefing up (or at least changing) your wireless security, it's possible someone else was using your connection without your knowledge, assuming that the letter wasn't a clerical mistake.

as for an official UPC usage meter, don't hold your breath, they've been saying that since (at least, if not earlier) 2008 and there's no sign of it yet.

they sent the letter telling me i overused but then i called two people on UPC and both said my usage wasn't bad and no red flags were on my name

tonyheaney wrote: »
    they sent the letter telling me i overused but then i called two people on UPC and both said my usage wasn't bad and no red flags were on my name
    yes, i read your other post about it. there's usually an email address at the bottom of the UPC letter to contact with any queries, it might be worth mailing them just to be sure. i think it's aup@upc.ie

yes, i read your other post about it. there's usually an email address at the bottom of the UPC letter to contact with any queries, it might be worth mailing them just to be sure. i think it's aup@upc.ie

I did that the OP here was an edited version of the emal

Advertisement