Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

bank statements as proof of purchase!?

Options
  • 13-09-2011 12:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭

Hi! just looking for a bit of advice on this,its a bit of a long story so ill try keep it short!

I bought my other half a pair of VERY expensive ear phones at the end of January this year for his birthday. They worked fine and everything was grand with them. Then recently the sound has started to crackle in one ear and has now completely stopped. He has been onto the manufacturer as they are covered by a 2 yr warranty with them. They have told him he has two options. the first to go back to the retailer and see if he can get a replacement from them.Or he can send them back to the manufacturer and they will replace them for him. all good so far, but the problem is we do not have the original till receipt from the shop i bought them in. I paid for them with my visa card and can get a copy of the transaction from them but the manufacturer has said that they will not accept bank statements as proof of purchase.

I guess what i want to know now is, firstly have we any chance if we go back to the retailer with a copy of the visa statement as proof of purchase?

And secondly are the manufacturers correct in saying the will not accpet visa statements as proof of purchase?

If they were just your average ear phones i would just let it go and buy a new pair but these are supposed to be top of the range and breaking 8 months with very little use just seems wrong to me especially for the price i paid!

any advice would be appreciated!Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,227 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Your bank or visa statement won't show what you bought just that you bought something at a store, it won't say you bought headphones.
    You can ask the store for the reprint of the original receipt or to make you a proof of purchase on headed paper with a store stamp.
    The quickest way is to deal with the manufacturer, as it cuts out the store and the distributor who will take a little longer.
    If you sending it off may sure and register it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Firstly you have no contract with the manufacturer so you do not have to deal with them and can deal exclusively with the store. you need a proof of purchase so a reprint of the original receipt from the store is the way to go but the store might not be able to do this.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Here's a snippet from the NCA website
    Q9. I have a faulty product but have lost my receipt. Do I have any rights?

A business is entitled to ask for proof of purchase before providing redress. The onus is on the consumer to establish when and where the item was purchased. This is why it is so important to keep your receipts.

Cheque stubs, credit card statements and bank statements can also be accepted as proof of purchase.

Pull out your copy of the credit card statement and head into the shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I have heard argos will check CC details if you have no receipt. Maybe others do too.

This is one reason I like to buy online, I have the receipt in email history. Dunno if your earphones are Shures? I had to send them my paypal receipt and got a brand new packaged set sent by courier at their expense.

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭itsallaboutme!!

Thanks for all the replies guys!

will try the shop and the credit card statement before we get back to the manufacturer.if they cant do anything hopefully they will be able to give us a reprint of the original recepit as the manufacturer say they wont accept bank statements:rolleyes:

Rubadub they are those monster pro beats ear phones and were 140e:o like i was saying if they had been your average 20e ear phones i wouldnt bother but when i pay out that much for something id expect it to last longer than 8months:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

As an aside to this topic, I would avoid those brands of headphones due to the fact that for most of them, it's a serious matter of style over substance.

Essentially you're paying for the brand and the fancy paint. I'm not saying this in relation to the likelihood of encountering a fault but more so the quality of sound and durability of the set.

If you want a good set and for that price, look into the likes of Sennheiser, Technics, Pioneers, Bose, Bowers & Wilkins etc. :)

Advertisement