Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Light buggy suitable for carrying on a bike

• 13-09-2011 12:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭

Got a situation where I need a very light folding buggy/stroller that can be carried easily on a bike (slung over a shoulder/handlebar/etc.).

Has anyone any suggestions for a suitable buggy? Has anyone come up against this issue before?

The journey for the child is: home->bike->buggy->bike->home so the buggy needs to go with the bike at the beginning and the end of the journey.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Your requirement sounds a bit nuts, but...

http://maclaren-volo.blogspot.com/

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

check_six wrote: »
    The journey for the child is: home->bike->buggy->bike->home so the buggy needs to go with the bike at the beginning and the end of the journey.

What's the buggy needed for in the middle?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

The buggy bit is for moving the kid between drop off in the morning and pick up in the afternoon by bike. The buggy driver will not be using a bike.

Yes it is complicated, and maybe this isn't the best route to take, but after thinking for literally *some* minutes... I thought this might work if I could find a little enough buggy.

Any less unhinged ideas would be nice too. The kid is a little small for a forced march along the buggy route and a little big to carry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,805 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

I have this as my daughter's stroller.

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/accessories/trailer/product/cougar-ii-9822

It's very expensive, but it does them from newborn to five, and it's very weatherproof, especially if you get the extra rain cover. It's a very manoeuvrable stroller, although it is a little wide.

I like it a lot anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 550 ✭✭✭zinzan

Cargo bike with room for a normal 'Umbrella' type buggy?

Cargo Bike

Not a cheap solution though!

zinzan wrote: »
    Cargo bike with room for a normal 'Umbrella' type buggy?

Cargo Bike

Not a cheap solution though!

The Babboe Big weighs 60kg. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭mrsFitz

try the buggy carrier
    works with umbrella style buggies up to 7 kg http://dutchbikeshop.ie/steco-buggy-mee-2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,805 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

This is my other trailer. Cheap-ish and very useful for shopping and other hauling. You'll get any buggy suitable for public transport into it, I'd say.

www.bikehod.com

Ok, so after weighing up the alternatives suggested, I bit the bullet and got a bike trailer that converts into a buggy. I couldn't afford one of the 'proper' trailers like the Chariot suggested, but instead opted for the budget alternative which I purchased from a major multiple who has shops in both UK and Ireland and whose name may begin with 'H'.

I was slightly reluctant to go there as I would prefer to go to a LBS, but the budget dictated the purchase.

So the verdict... The trailer is brilliant, the wee lad loves it and it's very easy to pull along. It's weather proof and there is room to throw in extra stuff. It's very easy to attach and, most importantly, feels secure. It's highly visible, and mainly gets amazed stares as we roll along. I'm sure I've seen a few other types of trailers, and bakfiets, and whatnot in my area so it can't be that unusual, but there you go.

It's not great as a buggy, though. It's highly manoueverable and light, but a bit wide, and a little bit unbalanced when the buggy wheel is on. Also, there is no handbrake, but there is a wrist strap to make up for this. As there is only a shortish journey in buggy mode these things are not a drawback.

Now for the big question, I've been using a hardtail mtb as a tractor bike for the trailer, could I use a road bike instead? Bearing in mind that the road bike has a carbon fibre seatstay and some kind of dread warning (in German!) on the chainstay. Also, the trailer uses a link to the bike which attaches at the drop out and is held on by the wheel nut/qr spindle.

Essentially, does anyone else use a road bike as a tractor?

• Advertisement

check_six wrote: »
    Essentially, does anyone else use a road bike as a tractor?

Yes, though not a carbon fibre one. I'd guess it would be fine if it's attached to the dropouts rather than one of the frame tubes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

And Halfords have a spare mount point for about a tenner so you can set up either bike...

cdaly_ wrote: »
    And Halfords have a spare mount point for about a tenner so you can set up either bike...

Thanks for the feedback. Halfords, eh? I must look them up... ;)

Advertisement