Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fitting Glass (Internal Door)

• 13-09-2011 12:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭

I have a broken pane of glass in one of the internal doors in the house.

I assume you need something to bed the new pane of glass onto, to prevent vibration / rattling if someone bangs the door closed. What should I use ? Clear mastic ? Putty ?

- Thanks, in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

Use putty, if you use mastic or silicon it is verry difficult to remove if it happens again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭martinn123

Whats holding in the glass you broke, or whats left of it.
    If its a timber door, there may be timber slips around the 4 sides, if these come out, you can reuse them, probably with small nails, if its putty on the glass at present, clean off with a knife, and buy some new putty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

It should still be bedded into putty even if it has timber stops.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Poulgorm

aujopimur wrote: »
    It should still be bedded into putty even if it has timber stops.

Thanks everyone: it has timber stops. That plus putty will do the job. Thanks again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭Stove Fan

Poulgorm wrote: »
    Thanks everyone: it has timber stops. That plus putty will do the job. Thanks again.

Hi, Depending on the glass size you would need safety glass for doors. Either toughened or laminated. If a multipane door with small panes it should be 6mm thick. These regs are for the UK but I would be sure it's the same here. Your glass merchant should know the regs if you say it's for a door:)

If toughened or ordinary 6mm glass putty is fine:) If your door is stained use brown putty.

If laminated glass use glazing silicone as linseed oil putty seeps inbetween the 2 panes and marks the glass between the two pieces.

Stove Fan:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Poulgorm

Stove Fan wrote: »
    Hi, Depending on the glass size you would need safety glass for doors. Either toughened or laminated. If a multipane door with small panes it should be 6mm thick. These regs are for the UK but I would be sure it's the same here. Your glass merchant should know the regs if you say it's for a door:)

If toughened or ordinary 6mm glass putty is fine:) If your door is stained use brown putty.

If laminated glass use glazing silicone as linseed oil putty seeps inbetween the 2 panes and marks the glass between the two pieces.

Stove Fan:D

It's a Georgian type door, so 6mm thick glass should be ok for the small panes.

Good info in your contribution. Thanks

Advertisement