Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canada - Anyone got any helpful job contacts?

Options
  • 13-09-2011 12:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭

Do you work in a particular industry and your willing to give a name or contact info to help people find a good job? or you would like to find a job you are interested in? Post below whatever your hoping to find and hopefully someone will post a reply to help all of us in the same situation.

Not sure if anyone has tried to do a thread like this before but I think it's a fairly good idea as most of us are going over to Canada with no contacts and find it very hard to get settled in and set up.

I myself would love to have contacts in Canada for that when I land over there I may just be able to get myself a job in an area related to my degree.

I have just completed a 4year honours degree in Marketing and would love to hear from people who are in canada at the moment working in a job related to this and may have contacts for me to get in touch with.

Hope you guys think this is a good thread :-)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,298 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

i'll add my 2 cents

Work in I.T. in London, Ontario for TD. 2 hours out of toronto, cork-sized city, about 15-20% cheaper than the GTA. decent job prospects imo for testers, web developers, analysts, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭FreeAnd..

No shortage of IT development (Java/JEE) work in downtown Toronto either...in fact its quite the opposite...I suppose the key as usual is experience though

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭velnias2010

Heya, im now in Toronto aswell, (well travelling around montreal - quebec at the moment, but be back next week) with a IT back ground mainly web development ASP/ASP.NET. How would you guys recommend to start the job hunt overthere ? i.e. just monster.ca ?

monster, workopolis, etc, but i would say its more important to try and meet people face to face; recruiters, hiring managers, etc. get in touch with employment agencies or immigrant employment assistance groups as well....dont just rely on applying through websites.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭ShortskirtCiara

Cant go over until probably march at this stage, wish they would open sooner than jan 2012. What are employers like with regards irish immigrants?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31 fayco

I am moving to Toronto on January 16th 2012, I have just qualified with an honours bachelor degree in music Education. I play traditional Irish music aswell. What would be my chances of getting a job as a music teacher or even getting gigs playing trad music?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

id imagine you'd be able to get trad gigs alright. wouldnt imagine you'll get anything as a teacher though, at least not in a school like, you'd have to have their qualification for that. they dont really care for european qualifications

http://www.torontoirishassociation.com

That group are always organising concerts, posting links to stuff goin on, etc, particularly from a cultural/music/point of view, so id get in touch with them and see what you find re gigs

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭ShortskirtCiara

Graduate with an honours bachelor degree in Marketing. What websites/companies in the toronto/vancouver region could I try contacting to say I would be interested in a job??

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭montreal2011

FreeAnd.. wrote: »
    No shortage of IT development (Java/JEE) work in downtown Toronto either...in fact its quite the opposite...I suppose the key as usual is experience though

Did you go on 12 month WHV or IEC?

I found that having only a 12 month visa puts a lot of them off, and many are unaware of the ins-and-outs of visas, staying after 12 months etc.

• Advertisement

Did you go on 12 month WHV or IEC?

I found that having only a 12 month visa puts a lot of them off, and many are unaware of the ins-and-outs of visas, staying after 12 months etc.

The IEC is a 12 month WHV...although admittedly it can now be extended to 2 12 month WHV but its not an issue with contracting anyway...I would usually only do 6 months or less...

well most companies would run a mile if you told them you were only staying 9-10 months...
    be tactful...say yes, its a 1 year visa, with the option of a second and afterwards you will look at residency. Its an option thats available to you, and it puts companies mind's at ease.
    If you find 9 months later you want to go home, well then so be it...people leave jobs all the time. If not, you're set

retalivity wrote: »
    well most companies would run a mile if you told them you were only staying 9-10 months...
    be tactful...say yes, its a 1 year visa, with the option of a second and afterwards you will look at residency. Its an option thats available to you, and it puts companies mind's at ease.
    If you find 9 months later you want to go home, well then so be it...people leave jobs all the time. If not, you're set

True, if you are looking for permanent work...not sure why anyone on a short term visa would look outside of contracts though...I suppose if the long term plan is to aim for sponsorship/residency then it makes sence...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭murraykil

FreeAnd.. wrote: »
    The IEC is a 12 month WHV...although admittedly it can now be extended to 2 12 month WHV but its not an issue with contracting anyway...I would usually only do 6 months or less...

I don't think it can be extended, but you can apply for a second one. It's a small but important difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Gem88

Hi all,

my boyfriend and I are travelling to toronto in january in hopes to find work in relation to our qualifications. I have an Honours degree in social care and he is a qualified civil engineer. I would really appreciate if anyone has any advice or useful contacts as im very anxious to hear other people's experience. Thanks.... :)

murraykil wrote: »
    I don't think it can be extended, but you can apply for a second one. It's a small but important difference.

yeah thats what I had meant - just worded badly :( - 2 separate 12 month visas (applied for separately with no extension) - I shouldnt have said extended...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 sirsonny

Gem88 wrote: »
    Hi all,

my boyfriend and I are travelling to toronto in january in hopes to find work in relation to our qualifications. I have an Honours degree in social care and he is a qualified civil engineer. I would really appreciate if anyone has any advice or useful contacts as im very anxious to hear other people's experience. Thanks.... :)

If you are looking for a job, just check these sites and you might find your chances. (this could help other people too)

https://www.staff.com (for full time work)
    https://www.elance.com
    https://www.odesk.com

Those are the trusted sites I know of at the moment. Other sites (a lot of them) are just scams.

Advertisement