Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Web Development course - Limerick

Options
  • 13-09-2011 2:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Not sure if this is the right forum but I'm looking for a night course in Limerick that covers PHP and Javascript for web development. I just saw that HSI is closing and it had a course I was interested in starting. Most courses only seem to cover HTML and photoshop which is not what I'm looking for.

Thanks....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭komodosp

I've done 3 different web dev courses in my life (thankfully I didn't have to pay for any of them) and each time it was really just the basic HTML and development tools such as dreamweaver / Frontpage.

I had to learn PHP by myself... TBH though it wasn't the hardest.

But it's really annoying, in no way does it prepare you for developing real web sites.

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭omen80

I have an undergrad in Computer Systems and worked in IT support for years, but I do prefer programming and web development is something I've gotten into lately. At the moment I'm unemployed and I don't like having gaps in the CV. I am learning PHP and Javascript from tutorials on the web but I think having a qualification on your CV would look better and more official.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Procasinator

If you can't find something suitable, Zend, the parent organisation of PHP, do PHP certification. It's probably not worth much, but might help as a CV filler.

The only other thing to do then is learn PHP and get some experience. Even if the experience is a hobby site, it's good to have something tangible to show.

I'd also recommend you check out the Springboard initiative (http://www.bluebrick.ie/Springboard) if you are unemployed: there might be a suitable course you are eligible for.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭John_Mc

omen80 wrote: »
    I have an undergrad in Computer Systems and worked in IT support for years, but I do prefer programming and web development is something I've gotten into lately. At the moment I'm unemployed and I don't like having gaps in the CV. I am learning PHP and Javascript from tutorials on the web but I think having a qualification on your CV would look better and more official.

I did Comp Sys in UL and also worked in IT support years ago during college. I'm now a software engineer with 5 years experience so I've an idea of how to get where you want to go.

You are obviously not computer illiterate so there's no need for web development courses. Teach yourself!

Find a project for yourself to work on, perhaps a personal blog website? Use it to document the problems and solutions that you had to overcome along the way.

Start with HTML and CSS. Once you've got your head around that, start looking at adding Javascript functionality.

Then start on some tutorials covering simple server-side functionality.

It's important to take things bit by bit, or you will get overwhelmed. One thing about Web/App development is that you can never stop learning. If you do, you get left behind and will miss out of using the latest and greatest technologies and techniques.

A good idea might be to create your own Wordpress theme from scratch. You could then aim to replace wordpress with your own custom built application.

This will take time but you'll learn so much and it will be invaluable when you're taking interviews for development positions.

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭omen80

John_Mc wrote: »
    I did Comp Sys in UL and also worked in IT support years ago during college. I'm now a software engineer with 5 years experience so I've an idea of how to get where you want to go.

You are obviously not computer illiterate so there's no need for web development courses. Teach yourself!

Find a project for yourself to work on, perhaps a personal blog website? Use it to document the problems and solutions that you had to overcome along the way.

Start with HTML and CSS. Once you've got your head around that, start looking at adding Javascript functionality.

Then start on some tutorials covering simple server-side functionality.

It's important to take things bit by bit, or you will get overwhelmed. One thing about Web/App development is that you can never stop learning. If you do, you get left behind and will miss out of using the latest and greatest technologies and techniques.

A good idea might be to create your own Wordpress theme from scratch. You could then aim to replace wordpress with your own custom built application.

This will take time but you'll learn so much and it will be invaluable when you're taking interviews for development positions.

Thanks for that. I'm using Drupal at the moment to work on a couple of websites. I've kind of figured out how to create a custom theme.
    I'm fairly ok with HTML and CSS but I don't know much about Javascript. I'm starting to look at tutorials on it from the w3 schools website.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭John_Mc

Yeah Javascript should be your next target and W3C Schools is one of the best resources to use.

Best of luck!

Advertisement