Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

washing stuffed animals

Options
  • 13-09-2011 2:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭

My son has a Tigger soft toy that he loves, brings him to bed and everything. Poor Tigger though is a bit grubby and could do with a good wash! I was thinking of putting him in the washing machine but I'm a bit reluctant to as I don't want him to get ruined as my son loves him so much. How do you usually washed your child's stuffed animals? Would washing machine be OK to use?

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Cottontail wrote: »
    My son has a Tigger soft toy that he loves, brings him to bed and everything. Poor Tigger though is a bit grubby and could do with a good wash! I was thinking of putting him in the washing machine but I'm a bit reluctant to as I don't want him to get ruined as my son loves him so much. How do you usually washed your child's stuffed animals? Would washing machine be OK to use?

New fibres are far more washable than those in the teddies we used to have.

I've washed my son's teddies in a wool wash with liquid detergent and they come out sparkling and the same shape they went in. They also dry pretty quickly.

I do remember my "Diddly" taking a spin in the washing machine. He went in as a Snoopy toy, came out as a kind of grey sausage. Still love him though. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭bobobear

Maybe put it in one of those net washing bags? Or alternatively, a pillowcase with a safety pin to keep it closed. That'll protect the eyes and things from coming off/getting scratched.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭RubyGirl

Op, I would put it into a pillow case first, but it should wash ok.

I would definately recommend you buy a second or third teddy just in case it gets lost etc. One in wash, one drying and one in the hotpress.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

we had a similar problem with 'teddy' he is/was white and not replaceable at this stage!

we put him in a pillowcase (with a small bit of the baby fairy clothes washing liquid inside the plastic cup in the pillowcase with him) i put comfort baby softner in the drawer, i then tied a knot in the pillowcase to lock him in and put him in a 30degree wash on the lowest spin
    (depending on your washing machine, ours has a baby clothes wash option and another button to lower the spin rate)

so if you have a delicate/baby cycle or just a colours wash.

he came out perfectly intact and white! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Cottontail

RubyGirl wrote: »
    Op, I would put it into a pillow case first, but it should wash ok.

I would definately recommend you buy a second or third teddy just in case it gets lost etc. One in wash, one drying and one in the hotpress.;)

Good idea! He was a present from my brother though, i'm not sure where he got him. I'll try the pillow case as well. I'm hoping to do this this evening or tomorrow so fingers crossed it all goes OK!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I put them on a handwash wool cycle in the washing machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Loonie

I've put my daughters pink bunny (small mothercare one, with no parts that could come off) and her glowworm in the wash several times at this stage. No problems. We've also got 3 bunnies (one home, one at the creche, and a spare) and 2 glowworms (home and creche - much easier to replace if we need to) because I'd hate to lose one!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Use the handwash cycle, but don't forget the straw!

Go to 1 Min 14 seconds in this clip . . . > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9TzdBvdfO4

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭crazy cat lady

I have an Elephant stuffed toy that I had as a baby. I still love it as to me it smells of my nanny's house.

However it got covered in mould a couple of years a go so I had no choice but to pop it in the washing machine. Came out lovely and white and plump and still with a faint smell of my nanny's house. Think it was a delicates wash.

I'm sure a modern toy would be fine on a gentle wash. Baby toys are designed to be durable.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Cottontail

well, Tigger got his wash the other night. It turned out fine, I put him in on a delicates wash and even put him in the tumble drier afterwards and he turned out perfectly so thanks to everyone for the advice, I won't be as nervous about washing him in the future! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 MelanieB

RubyGirl wrote: »

Best advice! I had to buy a tessy online for my little one as a member of family had sent one from England and it was getting so filthy it needed washing desparately. Beatrice Bunny is perfect for teething!http://www.justjellycat.co.uk/Browse-by-Animal/Bunnies/Beatrice-Bunny/p-7-108-2842/

Advertisement