Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it worth a new engine?

• 13-09-2011 2:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭

Sadly at the weekend the conrod came loose and made bits of the engine, it's a goner! I used the camper almost every weekend, and notched up about 20k on it over the last 8 months so I want to reinvest.

The camper is a 1994 ex-ambulance, Mercedes 310D, with 361,000km on the clock. I've tried a few scrapyards already but no joy, no sign of any of that model around. The other question is if it's really worth putting a new engine in. I'm guessing it'll cost around 1.5k in parts and labour to put it back on the road, the van has sentimental value as I spent the last 16 months working on converting it to a camper. On the flipside, 2-3k would get me a nice camper, I don't think I'd convert a van again given how much the process has changed since January.

For those interested here's the van in question:
    http://www.cambulance.com

Should I just cut my loses and buy a camper or would it really be worth putting an engine in it? (Possibly even fitting a transit engine or similar in it?)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭KrustyBurger

Have you tried Traynors in the North? They send a truck to Dublin every week. All you have to do is ring them and order. I got an engine there a few years ago.

I don't have their number offhand unfortunatly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,755 ✭✭✭meercat

sorry about your bad news
    dont give up
    after all your endeavours
    you could spend 3 grand and have the same problems again
    my advice is to source a replacement if possible
    at least with your camper you know where you stand
    best of luck
    keep us updated
    by the way ,loved your link and the music

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

My dads old 307D from 1978 is still going as far as we know i spotted in the last couple of years in macroom and sligo. So I'd say theres few years left in yours :) Not sure what engine is in the 310d but the 30xd and 20xd were the same at the 240d at the time but detuned. I'd say the chances are that there are a lot of engine that would bolt in.

When we were in spain last every tradesperson in the country seemed to have one of these I was tempted to pick up a totally rust free one for 800euro and bring it home.

Steve in Glamire, Cork is a pre '96 Merc dealer/mechanic and very reasonable. I'd be highly confident he'd have an engine for you or could source one in a fortnight. I had him replace my gearbox in a 308d last winter for €600 parts and labour for a reconditioned box.

086 8861049.

The 310D has a 602 5-cyclinder engine that's also in the 408D, 210D,and 410D.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,260 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

If its of sentimental value, then if it were me, I'd replace the engine. Its an old van, so its not going to be that complicated of a job to do and there will be less electrics involved etc......

then again, i'd have no problem changing the engine myself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,755 ✭✭✭meercat

then again, i'd have no problem changing the engine myself.

omg is there nothing you cant do :D

im embarrassed :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Aidan_M_M

each to their own as they say...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,260 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

meercat wrote: »
    omg is there nothing you cant do :D

im embarrassed :mad:

Well, I can't see without my glasses, and I know nothing about horses, does that count? :D

Advertisement