Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bike Box

• 13-09-2011 2:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hi,

I'm due to travel to the US for a race next month. I will be bringing my bike with me. I currently do not own a bike box and I was wondering if anybody on the site could recommend the best one? I want to make sure that my bike is not damaged in transit. Any advice greatly appreciated. I have seen a couple of models on Wiggle and Chain Reaction Cycles but I'm not sure which model is best.

Also do I need to reserve a spot for a bike box on Aer Lingus or is the box treated as over sized luggage?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

I've only travelled with the bike once and someone else arranged the flights, but I believe you do need to notify Aer Lingus (I think there's a sports equipment option on the booking page).

I didn't bother buying a box, I went into cyclesuperstore and got the bike packed into one of the cardboard boxes that their bikes are delivered in. Just needed to adjust the handlebars and put the front wheel back on when I arrived. I think they charged €15/20 for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 clareabu

Thanks hardCopy. It's a valid option but I would prefer a hard case box for piece of mind.

I know that you can rent a bike box but as I will be travelling alot over the coming months I have decided to bite the bullet and buy a travel case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I would rent one, then if you like it, buy it.

I think Wheelworx and FitzCycles rent them (Bikeboxalan and Sci Con boxes respectively).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 348 ✭✭cipo

www.bikeboxalan.co.uk

there is a link on the right of the page to their Irish rental service.

best on the market. cant buy peace of mind!!

yes you need to book bike onto aer lingus 40 each way....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

AFAIK to the US it is just part of your baggage allowance, the €40 is for short-haul within Europe. Bear on mind though that a boxed bike is very heavy and will take up most of your allowance.

http://aerlingus.com/help/help/baggageinformation/

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

€55 for a bike bag from CRC

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭dazed+confused

clareabu wrote: »
    I'm due to cycle to the US for a race next month.

Why do you need a packing box if you're cycling there? I didn't know they had built that bridge. Does it come into Achill or Knock?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

I'd not pack a bike at all before I'd put it in a bag, presuming it is carbon. I suspect a cardboard box from a shop would provide more protection.

FWIW I never pack my titanium tourer but my carbon road bikes always go in a hard shell case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

You really need to decide whether a hard shell or a soft case is what you need.

Obviously a hard case offers the best protection, but they are often quite heavy and this will eat into your baggage allowance. Some modern ones like the Polaris bikepod are quite narrow and have poor handle placement, so transporting them becomes an infuriating tight-rope act around the airport. Most importantly is space. Do you have space for the case when you get there? What about when you get home?

I'm going with a soft case myself. The decent ones are heavily padded. While not as protective as a hard case, they have the advantage of being light and many will pack flat.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭murtagh

I recently used a cardboard box from a bike shop on a return trip to France.

I went into overkill with the amount of foam packaging I padded the bike/derailleurs/shifters up with but it was well up to the task.
    I was also very generous with the duct tape and packaging tape along the outside edges of the box for reinforcement.

The box survived the return trip unscathed. 2 flights, and 300km in the back of a van with other bike bags & boxes stacked on top of it.

It was also minimal weight surplus over the weight of the bike itself.

The box was in solid condition when i got it - no tears or dents
    The foam I used was fairly high density & sturdy, came from packaging for computers & computer components. Secured it to the bike with cable ties.

The downside was the time I spent packing the bike for the 1st flight... but this was mostly down to overkill/paranoia about having enough foam in the right places. Was a much quicker job on the return, even with a hangover.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 clareabu

Thank you all for your replies.

My bike is fully carbon so I want a protective case as opposed to a soft shell bag. Piece of mind is key here. I have heard horror stories from people who have used carboard boxing and bike bags in the past so I have ruled both options out.

Also in regard to baggage allowance I am a frequent flyer on Aer Lingus so I will not have to worry about an upper weight threshold. From previous experience they tend to turn a blind eye to weight restrictions for frequent flyers.

Thanks again

Advertisement