Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Painting over melamine

• 13-09-2011 3:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭

I have some storage units that are a beech effect what I believe to be melamine.

I'm hoping to paint them black, what kind of paint would I need to get that would be suitable to use over melamine?

I'm also guessing that I would need some kind of primer?

If anyone could recommend a suitable primer/paint that I could pick up in the likes of Woodies / B&Q that would be great!

Thanks guys :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭sohappy

woodies have ronseal cuboard paint for this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭irelandspurs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

I opened a thread last week about painting a worktop. Would this cupboard paint do for that as well, sohappy?
    I got no replies so thought it was'nt possible and was going abandoning the plan.

red sean wrote: »
    I opened a thread last week about painting a worktop. Would this cupboard paint do for that as well, sohappy?
    I got no replies so thought it was'nt possible and was going abandoning the plan.

www.igoe.ie

Thanks irelandspurs, sounds like thats what I need. Have you used this stuff and is there a special paint that goes on after the primer or just gloss?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

Get ESP, Woodies sell it for about 18 euro.
    Works a treat

red sean wrote: »
    Thanks irelandspurs, sounds like thats what I need. Have you used this stuff and is there a special paint that goes on after the primer or just gloss?

No theres no special top coat but no matter what you use it will get scratched and chipped as its a worktop so will get alot of hardship so you could be painting it often,might be better to get a new worktop.
    When you have chosen your top coat i'd get an oilbased as will be a tougher finish and i'd pick up a small tin of this http://www.owatrol.com/index.php?langue=en&page=produits-rustol-owatrol its used instead of white spirit and makes the paint flow nicer and longer to play with.
    Also you must make sure you have cleaned the worktop thoroughly with warm water and sugar soap other wise your at nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 336 ✭✭CBYR1983

Recently used esp followed by dulux undercoat and colortrend French white satinwood on large wardrobe doors - nice finish, no chipping, flaking or otherwise. Seems durable. Just bought new knobs then in b&q.

Wouldn't dream of doing a workshop, IKEA sell cheap ones and they don't charge the earth for fitting apparently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 336 ✭✭CBYR1983

Ps, bin primer is another option, covers anything apparently, but I haven't used it.

Thanks for all the advice folks. This is just going to be a worktop in the office for the printers etc. so a coat of primer and paint will do fine! IKEA too far away for the sake of that!

• Advertisement
Advertisement