Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ideas for playing with a 3month old?

• 13-09-2011 3:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 747 ✭✭✭

Hi, my son is 3months old and im just looking for some ideas on how to pllay with him or any good developmental games/exercises i can do? He is laughing and smiling so i sing to him, make noises and do peek a boo etc to make him laugh, he also has a play mat but beyond that the majority of toys are for 6months+. Also he is startng to play with his hands alot more lately so was wondering if anyone can tell me when he will properly start to grasp things in his hands and pick them up properly?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭RubyGirl

Op you could try little games like

Round, and round the garden,
    this little piggie,
    incy wincy spider,
    making silly faces and see will he copy you,
    tummy time, put him on his tummy will help strenthen his back and help teach him to roll over,
    hold a toy just out of his reach and let him "swipe" to try catch it,
    telephone talk, pretend your talking on the phone to him,
    baby yoga is great, I did it with my lad at home and he loved it,
    baby swimming.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 747 ✭✭✭qwertytlk

Hi,thanks. Is he not too young at 12 wks to try grab things from me? Other suggestions great, though thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

Blow raspberries for him. My son thinks this is hilarious.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,962 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Bring them out for little walks in the sling.
    My babies loved it,watching the trees and the birds.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

+1 for the sling.. we still use an outward facing sling to bring our lad (now 8 months) on Sunday trips to the Zoo, Wax Museum, walks in the mountains etc.. they LOVE being up at your level, exploring the world :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

In the early learning centre and smyths you can get these straps for their arms, they fasten around their wrists with velcro and they jingle. I'm not sure how enjoyable it is for the baby, but if you put them on and watch them follow the jingle noise as they move their arms, it is hilarious and they'll also try and grab it, not with much success, but they'll give it a go :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 181 ✭✭pancuronium

Place different objects on your head as different hats....Teatowl, Jumper, Babygrow etc. Makes em laugh every time.

Thanks for all the ideas! Hannibal smith-how much is this jingle thing? Sounds great:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Sling him and carry on with your life.
    As has been mentioned they love this. Keeps them occupied and they get all the development they need. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

qwertytlk, this is the version of the wrist thing we have
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000I2Q0C2

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

We got a fisher price rainforest play gym as a present and my fella started getting interested in it at 3 months. I'd really recommend it even though it's expensive because my lad is almost 8 months and he still plays on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

http://www.lamazetoys.co.uk/lamaze-high-contrast-wrist-rattles-toy-738-p.asp

^^^ there's the kind of thing I'm talking about. I know the prices are in sterling, but there can't be that much of a difference.

Ahh they look lovely. Il be in town during the week so will have a look for them. Thanks! Btw, my son is gettin pretty heavy, id say he is about 14lbs now so just wondering how long can u use the sligs for? Id imagine you get a pretty sore back from it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭CathyMoran

I have a 3 month old too (and a 17 month old :D). I found the play gyms are great. She also has her rocking chair, I encourage her to feel the textures of some baby books and she loves flash cards with animals on them, she is starting to grasp things but it depends on the child. I see a hand, mummy on call again :)

Advertisement