Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fake exhausts rant

• 13-09-2011 4:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭

Here's one of my pet hates, fake exhausts. The Civic has one (sometimes 2), those nice little triangles do nothing, and today I'm driving behind a 2008 Audi 2.0Tdi with two rear pipes, the inner of the right one is pristine, the left one is black as you would expect.

Not quite up there world hunger but I hate stuff on cars that is pointless.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭Sitec

What's even worse is Lexus doing it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭Hiace.

and I'd like to add DMF's, DPF's, sealed alternators, sealed wheel bearings etc., having to remove the entire headlight to replace the bulb etc. to that list.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

I have to say the amount of S class mercs going around with quad exhausts is just silly - just shows that money doesn't buy class.

ps - I realise the op is talking about manufacturers pretending not Joe Soap but I find it just as galling.

btw - I always thought it strange the exhausts on either side fad started just as the green peace numpties

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,681 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

today I'm driving behind a 2008 Audi 2.0Tdi with two rear pipes, the inner of the right one is pristine, the left one is black as you would expect.

My 2.0TDI Golf has two exhausts, both as dirty as a pair of chimney sweeps :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Mine has 2 exhaust pipes but there's what I would call "surrounds" as part of the rear bumper. Does this count?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭bijapos

Porsche have been faking exhausts for some time, and seemingly have every intention of continuing it onto their latest 911, look carefully and you can see the smaller inner exhaust.

2013-porsche-911-carrera-rear-angle-picture.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭IrishZeus

My IS250 has two and pretty sure they both work....

TBC :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭pippip

Here's one of my pet hates, fake exhausts. The Civic has one (sometimes 2), those nice little triangles do nothing, and today I'm driving behind a 2008 Audi 2.0Tdi with two rear pipes, the inner of the right one is pristine, the left one is black as you would expect.

And the point in car paint is??????:D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,499 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

The corolla T Sport compressor was another offender, they had a functioning pipe on one side and a fake on the other a-la felt Boras etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭_Conrad_

Well it may be a bit stupid, but surely there are more important things to think about/worry about than whether or not there is a fake exhaust on someone else's car?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,121 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

My Civic is an offender. It has a single pipe to the back which splits at the end into two tailpipes. Looks better than if it had one and goes as if it really had two so I don't have any problem with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭ofcork

Sitec wrote: »
    What's even worse is Lexus doing it!

I think thats shocking,i assume you are referring to the is-f a 5 litre v8 and they put two fake exhausts on it,the m3 and the c63 have 4 working!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 213 ✭✭McP2011

Hiace. wrote: »
    and I'd like to add DMF's, DPF's, sealed alternators, sealed wheel bearings etc., having to remove the entire headlight to replace the bulb etc. to that list.

I'd recommend you read up on DMF's before saying there pointless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭Hiace.

McP2011 wrote: »

I recommend you drive and own diesels for 20 years as I have, before you bother trying to tell me DMF's are worth it.

I recommend you drive and own diesels for 20 years as I have, before you bother trying to tell me DMF's are worth it.

Aye sure who am I to say you are talking thrash ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

+1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

DMF's are the biggest fail ever..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭Mr.David

The worst (by far) standard fitment of fake exhausts is:

Drum-roll.........

The Ferrari California!!

Has a twin stack on each side and only one real pipe each side :eek:

Please feel free to correct me but I'm fairly sure its true!

bryaner wrote: »
    DMF's are the biggest fail ever..

Yea :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,663 ✭✭✭stealthyspeeder

I dont know why more car manufacturers havent adopted the Astra VXR/OPC style exhaust, simple, neat, efficient and good looking in my opinion.

Vauxhall-Astra_VXR_2005_800x600_wallpaper_0a.jpg

anything without a "V" engine and more than one outlet is a bit pretentious i think.

• Advertisement

anything without a "V" engine and more than one outlet is a bit pretentious i think.

...and the 6MPS????

...and the 6MPS????

they should have put the 1 one the 3 on it for my picky taste! :pac::pac:

they should have put the 1 one the 3 on it for my picky taste! :pac::pac:

You're forgetting though that the 3 is targeted at a younger market than the 6 hence the different exhaust tone.

I love the sound out of the exhausts on the 6 :D

You're forgetting though that the 3 is targeted at a younger market than the 6 hence the different exhaust tone.

I love the sound out of the exhausts on the 6 :D

I've yet to hear it, only seen about 3 in traffic and one went past me on the street at at about 10mph so dont know what they sound like. My opinion is just visual and from thinking about the path that the exhaust gases have to take

I've yet to hear it, only seen about 3 in traffic and one went past me on the street at at about 10mph so dont know what they sound like. My opinion is just visual and from thinking about the path that the exhaust gases have to take

It's a longer journey for the gases in the 6 than the 3 ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭ofcork

I think the version of the new laguna with twin exhausts looks good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

I have two... but they're genuine at least!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭YouTookMyName

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭OldGuysRule

I dont know why more car manufacturers havent adopted the Astra VXR/OPC style exhaust, simple, neat, efficient and good looking in my opinion.

Not much use if you want to put a hitch on it though!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

I'm going to put another 3 on mine after reading this thread :D

Not much use if you want to put a hitch on it though!

No manufacturer of a high performance car will recommend anything be towed by it. Hence why you don't see hitches on any high performance car from the factory.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭OldGuysRule

They may not recommend it but it does not stop people doing it!!

lamborghini-gallardo-9_800x0w.jpg

Porsche-997-pulling-trailer.jpg

20.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

On my old 1994 520i, it had twin pipes to the middle then a single pipe to the backbox and single tail exit. I guess I'm the other way round.... ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

cnocbui wrote: »
    My Civic is an offender. It has a single pipe to the back which splits at the end into two tailpipes. Looks better than if it had one and goes as if it really had two so I don't have any problem with it.
    I have a Delta integrale that's the same - TBH it does bother me just a little bit.

Advertisement